FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   GONE : Westin Aruba (Leaving Starwood February 27, 2014) [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/622792-gone-westin-aruba-leaving-starwood-february-27-2014-master-thread.html)

aaflyer757 Jan 15, 2009 7:59 am

Is May considered a busy time of year here? I was wondering what my Gold upgrade chances are

FormerLurker Jan 15, 2009 8:06 am

Thank you

Thanks for the replies. I am a bit closer to a decision but not there yet. I've actually eliminated the Marriott after looking a bit closer at the map and after an uninspiring e-mail exchange with the hotel.

Plus, I also noticed that I could upgrade my SPG reservation into a junior suite for $100/nt, meaning I could get a suite at either the Ren or the Westin for the same cash outlay. Decisions, decisions.... I'll take a look at the Hyatt as suggested but if their rates are comparable to the Ren or Westin, I'm thinking that I might just want to use points for the stay.

In terms of value of points, my SPG balance is just under 100K and my MR balance is 1.1M, so I have to think some more about which way to go.

Renard Jan 15, 2009 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by dan1977 (Post 11080715)
Is May considered a busy time of year here? I was wondering what my Gold upgrade chances are

I would say decent....when I was there once in Aug, I got a gold upgrade to what they call something like a 'family sized room' with an ISLAND view.

ExpAAt05 Feb 7, 2009 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by dan1977 (Post 11080715)

There's a good chance I may be there in May as well..

On another note, some of the room descriptions specify "limited view". Does anyone know what that means? Is it limited as in "can't really see the water too well", or is it limited as in "facing the kitchen"?

Thanks

Renard Feb 8, 2009 6:49 am

Originally Posted by ExpAAt05 (Post 11220059)
There's a good chance I may be there in May as well..

On another note, some of the room descriptions specify "limited view". Does anyone know what that means? Is it limited as in "can't really see the water too well", or is it limited as in "facing the kitchen"?

Thanks

My guess is that it means that it is on a lower floor and facing another part of the hotel or facing the big Riu hotel next door.

lombardi61 Feb 20, 2009 6:39 am

Westin Aruba downgraded

Reading this thread certainly led me to believe that it was questionable if the Westin Aruba was really worth being rated an SPG 5. Now as of March 2009, it will be an SPG 4. Not a huge difference, but close to getting a sixth night free for the same amount of points!:cool:

Machiavelli Feb 20, 2009 7:41 am

Saves me some points...my 6 night Honeymoon stay starts on March 2. WooHoo.

Renard Feb 20, 2009 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Machiavelli (Post 11291840)
Saves me some points...my 6 night Honeymoon stay starts on March 2. WooHoo.

Make sure you re-do the reservation....I don't think there are automatic refunds.

Starwood Lurker Feb 23, 2009 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Renard (Post 11295773)
Make sure you re-do the reservation....I don't think there are automatic refunds.

As long as it is not a Cash & Points reservation and no changes were being made to the original, all that would need to be done would be to call the Customer Contact Center on or after March 2nd and ask them to cancel the old award and re-issue a new one for the same reservation.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Machiavelli Mar 4, 2009 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker (Post 11307703)
As long as it is not a Cash & Points reservation and no changes were being made to the original, all that would need to be done would be to call the Customer Contact Center on or after March 2nd and ask them to cancel the old award and re-issue a new one for the same reservation.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

The CS line has been great this week...our flights were cancelled Monday, so we had to reschedule to Tuesday arrival...then, with further delay's, we had to move the trip to March 7 (Saturday Arrival). CS was great, hotel has been very compliant and I am very excited to go...especially because it cost me a whole lot less points!

Honeymoon here I come.

cooperhs Mar 22, 2009 9:17 pm

IGNORE--NO LONGER ON BOOKING.COM

If interested in paying cash for this property, BRG saves big bucks, using booking.com. Lowest category of room ended up $141 + 22%. Get it while it lasts.

JBauer Apr 28, 2009 11:26 am

Contact at this hotel?

I'm thinking of taking the family here for my Mom 60th birthday, and wondering if anyone had an email contact at this property. I just want to see if i can make it a special visit?

Thanks

ECKOA6 May 25, 2009 9:10 am

Staying at this property starting late next week, wondering what upgrade chances are.

***Update***
So booked three rooms here one ocean view premium and two regular rooms for my family of 6. The hotel did pretty much what I hoped they would do. They left the ocean view premium alone and upgraded one of my regular rooms to a corner one bedroom ocean view suite on the same floor as the ocean view premium. the third room I guess was also "upgraded" in that they moved it to a higher floor with a decent mixed view of the island and the ocean so that it would be close to the rest of our group. But the two rooms on the 15th floor have spectacular views and the suite has what equates to three balconies and a rain fall shower head coming down from the ceiling.

steve53178 Oct 15, 2009 10:12 am

November Arrival for Platinum - Upgrade Chances?

Hey SPG FTers,

I'm spending a week with Mrs. Steve53178 at the Westin Aruba. When i booked the reservation (partially award, partially on my own dime), I mentioned it's her 30th birthday.

Given the time of year, Platinum status, and the 'special occasion,' what kind of room do you think I'll get (we’re booked in a standard king)?

Thanks all :)

mikeef Nov 30, 2009 8:45 am

We are going to pre-reserve a palapa, just in case. They are offering us the choice of a beach palapa or a pool hut. Is there any difference between the two, other than location?

Thanks,
Mike