Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Westin Aruba (Leaving Starwood February 27, 2014) [Master Thread]

GONE : Westin Aruba (Leaving Starwood February 27, 2014) [Master Thread]

 
Old Feb 5, 14, 6:55 am
  #286  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: Starwood Gold
Posts: 124
I called he number provided to get info about my stay which was moved to the Riu, room type etc. I was told that telephone reservations can not provide any information. The only way to get any information is to e-mail the address provided.

This is a continuation of the poor handling of this situation. I'm very disappointed with this whole process and the underwhelming info provided by SPG.
unrdchi is offline  
Old Feb 5, 14, 8:01 am
  #287  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Posts: 2,183
Originally Posted by Edavid14 View Post
FYI, relocation emails have started to go out this morning. I got mine just before 6:30am eastern time.

They emailed around 9pm last night to indicate they were not going to make their self-imposed Feb 4th deadline, but said they would have all info out today.

Those of you waiting should have it soon, if not already. I got sent to the Riu Palace. Where did the rest of you get?
Fortunately, this does not affect me,as I just left Aruba last week, but I believe that the Westin was purchased by the Riu, so I would expect most, if not all reservations to be moved there, assuming space availability.

Good luck to all of you and enjoy Aruba!
freeflyin is offline  
Old Feb 5, 14, 10:17 am
  #288  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 49
I am at the Riu as well. I also called the number provided in the email and was told the emails were sent before they should have been and they have no information they can provide me. The woman on the phone said I should email contact they gave us and I would hopefully have a response soon.

Hopefully all will be well.
awerdna2002 is offline  
Old Feb 6, 14, 7:16 am
  #289  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Programs: SPG
Posts: 2
Has you situation been arranged? I emailed them as requested but did no get any reply 24 hrs later...
blaprade is offline  
Old Feb 6, 14, 7:30 am
  #290  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: Starwood Gold
Posts: 124
My email is still unanswered over 24 hours later. I called Riu again this morning and was told that SPG provided bad info in saying that customers could call the reservations department and that everything has to be handled through email.

No follow up email from SPG saying we are sorry, we made a mistake and you need to email and not call. It seems like they have washed their hands of any responsibility in this matter.
unrdchi is offline  
Old Feb 6, 14, 4:17 pm
  #291  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 49
I have sent two emails with no response so far. I just got off the phone with RIU and they said all questions need to go through email. I must admit I am a bit concerned because the email from SPG says we must provide a credit card number by phone within seven days. But the people on the phone say they cannot take a credit card by phone and I should instead email the contact they gave us to figure this out, and they are not responding.

The clock is ticking.....
awerdna2002 is offline  
Old Feb 7, 14, 4:24 pm
  #292  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 49
Tick tick tick.

Another call to the Riu where I was told they didn't know anything and I should send an email. So that makes a call a day since I was told to call them, with zero information. And three unanswered emails (one per day).

I called Starwood and as expected was told all questions must go thru email. I emailed them yesterday with no response and just sent another.

I wouldn't be so stressed if they didn't put the 7 day time limit on things. Finding a replacement hotel during spring break for less than a fortune is impossible now.

Does anyone have any better information than me?
awerdna2002 is offline  
Old Feb 8, 14, 1:58 pm
  #293  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by awerdna2002 View Post
Tick tick tick.

Another call to the Riu where I was told they didn't know anything and I should send an email. So that makes a call a day since I was told to call them, with zero information. And three unanswered emails (one per day).

I called Starwood and as expected was told all questions must go thru email. I emailed them yesterday with no response and just sent another.

I wouldn't be so stressed if they didn't put the 7 day time limit on things. Finding a replacement hotel during spring break for less than a fortune is impossible now.

Does anyone have any better information than me?

I also got relocated to the Riu on Wednesday 2/5. I called the Riu toll free number and was initially told that I DID NOT need to provide a credit card as stated in the letter we got from Starwood. I was also told that any questions had to go to the sales office in Aruba via the email that was provided in the same letter. I then emailed and got no answer.

By yesterday (Friday), it had been 48 hours, so I called Starwood consumer affairs in Connecticut. A nice man promised to get back to me yesterday afternoon after looking into it...but shockingly I never heard back from him. Just to double-check, I called Riu again this afternoon (Saturday) and it was confirmed that WE DO NOT NEED TO PROVIDE A CREDIT CARD IN ADVANCE. The reason none of us have not received an email back is because the sales office in Aruba is very small and is overwhelmed with emails asking this and many other questions. Not an excuse, but just an explanation for what happened.

The Riu rep on the phone today was not able to access my reservation because she does not have access to reservations booked directly by the Riu sales office in Aruba. She indicated that if your confirmation code starts with "ARUU", it was booked by the Riu Aruba sales office in conjunction with the Starwood people.

I'm afraid that's all the information I have. I hope it helps somebody.
Edavid14 is offline  
Old Feb 16, 14, 8:52 pm
  #294  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 49
Has anybody gotten any type of meaningful response from Riu yet? I still have yet to receive any response from my numerous emails to the Riu, and all calls to them result in them telling me to send an email. I raised this issue with Starwood via phone (they said to send an email, so I sent two), the two emails, and with Starwood Lurker. Below is the response from Starwood. (In short... "hey, not our problem; contact the Riu.")

I keep telling myself Starwood won't let me down. Here's hoping I'm not misplacing my trust.


Dear Mr. XXXXXXX,

Thank you for your additional comments.

We appreciate how frustrating this situation must be for you.

The new management company and owner relocates your reservation. Ufortunately (sic), we do not have access to their system.

Please contact the Riu Palace customer service team for further assistance. Their contact details are listed below.

Phone: (888) 748-4990

Email: [email protected] (We suggest you include your confirmation number in the email)
Best regards,
<name removed>
Customer Services

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Feb 17, 14 at 6:38 am Reason: Remove emplyee name, as per FT rules
awerdna2002 is offline  
Old Feb 17, 14, 12:52 pm
  #295  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Posts: 2,183
Originally Posted by awerdna2002 View Post

I keep telling myself Starwood won't let me down. Here's hoping I'm not misplacing my trust.

Since this property is still currently Starwood and they have already appeared to wash their hands of this mess, I would say they have already let you down.

Sad to see this happening
freeflyin is offline  
Old Feb 19, 14, 6:28 am
  #296  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Programs: SPG
Posts: 2
8 deays before...departure (or not?)

We are in exact same situation; arriving Aruba on March 1 and have not heard from RIU despite several calls / emails...

Starwood does not appear to care whatsoever despite numerous calls /emails as well. Not sad, its unacceptable.
blaprade is offline  
Old Feb 22, 14, 8:07 pm
  #297  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: Lifetime SPG Plat
Posts: 87
SPG should be ashamed to charge points for this place. I'm here now and just so happen to check out on the hotels last day (2/26) and let's just say the hotel staff and owners have long checked out.

The rooms are not up to anyone's standards, our refrigerator is broken, no outlets in the bathroom work, the shower door gaskets are rotted out and we flood the bathroom every time we take a shower. These complaints were brought up to the staff with no remedy, the maintenance guy looks at it and says he can't fix the issue.

One elevator (they only have 4) has been broken our entire stay and one of the other ones has the key swipe dangling by the electrical wires.

The pool is not being maintained and you swim through foamy gunk and debris that floats in the water.

I'm now in my second room because the first room had neighbors who smoke all day (even though its a smoke free hotel) and our room stunk because it came right through the adjoining door. They also like to through parties till after 1am and no matter how many times you call the front desk they don't send security.

Next time a hotel is leaving SPG I will surely use my trip insurance and fake some illness so I can get a refund on my airfare because I'll never go through this again.
niteowl94 is offline  
Old Feb 22, 14, 11:25 pm
  #298  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: boston, ma, USA
Posts: 131
Originally Posted by niteowl94 View Post
SPG should be ashamed to charge points for this place. I'm here now and just so happen to check out on the hotels last day (2/26) and let's just say the hotel staff and owners have long checked out.

The rooms are not up to anyone's standards, our refrigerator is broken, no outlets in the bathroom work, the shower door gaskets are rotted out and we flood the bathroom every time we take a shower. These complaints were brought up to the staff with no remedy, the maintenance guy looks at it and says he can't fix the issue.

One elevator (they only have 4) has been broken our entire stay and one of the other ones has the key swipe dangling by the electrical wires.

The pool is not being maintained and you swim through foamy gunk and debris that floats in the water.

I'm now in my second room because the first room had neighbors who smoke all day (even though its a smoke free hotel) and our room stunk because it came right through the adjoining door. They also like to through parties till after 1am and no matter how many times you call the front desk they don't send security.

Next time a hotel is leaving SPG I will surely use my trip insurance and fake some illness so I can get a refund on my airfare because I'll never go through this again.
I feel for you. Even the Starwood Preferred rooms were pretty shabby the couple times I stayed there. I learned after the first stay to just priceline it for $95; I'll miss it for that .
qdmd is offline  
Old Mar 4, 14, 5:34 pm
  #299  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: Starwood Gold
Posts: 124
Any update from those who had stays starting in early March? Any issues at Riu?
unrdchi is offline  
Old Mar 4, 14, 6:48 pm
  #300  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 3,317
Originally Posted by unrdchi View Post
Any update from those who had stays starting in early March? Any issues at Riu?
2 posts above..
pricesquire is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: