Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Best rate guarantee - successes and failures 2008 on [Master Thread]

Best rate guarantee - successes and failures 2008 on [Master Thread]

Old Jun 12, 2010, 2:20 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by chebraccia
I figured I would try my luck with a different agent, to see if they might approve despite the Breakfast GTA offers.. but not such luck.

Since I'm plat the deluxe is not worth paying for. I'll stick with LM BKK and book direct with SPG at this hotel on my last day as the price is lower (4500)...
So they consistently stuck by their rule that they won't match a lower rate if the lower rate offers breakfast as an additional inclusion. The T&Cs are moronic in this way, but they followed their own rules as I think has been well documented in earlier cases in this thread.

I understand not wanting to pay extra for Grand Deluxe as a Plat. In case you or anyone else is interested, there's a Luxury Upgrade rate available for a Grand Deluxe room at the price of a Deluxe with a min stay of 2 nights. Cat4 C&P awards are also offered.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 5:44 pm

approved

Hotel Name: Sheraton Bucks County Hotel

Arrival Date : 06-19-2010

Departure Date : 06-20-2010

Number of Adults :2

Number of Children : 0

Number of Rooms : 1

Room Type : standard king

Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate : 209

Company room provider : Other Web Site

Other Company room provider :booking.com

Competing rate : 199
Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:01 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, CX Marco Polo Gold, AA Platinum
approved

Hotel Name: The Westin San Francisco Airport

Arrival Date : 07-09-2010

Departure Date : 07-10-2010

Room Type : Standard

Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate : 129.00

Other Company room provider :easyclicktravel.com

Competing rate : 102.18
Old Jul 2, 2010, 12:36 am

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
approved; W Dallas - Victory

Hotel Name:W-Dallas Victory

Arrival Date : 07-02-2010

Departure Date : 07-03-2010

Room Type : Wonderful

Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate : 199

Other Company room provider : priceline.com non-prepaid

Competing rate : 164.25

And the best part is I got gold-upgraded to a 'cool corner room' ^
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Pres Club, Starwood Gold, NEXUS
Thumbs up approved: US Grant San Diego

Hotel Name: The US Grant San Diego

Arrival Date : 08-08-2010

Departure Date : 08-11-2010

Number of Rooms : 2

Room Type : Superior King

Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate : 160.30

Company room provider : Expedia.ca

Competing rate : 137.29 CDN

Opted for 10% and got both rooms for $123.46US
Old Jul 23, 2010, 8:04 pm

Programs: SPG
BRG Claim Failed

Hotel Name: Sheraton Dongguan Hotel
Arrival Date: 07-24-2010
Departure Date: 07-25-2010
Number of Adults: 2
Number of Children: 0
Number of Rooms: 1
Room Type: Superior
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate: CNY 738
Company room provider: Other Web Site
Other Company room provider: Ctrip
Competing rate: CNY 555

Both rates included breakfast.

Reply: The Best Rate Guarantee does not apply to rates that include additional services or amenities that are not provided by the hotel. These rates, called packaged rates, include extras that are paid for by a third-party, in this case ctrip.com. Common examples of packaged rates are those that include breakfast or parking where this is actually paid for by a voucher or by a separate charge to the third-party. As the competing rate that you have provided includes breakfast, for two it is considered a package rate and as a result I am not able to approve this claim for you.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 8:09 pm

Programs: SPG
BRG Claim Approved

Hotel Name: Sheraton Dongguan Hotel
Arrival Date: 07-24-2010
Departure Date: 07-25-2010
Room Type: Superior
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate: CNY 638
Other Company room provider: China Travel Depot
Competing rate: CNY 522
Award: 2000 points

In my experience, the stay details (includingthe rate) will not be displayed after the claim is approved. For this incident, I found this "Rate Description: Best Rate Guarantee. A Customer With A Valid Brg Claim Will Be Offered A Choice Of Matching The Rate And Either Receiving 2000 Spg Points Or Receiving10% Off The External Rate." together with the new rate. Is there a change in policy?
Old Jul 23, 2010, 8:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mastiff
In my experience, the stay details (includingthe rate) will not be displayed after the claim is approved. For this incident, I found this "Rate Description: Best Rate Guarantee. A Customer With A Valid Brg Claim Will Be Offered A Choice Of Matching The Rate And Either Receiving 2000 Spg Points Or Receiving10% Off The External Rate." together with the new rate. Is there a change in policy?
And all I get is
We have found your reservation. It is not possible to display this particular reservation online. This is usually due to an unusual or complex rate or set of rates associated with the reservation in question. For questions regarding this reservation, please contact the Customer Contact Center nearest you.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:47 am

Advice please

I'll post hotel details once I've submitted my claim but will be intentionally vague at present

Have found a hotel which has a lowest rate on SPG of $300 which is the BAR rate. The lowest rate for an equal room (2 single beds) with breakfast included in the rate on SPG is the Corporate Rate at $550. A competing website has Classic Room 2 Single Beds with Buffet Breakfast included for $118/night (there is no rate without breakfast)

Is my best chance of having the BRG approved going to be by booking the Corporate Rate at $550/night as this is the only equivalent rate with same room type and breakfast?
Old Jul 30, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Is my best chance of having the BRG approved going to be by booking the Corporate Rate at $550/night as this is the only equivalent rate with same room type and breakfast?
Your best chance is never to book the room on spg.com first. Submit your claim(s), and only book once it's accepted. Though in this case, I don't think you have a very good chance with either one.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 12:59 pm

Well you were half right!

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Your best chance is never to book the room on spg.com first. Submit your claim(s), and only book once it's accepted. Though in this case, I don't think you have a very good chance with either one.
Thanks for the response. I claimed for 2 single night stays 4 nights apart. The claims were processed by different agents.

1st response

Dear 3544quebec

Thanks for sending in your Best Rate Guarantee claim.

The confirmation number for your reservation will remain the same. Please present this e-mail upon arrival at the hotel.

Guest Name: 3544quebec
Arrival Date: 11 August 2010
Departure Date: 12 August 2010
Room Type: Classic with breakfast
Actual confirmed rate: $118.09 USD plus taxes
Claim reference number: xxxxxxxxxxx

Please allow up to 14 days after date of departure to for the 2,000 Starpoints to be credited to your account.

2nd response

Dear3544quebec,

As the competing rate that you have provided includes buffet breakfast, it is considered a package rate and as a result I am not able to approve this claim for you.

The Best Rate Guarantee does not apply to rates that include additional services or amenities that are not provided by the hotel. These rates, called packaged rates, include extras that are paid for by a third-party, in this case loyalty.octopustravel.co.uk. Common examples of packaged rates are those that include breakfast or parking.

The inconsistencies of this program are ridiculous. I like the wording of the 2nd rejection that says that the breakfast is not provided by the hotel - obviously someone from the competing website (UK based) will be coming to serve me my breakfast at the Sheraton Sao Paulo.

Hopefully the 1st agent will not be re-educated so that rather than applying the spirit of the law she will in future follow the 2nd agent in applying the letter of the law.

The night's stay for the 2nd night will now be at the Golden Tulip Belas Artes rather than the Sheraton Sao Paulo

Last edited by 3544quebec; Aug 1, 2010 at 1:28 pm
Old Aug 6, 2010, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
BRG success in Las Vegas!

Hotel Name: Westin Casuarina
Arrival Date: 10-18-2010
Departure Date: 10-19-2010
Number of Adults: 1
Room Type: King
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate: $139
Other Company room provider: www.gtahotels.com
Competing rate: $74

Approved BRG rate: $77.68
Naturally, there will be the $9.50 resort fee on top of that.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 4:12 pm

W Hong Kong - approved

Took a bit of correspondence, as the staff could not locate the rate at first, hence I had to send screenprint.

Hotel Name: W Hong Kong
Arrival Date: 28 Aug 2010
Departure Date: 29 Aug 2010
Number of Children: 1
Room Type: Wonderful
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate: HKD 2,850 (Best Rate with Breakfast)
Company room provider: SPG.com
Competitor room provider: [PM me for details]
Competing rate: USD 227.63 = HKD 1,766.96 (including breakfast)
Approved rate: HKD 1,590.26 (10% discount)
Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:23 pm

Hotel Name: Westin Kuala Lumpur
Arrival Date : 21-10-2010
Departure Date : 23-10-2010
Number of Children : 1 (16 years)
Room Type : Exec Club Room
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate : MYR921.80 per night (AUS319.70)
Other Company room provider :zuji.com.au
Competing rate : AUS209.60 per night
Are the currencies of the Starwood brand Web site and the competing rate the same? : No

This is the first time I submitted a claim so did so BEFORE I booked. I then received an email I have reviewed your claim and I am happy to inform you that the information you have provided qualifies for the Best Rate Guarantee offer. so I booked on the SPG site:

Rooms: 1
Adults Per Room: 3

Room Rate: MYR812.00per Night*

Room rate excludes the following:
Service Charge: (10.00%Per Room / Per Night) = 73.20
Tax: (5.00%Per Room / Per Night) = 36.60
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Avg EstRoom Totalper Night*MYR921.80
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thios is a non-refunable rate (I paid in full on the SPG website)and I sent the conformation number to [email protected]. I assume they refund the difference? Do they just refund this to my Credit Card?
Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by yarrowfell
Thios is a non-refunable rate (I paid in full on the SPG website)and I sent the conformation number to [email protected]. I assume they refund the difference? Do they just refund this to my Credit Card?
This advice is too late in your case, but after getting approval, I've always booked a refundable rate to avoid just such questions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.