Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

W Silicon Valley - pre-transition to Aloft Silicon Valley [Master Thread]

W Silicon Valley - pre-transition to Aloft Silicon Valley [Master Thread]

Old Jul 15, 2007, 12:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by aviators99
...I stay at the Four Seasons.
Unless I can get the FS for under 250 a night, my Accounts Payable team is likely to run me over in the parking lot if I submit a receipt for a stay there.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 12:23 am

Programs: HH Diamond, AA LifeTime Plat, DL Plat, Amex Centurion, Hertz Plaitnum
I too was in the Palo Alto area last month, I stayed in both the W SV and The Westin Palo Alto. The Westin is a real nice upper class hotel, good food and very well trained staff. Whereas the W was "nothing to write home about", it's based in the middle of no man's land in an industrial area and has a cheap feel, kind of like a Holiday Inn with the W aroma.

But then for the weekend we checked into the St. Regis in San Francisco and that was truly amazing....
Old Jul 15, 2007, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Now I'm wondering if I should choose the Hyatt instead of the Hilton for the nights I can't book a Starwood hotel somewhere. If I do about 2 stays a month, by the end of the year I should be a Diamond in one of the programs. It's probably a dumb question to ask on the Starwood board, but with Hyatt properties being generally nicer than most Hiltons, is the Hyatt program a better choice than Hhonors?

There appears to be a Hyatt location very close to my office.
I guess you mean the Hyatt Santa Clara by the convention center. Stayed there this past weekend. This used to be an Westin and nice enough property undergoing renovation and the renovated rooms seems more Danish modern with a nice flat screen tv and interesting but not as pratical bathroom. I was treated pretty well as a Hyatt Diamond but not sure I would stay there at the high weekday rates.

For Hyatt, you need 25 stays for Diamond so you would not get Diamond for the rest of the year for 2 stay a month. Hilton the Gold at 16 stays have some benefits vs 28 stays for Diamond so despite the fact I prefer Hyatt, I would say use Hilton as your backup.

Last edited by Snoopyo; Jul 15, 2007 at 12:34 pm
Old Jul 15, 2007, 11:30 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Have you included the Sheraton Sunnyvale in your plans? This hotel, just opp. NASA Ames, is convenient to Santa Clara and u/gs Plats whenever avail. to the Club level which rooms were recently remodeled with new furn. and flat panel TVs. There is a Faz restaurant on the prop. and club lounge. High speed is comp. on the club level. Occup. tends to run high M thru Wed. but can drop off during summer.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 7:52 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
Have you included the Sheraton Sunnyvale in your plans? This hotel, just opp. NASA Ames, is convenient to Santa Clara and u/gs Plats whenever avail. to the Club level which rooms were recently remodeled with new furn. and flat panel TVs. There is a Faz restaurant on the prop. and club lounge. High speed is comp. on the club level. Occup. tends to run high M thru Wed. but can drop off during summer.
Funny you should mention that...I had my reservation at the Sunnyvale property for the Monday night (it's sold out the rest of the week along with the SJ), but I switched back to the Sheraton San Jose after reading some reviews here at FT which were not too favorable about the Sunnyvale property.

I stayed at the SJ property a few weeks ago and was put in an upgraded/renovated room (suites were not ready for check-in) and given a breakfast coupon for the morning buffet. I thought the hotel was quite nice....but the traffic on Montague just about killed me the next morning.

Has the Sunnyvale property experienced a recent upgrade in quality and service?
Old Jul 16, 2007, 9:30 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
We've only stayed during weekend nights this yr. and have been pleased with the Club floor room updating and attentive service. Property has been quiet on the weekends. Don't know how it does during the week. If you can get a pool view (half the rooms on the club level have this), you won't hear traffic.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
We've only stayed during weekend nights this yr. and have been pleased with the Club floor room updating and attentive service. Property has been quiet on the weekends. Don't know how it does during the week. If you can get a pool view (half the rooms on the club level have this), you won't hear traffic.
Would you rate the quality of the rooms, amenities and service above the Sheraton San Jose?
Old Jul 17, 2007, 1:01 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
It's best to book Sunnyvale and make your own comparision. I prefer the balcony suites in Milpitas, but both have their own advantages.

Last edited by hedoman; Jul 17, 2007 at 11:14 pm
Old Jul 17, 2007, 2:08 pm
Senior Moderator

Re the Sheraton San Jose, haven't stayed there for >2 yrs. so couldn't compare if the Sheraton SJC has updated. At the time, I'd say the current Sheraton club floor rooms are superior to the (then) Sheraton rooms. And the noise in the Sheraton SJC area on weekends was loud.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
This W doesn't have any rooms with 2 beds (other than the 2 bedroom suites) right? I was trying to book a suite with 2 beds and noticed that there was no 2 bed option under bed preference. Why would they ever build a hotel with no 2 bed rooms? I don't want to share a bed with my roomate.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I'll be there one night next week as I'm on my big plat requalifying run this month and its got a rate thats tough to beat; I'm arriving at SFO around 8:30 p.m.; whats the best way to get there as i've seen a couple of different ways and I can't really tell from the maps. How far is the property from Downtown SJ?

as you can see I am not familiar with this part of the bay area?

oh yeah.. do they charge for parking?

where do you get a cup of joe in the morning?
Old Aug 1, 2007, 4:22 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
This W doesn't have any rooms with 2 beds (other than the 2 bedroom suites) right? I was trying to book a suite with 2 beds and noticed that there was no 2 bed option under bed preference. Why would they ever build a hotel with no 2 bed rooms? I don't want to share a bed with my roomate.
I can't see any rooms with anything other than a king, but some have sofas that make out into a double.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Aug 1, 2007, 4:26 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
..How far is the property from Downtown SJ?
Approximately 20 miles.

No, parking is free.

Hotel restaurant seems to open at 06:30. The W Cafe area looks to be open at 06:00.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Aug 1, 2007, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I'll be there one night next week as I'm on my big plat requalifying run this month and its got a rate thats tough to beat; I'm arriving at SFO around 8:30 p.m.; whats the best way to get there as i've seen a couple of different ways and I can't really tell from the maps. How far is the property from Downtown SJ?

as you can see I am not familiar with this part of the bay area?

1) Arriving 830pm, you should have no problem taking 101 south to Marsh Rd/Bayfront Expwy, which is CA84 east - go over the bridge and continue on 84 and exit Thornton, follow it to Gateway and make a quick left - the hotel is right there. Don't ask why they put a W Hotel there in the middle of almost nowhere, but Sun has a huge complex behind the hotel off Jarvis.

2) To get to San Jose, it depends on the time of day. Taking 84 east to 880 south is probably faster and shorter than going back over the bridge to 101

3) Parking is free and plentiful, and the bar has a small breakfast buffet in the morning. If you're a Plat, you can ask them for a voucher at check-in.

I'll be there again tonight and will post any new or interesting experiences
Old Aug 1, 2007, 8:29 pm

Correction: Re Breakfast

Apparently the front desk clerk misspoke about the breakfast benefit for Platinums on my last visit. There is no such benefit (according to tonight's desk clerk) - but he gave me a coupon 'as a courtesy - just this time only'.

To be honest, the breakfast buffet is very small and basic and not worth paying for...so if you don't get the coupon, there are some nice local spots for breakfast that are just as good and 1/4 the price

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.