Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Westin Aruba (Leaving Starwood February 27, 2014) [Master Thread]

GONE : Westin Aruba (Leaving Starwood February 27, 2014) [Master Thread]

 
Old Feb 3, 14, 2:21 pm
  #271  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,988
Originally Posted by HW75 View Post
Flews2014, In addition to losing the hotel of our choice, we are losing our stays. We have 10 nights booked at 80,000 points. How much out of pocket expense do you think it would take to earn those points. How many hotel stays? Just food for thought. To say we are not paying for it is offensive. SPG has already received our cash,we have already paid and them some. The handling thus far has been extremely poor by SPG. It is my hope they go above and beyond to make it up to their loyal guests. There has been no communication aside from the first email,no updates, no one to speak with, and no options. I guess we will all see by tomorrow ...maybe..hopefully.
Sorry, I don't believe I have ever commented on your situation.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,
Flews is offline  
Old Feb 3, 14, 2:37 pm
  #272  
Company Representative - Starwood
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Posts: 31,593
Originally Posted by KENNECTED View Post
...I thought if the hotel changed and you were forced to move you could still get stay/night count. Double check that. It's not your fault the property has changed brands.
Not according to the Terms and Conditions of Membership:

2.8.d. If an SPG Participating Hotel exits the SPG Program for any reason, an SPG Member will not earn Starpoints, and SPG Promotion Rewards, promotions and special offers will no longer be valid, after the date on which the SPG Participating Hotel exited the SPG Program, even if the reservation for a stay at the former SPG Participating Hotel was made prior to that date.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Social Media Specialist
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Starwood Lurker is offline  
Old Feb 3, 14, 2:40 pm
  #273  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New York, NY
Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Posts: 10,869
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker View Post
Not according to the Terms and Conditions of Membership:

2.8.d. If an SPG Participating Hotel exits the SPG Program for any reason, an SPG Member will not earn Starpoints, and SPG Promotion Rewards, promotions and special offers will no longer be valid, after the date on which the SPG Participating Hotel exited the SPG Program, even if the reservation for a stay at the former SPG Participating Hotel was made prior to that date.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Social Media Specialist
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
I didn't look at the T&Cs. That sucks, SPG should do something as these folks fully intended to stay at and SPG property and obviously there isn't another SPG to place them in.

I know this is out of your hands, but this is a unique situation and granting stay credits to those affected would be great goodwill.

Just my two cents.
KENNECTED is offline  
Old Feb 4, 14, 10:24 am
  #274  
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SIN
Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Posts: 11,679
Originally Posted by KENNECTED View Post
I didn't look at the T&Cs. That sucks, SPG should do something as these folks fully intended to stay at and SPG property and obviously there isn't another SPG to place them in.

I know this is out of your hands, but this is a unique situation and granting stay credits to those affected would be great goodwill.

Just my two cents.
The T&C are very clear. Why should they grant the stay in this situation and not other situations? If you think they should do so in all of these situations, then why have T&Cs?
yosithezet is offline  
Old Feb 4, 14, 10:52 am
  #275  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 49
Anyone hear anything yet?

Today is the day we are supposed to find out if/where the replacement hotel is. It's already lunch time and no word yet. I called SPG and the rep said she didn't have any info to give me. Has anybody gotten confirmation of where they are putting us?
awerdna2002 is offline  
Old Feb 4, 14, 11:23 am
  #276  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by yosithezet View Post
The T&C are very clear. Why should they grant the stay in this situation and not other situations? If you think they should do so in all of these situations, then why have T&Cs?
You are correct that it is the "rule". But please keep in mind we were not given the option to change destinations, or choose a new venue due to the sale. We are absolutely stuck with whatever they give us. SPG will however keep the points and force us into a hotel we did not select or choose. I wish we could just change destinations. SPG should offer us a relocation in the region (St.Marteen, St.John, etc...) without charging any additional points, and cover the airfare change charge. None of us asked for this and we should not be punished because of it. Further here is is, deadline day, and it seems no one has received any notification. Unacceptable customer service, unacceptable public relations.
HW75 is offline  
Old Feb 4, 14, 11:28 am
  #277  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New York, NY
Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Posts: 10,869
Originally Posted by yosithezet View Post
The T&C are very clear. Why should they grant the stay in this situation and not other situations? If you think they should do so in all of these situations, then why have T&Cs?
I only say that because there is no other SPG/Starwood property in this location. If this took place in NYC, LA, London, Paris, Toronto, Tokyo, etc. I would sat stick to the T&C.

However, in this situation, based on what has been posted, they don't have SPG/Starwood options and in a good faith situation, perhaps SPG/Starwood would go above the T&Cs to help out the guests.

Having said that, I agree, where does it stop? Sometimes, in very unique situations, I believe company's need to think outside the box.
KENNECTED is offline  
Old Feb 4, 14, 11:30 am
  #278  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Platinum, AA Gold
Posts: 229
Originally Posted by HW75 View Post
You are correct that it is the "rule". But please keep in mind we were not given the option to change destinations, or choose a new venue due to the sale. We are absolutely stuck with whatever they give us. SPG will however keep the points and force us into a hotel we did not select or choose. I wish we could just change destinations. SPG should offer us a relocation in the region (St.Marteen, St.John, etc...) without charging any additional points, and cover the airfare change charge. None of us asked for this and we should not be punished because of it. Further here is is, deadline day, and it seems no one has received any notification. Unacceptable customer service, unacceptable public relations.

you are right - just close your SPG account and go to hyatt. save us the bickering.
cybaslacka is offline  
Old Feb 4, 14, 11:47 am
  #279  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by cybaslacka View Post
you are right - just close your SPG account and go to hyatt. save us the bickering.
Respectfully it is not about being right. It is about treating your loyal customers well. The customers who have supporting your brand for many many years. As you know, it is not that easy to just switch and start over. I still love the Westin and will continue to choose my vacations soley based on Westin availability. It would be more constructive to offer real solutions or ideas, not just make snarky remarks. Since SPG is not communicating with us, these forums are a way for those of us affected to share our complaints, concerns and hopefully our triumphs.
HW75 is offline  
Old Feb 4, 14, 12:46 pm
  #280  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: MAN and LON
Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Posts: 13,721
Originally Posted by yosithezet View Post
The T&C are very clear. Why should they grant the stay in this situation and not other situations? If you think they should do so in all of these situations, then why have T&Cs?
I disagree. If a customer makes a booking at a property within a chain (because it is part of that chain and they expect the benefits of membership of that chain) then it is unfair to the customer to find that they end up with the opposite of what they planned.

There is an argument that whatever the T&C's, in parts of Europe the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations may well invalidate such restrictive terms.

My own practical experience was of booking the old Meridien Park Atlantic in Lisbon in the midst of a Meridien Promo. Given the timing of the exit of that property it became impossible for me to replace that stay with another Meridien, yet I had sunk 6 of 7 stays to max out my return, because of the promo.

The end solution was that Starwood gave me stay and night credit and I completed the promo. I think this should be a standard outcome, it is clearly good customer relations.
Land-of-Miles is offline  
Old Feb 4, 14, 1:54 pm
  #281  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 23,273
Originally Posted by HW75 View Post
You are correct that it is the "rule". But please keep in mind we were not given the option to change destinations, or choose a new venue due to the sale. We are absolutely stuck with whatever they give us. SPG will however keep the points and force us into a hotel we did not select or choose. I wish we could just change destinations. SPG should offer us a relocation in the region (St.Marteen, St.John, etc...) without charging any additional points, and cover the airfare change charge. None of us asked for this and we should not be punished because of it. Further here is is, deadline day, and it seems no one has received any notification. Unacceptable customer service, unacceptable public relations.
I was in your shoes a few yrs ago. Got lucky that I was 1 of the few that were reaccomdated at another Hotel (not *W). Part of the problem is SPG being able to find another hotel that will work with them. But many others simply got their pts refunded back to their accts.

Sorry but I disagree SPG is under no obligation to offer alternative flights, nor should they. The problem you will end up with is most likely they will find a hotel to work with but you get Zippo in the way of any benefits you would have had it been a *W hotel = no late checkouts, no free internet, no lounge access and no room upgrades etc etc, some folks would rather not go.

I would expect SPG to allow you to change to another Hotel of comparable value (same cat) but youd have to foot the extra expense in getting there, maybe fly to Aruba and then connect or pay for a change with your carrier and fly into wherever the new hotel will be.

Ive ran into this among many different chains and they all work the same way, if anything I found SPG to go further in trying to place everyone and are more open, but that doesnt mean they will be able to satisfy each and every party every time
craz is offline  
Old Feb 4, 14, 2:22 pm
  #282  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 23,273
Originally Posted by HW75 View Post
You are correct that it is the "rule". But please keep in mind we were not given the option to change destinations, or choose a new venue due to the sale. We are absolutely stuck with whatever they give us. SPG will however keep the points and force us into a hotel we did not select or choose.
I want to mkae sure I fully understand what you said, it seems you are saying you asked SPG to CX your res and refund your pts (others maybe their $$) and SPG flatly refused and told you either you will stay where make arrangements or you can go pound sand

If Aruba is where you want to be simply ask for a full refund of your pts and go book on your own any other hotel, especially if you already have non-refundable tkts.

My guess is you never asked for a refund of your pts and SPG never said they wouldnt refund them and that you are stuck only wherever they can make arrangements for you to stay (unless you told them you wanted them to find you other accomdations where it wouldnt cost you even 1 pt more).

About all you will lose is 1 Stay credit and 8 nights credit and eitehr 250 or 500 pts depending on SPG status. Do you maintain your status by the # of Nights you stay every year? If not then theers no big deal in not getting teh 8 nighst credit. If you maintain status due to Stay credits then it would cost <$100 to earn that. Id ask them if by 12/31 I end up 1 Stay short if at that time they will make it up to me by missing out on the Aruba Stay credit. Or worse comes to worse find a Cat 2 for a Fri or Sat night night at 3K to earn the 1 Stay credit
craz is offline  
Old Feb 4, 14, 5:21 pm
  #283  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by craz View Post
I want to mkae sure I fully understand what you said, it seems you are saying you asked SPG to CX your res and ....Or worse comes to worse find a Cat 2 for a Fri or Sat night night at 3K to earn the 1 Stay credit
We have not asked for a cancellation YET- pending on what their offer is. However we have non-refundable airfare. We only booked Aruba for Westin, and would prefer to be relocated to another destination without any additional expense. If the offer is acceptable the nights can be worked out later and should be granted because of the horrible mishandling of the situation. We are close to platinum for life and each night counts, this trip had 10. We didn't asked for this, and should not be punished financially for the mess they made. Guests should have been notified well before they were, the sell process from what I have read began in Nov.

COB on deadline day and not a word.
HW75 is offline  
Old Feb 4, 14, 5:49 pm
  #284  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 23,273
Originally Posted by HW75 View Post
We have not asked for a cancellation YET- pending on what their offer is. However we have non-refundable airfare. We only booked Aruba for Westin, and would prefer to be relocated to another destination without any additional expense. If the offer is acceptable the nights can be worked out later and should be granted because of the horrible mishandling of the situation. We are close to platinum for life and each night counts, this trip had 10. We didn't asked for this, and should not be punished financially for the mess they made. Guests should have been notified well before they were, the sell process from what I have read began in Nov.

COB on deadline day and not a word.
The guests could only be notified when and if the sale went thru. I dont know the specifics of this sale, but suffice to say many deals end up not getting done and the hotel remains operating. Then even if a deal is completed there are T&Cs under the old contract and many have written in them that SPG can make no mention of a Hotels upcoming closing or Deflagging. In my case SPGs hands were tied even thou it was public knowledge way before SPG was able to say anything or do anything.

It doesnt help you but SPG would rather the hotel remain open as a Westin, in as much as it will cost SPG $$$ to place everyone elsewhere alot more then what they would have paid the Hotel for everyones stay

May I suggest you go back and Edit a couple of your posts where it seems you were claiming SPG was gonna keep your pts and leave you high and dry (not those exact words). After all you just said you never asked for a return of your pts and youd find your own accommadations

I fully understand you as I said I too was in your shoes with SPG. If they find you an alternative hotel , they will keep your pts and you will not get the night credit. If you are low on pts and need those pts in order to get LT Plat, then either CX your res get the pts back and use them another time or 2 at tehs ame level cat hotel so you will earn those 10 nights credit and pay for your own hotel in Aruba. Or switch to another SPG hotel elsewhere and either buy a r/t tkt from AUA to that other place or call your Carrier and pay whatever fees you need to to buy tkts to that other palce.

SPG will not be buying you any tkts to any other place, they wont credit you 10 nights if you dont stay at a SPG prop, they will pay for other accomdations @ AUA and keep your pts = no night credit. You need to figure out whats most important to you and what works best for you. I know you want option #7 problem is SPG isnt gonna offer you that.

There are times they simply have no other option but to refund everyones pts as they werent able to work anything out with any other hotel. It STINKS but it is what it is and SPG is no different then any other chain they all run into this, unfortuantely for you it hits you this time

My best suggestion to you is to start looking into your tkts options and its cost if its too expensive then hopefully you will get the offer of another hotel in AUA Or geta refund of your pts and see if you can stick SPG with the cost of CXing your tkts in hand = not the cost of the tkts but the penalty fee for CXing it and using the funds later on for other tkts.That you may get out of them surely a full refund for the $$ paid for the tkts you wont see

Good Luck

btw SPG will NOT force you to accept any alternative hotel they workout, it wont be a take it or lose your pts anyway. They will tell you the alternative hotel that wont cost you anything while staying there (if its an inclusive hotel then meals might cost you just as they would have at the Westin or they maybe included) and its then up to you to accept or ask to be refunded your pts. SPG will not tell you NO Refunds either stay at HotelA or youre SOL.On rare occasion a person may be asked which of these hotels would you like taht we are offerring

Last edited by craz; Feb 4, 14 at 5:54 pm
craz is offline  
Old Feb 5, 14, 5:24 am
  #285  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7
FYI, relocation emails have started to go out this morning. I got mine just before 6:30am eastern time.

They emailed around 9pm last night to indicate they were not going to make their self-imposed Feb 4th deadline, but said they would have all info out today.

Those of you waiting should have it soon, if not already. I got sent to the Riu Palace. Where did the rest of you get?
Edavid14 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: