Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Boston: which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boston: which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by RafKa
Have an upcoming 1-night stay. Rates for the night are exactly the same. I've stayed at the Sheraton about 5 yrs ago, and have bad memories of overcrowded elevators in rush hour and a very meh Club Lounge. Seems like I wasm't given a room on club floor with the express elevator. And from what I read here, has the lounge vastly improved?

Anyway - never stayed at the Westin. Which one should I choose?
Sheraton. It's much, much better located, attached to The Prudential Center. Better food at the Pru.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
I have a hard time saying the Sheraton is much better located than the Westin: that depends on which direction you are going to be going out to and what destinations you intend to be frequenting. They are very close to each other the Prudential Center is attached to the Copley Place mall by covered walkway.

As for hands down taking Westin 's over Sheratons, i think over a protracted stay, i would agree. If I'm looking for a full breakfast (comped as Plat or otherwise) or other meals / food, i would agree.

If i wanted to maximize my points and have quick and easy access to the Club for juice/sft drinks overnight and / or a quick bagel, fruit, and coffee in the morning, i will sometimes choose a Sheraton over a Westin. I don't think the Westin Heavenly bed and / or sheets and linens are discernably better than Sheraton's newer products.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Thanks to everyone - looks like I'll go for the Westin. Many of you mentioned a comped breakfast at the Westin - I assumed now they have a Club Lounge, that's the only option. What's the continental option like at the restaurant? Cold items from buffet?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Thanks to everyone - looks like I'll go for the Westin. Many of you mentioned a comped breakfast at the Westin - I assumed now they have a Club Lounge, that's the only option. What's the continental option like at the restaurant? Cold items from buffet?
The comped breakfast I was referring to was the 500 point exchange of platinum amenity for free breakfasts.

IMO, Westin's generally have meaningfully better food, especially breakfast, including the Juicery, which otherwise makes up for the lack of fresh OJ, and then some. I don't know what this Westin's Platinum breakfast policy is as practiced.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
I'm staying here on points for 2 nights in October since they have a Club Lounge. I'm guessing breakfast in the lounge + 500 points?
Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:35 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by nologic
I have a hard time saying the Sheraton is much better located than the Westin: that depends on which direction you are going to be going out to and what destinations you intend to be frequenting. They are very close to each other the Prudential Center is attached to the Copley Place mall by covered walkway.

That was EXACTLY my point. I was repeating the post above me. Too subtle? I thought it was obvious. It's ridiculous to say that one is "better located" than the other. Even sillier, "much, much better located" . They're very close, and it all depends on what the guest has planned.

Last edited by clublounger; Apr 1, 2017 at 4:42 am
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:46 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Have an upcoming 1-night stay. Rates for the night are exactly the same. I've stayed at the Sheraton about 5 yrs ago, and have bad memories of overcrowded elevators in rush hour and a very meh Club Lounge. Seems like I wasm't given a room on club floor with the express elevator. And from what I read here, has the lounge vastly improved?

Anyway - never stayed at the Westin. Which one should I choose?
Sheraton hands down: Better upgrades and club lounge for breakfast and snacks.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
wow rates are high in July! But such is summer i suppose.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:15 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I was shocked to see prices for Boston downtown area in the first week of October. I'm not exactly 'cheap' on a holiday, but $300 to $500 a night is not in my wallet

I found a BRG rate for Le Meridien Cambridge - MIT, which would bring it down to about $240 a night (+ taxes). We thought that this would be a nice area. I've been to Boston once, many years ago. We just want to explore some of the city and I remember that the area towards Havard/MIT was very nice. What can we expect?!

I'm SPG Plat. It's either this hotel or no SPG hotel at all (my partner is leaning towards that, I'm trying to avoid this )

We are there for 2 nights only, then renting a car to drive to Vermont.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:17 am

Due to currency exchange and high prices, I redeemed 2 nights in high season (16k points per night) at the Westin Boston Copley Place since there's an Executive Lounge. Was thinking to stay 1 night at The Envoy Hotel for 15k Starpoints (45k MR) but there's no lounge there.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck
Due to currency exchange and high prices, I redeemed 2 nights in high season (16k points per night) at the Westin Boston Copley Place since there's an Executive Lounge. Was thinking to stay 1 night at The Envoy Hotel for 15k Starpoints (45k MR) but there's no lounge there.
Maybe I should stay 1 night at The Liberty Hotel since it's only 4k Starpoints more.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by kevinflyaway
I found a BRG rate for Le Meridien Cambridge - MIT, which would bring it down to about $240 a night (+ taxes). We thought that this would be a nice area. I've been to Boston once, many years ago. We just want to explore some of the city and I remember that the area towards Havard/MIT was very nice. What can we expect?!
The immediate vicinity is hit and miss. It's mostly student oriented bars and eateries, but you won't find the same vibe you have around Harvard Sq, which is a 20 min walk away, or 1-2 stops on the T. Having said that, you're close to the river. In short: not the greatest location for a short stay, compared to Back Bay, Beacon Hill, but far from being a deal breaker.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Maybe I should stay 1 night at The Liberty Hotel since it's only 4k Starpoints more.
Had dinner there on Wed (budget busting room rate so just a visit)...one of the coolest Starwood properties in the world IMO.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
The immediate vicinity is hit and miss. It's mostly student oriented bars and eateries, but you won't find the same vibe you have around Harvard Sq, which is a 20 min walk away, or 1-2 stops on the T. Having said that, you're close to the river. In short: not the greatest location for a short stay, compared to Back Bay, Beacon Hill, but far from being a deal breaker.
I just got my BRG confirmed. We don't mind looking up the buzzing area's, compared to begin in the middle of it

Thanks for our thoughts though!
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
I stayed at the Le Meridien MIT for one night this spring before the Boston Marathon. As I was running the marathon in the morning, I didn't really explore much. The facilities were great, though. Room and main areas were lovely. They also went all-out for the marathon, providing official guides and extra early-morning coffee, water, apples, etc. I know that event won't be going on while you are there, but to me, it was a sign of the staff and hotel paying extra attention to guests. Easy walk to the T from there if taking public transportation and also a nice walk to the river with great views of Boston.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.