Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Best rate guarantee - successes and failures 2008 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best rate guarantee - successes and failures 2008 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by silverfalls
You can't be serious. In my experience with all BRG claims across different hotel brands including SPG, I have seen most of the time, they are looking for ways to decline the BRG claim instead of verifying whether the claim is genuine and fixing the price from their end(I believe the original objective of the program is to encourage customers to book on their site without having to worry about lowest available price elsewhere).

IMHO, they should verify whether the claim is genuine, if it is then they should fix the price in their end and match the BRG claim(whatever was promised). After all the customer is helping you find the bugs/incorrect price.

Just my 2 cents
Of course I'm serious - to say someone is dishonest is basically saying they are not honest, disposed to lie, cheat, or steal; not worthy of trust or belief: a dishonest person or proceeding from or exhibiting lack of honesty; fraudulent: a dishonest advertisement. This is from the dictionary. I think that is a term that doesn't describe the situation - if they were "disposed to lie, cheat, or steal" I'm sure some whistleblower would come forward by now. That is a serious accusation.

I'd stand by "mistaken" which is wrongly conceived, held, or done: a mistaken antagonism. or erroneous; incorrect; wrong: a mistaken answer or having made a mistake; being in error.

Nobody on this forum should do business with SPG if you truly think they are dishonest - that is just an above and beyond term that hasn't been proven true.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:27 pm

Programs: united
Final Resolution

AFter two calls back and one hour of holding the BRG representative said the supervisor said Starwood BRG should take responsibility and approve the claim "not because we did anything wrong" but because "we should have known better that Kayak was offering direct rates". When BRG initially rejected the claim they said it was because there were no direct bookings for Kayak. By the third day when they realized that it was possible to make direct bookings the rate was already gone and they had denied it because they said they could not find this published rate.

The person who worked on my claim said they would not take screen shots because people could use Photoshop to compose false rates. He also said the hotels are penalized by Starwood if they sell a rate under the rates offered on the Starwood sites...
Old Apr 23, 2011, 6:29 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by pwflyer
AFter two calls back and one hour of holding the BRG representative said the supervisor said Starwood BRG should take responsibility and approve the claim "not because we did anything wrong" but because "we should have known better that Kayak was offering direct rates". When BRG initially rejected the claim they said it was because there were no direct bookings for Kayak. By the third day when they realized that it was possible to make direct bookings the rate was already gone and they had denied it because they said they could not find this published rate.

The person who worked on my claim said they would not take screen shots because people could use Photoshop to compose false rates. He also said the hotels are penalized by Starwood if they sell a rate under the rates offered on the Starwood sites...
So this is a good outcome. And I can see how Starwood won't take screenshots normally. Glad it worked out for you and thanks for educating the BRG team about Kayak.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 7:55 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by UAFlyer01
My personal experience tells me that Hilton BRG is really a joke compared to all others. I once booked a hotel from Hilton's own website and then found a much lower rate at expedia (both refundable rate). I submitted a claim and was denied. I was told that with Hilton rate, I pay the rate when I check in. but with expedia, I pay when I make the reservation. So they are not the same rate!!
At least you got an explanation! I submitted my claim, was asked for a screenshot which I promptly submitted and then never heard from Hilton again.

Yes OP, go over and read the success of Hilton's best rate guarantee. Hilton will truly appreciate your business should you leave SPG for them.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
They ignore refundability because all rates are refundable on spg.com with respect to BRG. Regardless of the rate being compared, you can book a fully refundable rate on spg.com after being accepted. As long as the room type is the same, they don't care.

I can usually get 3-4 per year, but there are others who get BRG claims on pretty much all their stays.

I don't really understand what you mean....
Old Apr 23, 2011, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by uxb
I have only been able to execute two successful BRG claims for the entire time I have been with SPG. My hassle-free claim was for the Le Meridien Grand Pacific Tokyo Hotel (no longer w/ SPG). That was back in '07. A year later, like you, my hassle-filled claim was for the Sheraton Barra da Tjiuca Hotel & Suites. SPG did not want to honour my BRG claim because they didn't acknowledge it, took to long to research it, and/or did not want to process it. I complained to customer service, and ended up getting 2000 *pts for my efforts, and a rate that was even lower than the rate I found on Expedia.

In general, I find that these hotel companies (especially Hilton) have a solid lock on the prices that third-party vendors offer. There is no variation/deviation from the BAR. The only time you can get a deal from these vendors is when they offer a coupon, which means no *pts. At best, it's a cr*psh**t, but not necessarily dishonest.

Sorry.
Really?

I just did a quick search in the BRG thread, and I have posted 20 BRGs that I have found/booked since May 2008. (I'm relatively new to SPG and BRGs and I struggle to make my 25 stays per year.) I don't think I even posted them all, plus I haven't listed all the ones I've found for friends. So yes, it can be done!

OTOH, I've had ZERO luck with Hilton. Don't stay there anymore either.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MSPDeltaDude
I don't really understand what you mean....
Let's say you find a valid BRG by comparing SPG's non-refundable rate with another site's refundable rate. Once it's approved, you do not have to book that non-refundable rate on spg.com. Book any rate you want that has the same room type (assuming it doesn't have additional features), refundable or not.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:19 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by scubadu
All the things that get reported on FT, customer services frustrations, unrealized expectations, etc. have occurred since time began. However, in today's Internet, Facebook, Foursquare, Twitter, need everyone to know everything happening to me in real time culture, many on FT feel they must share every single, solitary customer experience issue they have with 5000 of their closet friends, while sitting around liquored up in their underwear, hovering over the warm glow of LCD screens rather than simply handling the issue as they would for any other customer issue they might have with their plumber, auto mechanic, florist, etc.
I'm really not sure if the part in bold was a typo.

Originally Posted by controller1
I feel bad. I think I'll go get dressed.
Suit yourself (no pun intended), but I'm inclined to go get a mid-day drink! I think I've been doing this whole social networking thing the wrong way!
Old Apr 23, 2011, 3:24 pm

Second successful BRG claim this weekend:

Hotel Name: The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C.
Arrival Date: 04-30-2011
Departure Date: 05-01-2011
Room Type: superior
Actual confirmed rate: $160.99 USD + taxes (Expedia)
SPG Rate: $179
Claim reference number: 201104236924

Chose 2,000 Points.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Welcome to FT jasonwc! Congrats on your 2 BRGs, however, for this to be helpful to anyone else, you would need to tell us where you found the competing rates. Please feel free to edit your posts and add this information.

Thanks!
Old Apr 23, 2011, 9:21 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Welcome to FT jasonwc! Congrats on your 2 BRGs, however, for this to be helpful to anyone else, you would need to tell us where you found the competing rates. Please feel free to edit your posts and add this information.
The second one says Expedia. I know that the first one is (or at least was) available from otel.com.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sc flier
I'm really not sure if the part in bold was a typo.
Urrrghhh, yes spelling typo, good catch. Post edited.

Regards
Old Apr 24, 2011, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by scubadu
Because, as I stated in my earlier post, FT seems to have created and almost celebrates a culture that thrives on melodramatic statements that are made primarily out of initial, emotional reactions.

All the things that get reported on FT, customer services frustrations, unrealized expectations, etc. have occurred since time began. However, in today's Internet, Facebook, Foursquare, Twitter, need everyone to know everything happening to me in real time culture, many on FT feel they must share every single, solitary customer experience issue they have with 5000 of their closest friends, while sitting around liquored up in their underwear, hovering over the warm glow of LCD screens rather than simply handling the issue as they would for any other customer issue they might have with their plumber, auto mechanic, florist, etc.

And perhaps more sadly, many of these threads on FT end up with both the most views and the most posts.s
Did you forget to log on as pwflyer?
Old Apr 24, 2011, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl

Thanks!
Sorry about that. The first price was quoted from Otel.com (and was still available yesterday at the lower price). The second quote was from Expedia, and was an expired Starpick from this week.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 7:30 am

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Let's say you find a valid BRG by comparing SPG's non-refundable rate with another site's refundable rate. Once it's approved, you do not have to book that non-refundable rate on spg.com. Book any rate you want that has the same room type (assuming it doesn't have additional features), refundable or not.
Cool! Thank!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.