Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Westin Aruba (Leaving Starwood February 27, 2014) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE : Westin Aruba (Leaving Starwood February 27, 2014) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:20 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by qdmd
Yes they charge resort fee on SPG free booking. With the hefty $25 per day for sluggish often dead internet
Ask for a wireless repeater -- they will post a $200 deposit to your room, and reverse it as long as you return the device at checkout.

It just plugs in to a free electrical outlet in the room, and you get your own access point and absolutely no issues with internet after that.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:56 am

Having just returned from Westin Aruba, this is my 5th time back some things have not changed. One elevator is still broken, its been broken for years. having 3 Elevators for that size hotel creates real problems. I can't tell you why they refuse to fix the elevator. The rooms and hallways are getting real shabby. Although i learned that the hotel is for sale this is no excuse for a Westin to be in the condition that it is currently in. In our bathroom the shower door (glass) had obviously broken and they replaces with a curtain. The air conditioner was not great. And finally the internet problems, they hotel has some of the worst internet i have ever experienced in a hotel. I am a PLT so we get the high-speed for free. Spent about 30 minites trying to log on to the WIFI. Once you are on its sooooo sllllloooooowwwwwww. I am a technology person, and i did some digging it appears that the hotel has 1 DSL connection for all their guest rooms. And possibly not enough IP address to accommodation all the devices attempting to connect.

I still love Aruba and will return however its time for some capital to be put into the property. When the hotel was a category 4 i could understand and lived with some of the problems however its not a Cat5 and i cant understand how Starwood can justify making this hotel Cat5.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:10 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by YYJMSP
it's a fixed price per day on the awards -- we were charged $25
That is indeed what they try to charge at checkout. However, that was not was in my award confirmation - which to me is what matters. They need to update that rate code appropriately to disclose the correct resort fee.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:17 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Did you have to pay the $25 after showing them the confirmation? On my award confirmation I do not see a $25 charge, and have 10 days coming up.

Originally Posted by daveland
That is indeed what they try to charge at checkout. However, that was not was in my award confirmation - which to me is what matters. They need to update that rate code appropriately to disclose the correct resort fee.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
Originally Posted by 87155
And finally the internet problems, they hotel has some of the worst internet i have ever experienced in a hotel. I am a PLT so we get the high-speed for free. Spent about 30 minites trying to log on to the WIFI. Once you are on its sooooo sllllloooooowwwwwww. I am a technology person, and i did some digging it appears that the hotel has 1 DSL connection for all their guest rooms. And possibly not enough IP address to accommodation all the devices attempting to connect.
In addition to using antiquated DSL, the wifi router/repeaters are only every other floor, on the odd floors. For example the wifi broadcasters were on the 15th, 13th and 11th floors. The routers are located at opposite ends of each hallway, so to ensure you get a very close to the ocean (suite upgrade!) or back near the entry driveway if WiFi is important to you.

The wifi is strong like bull in the common areas and the beach bar area, for those cannot go a trip without checking Flyertalk
Old Jan 3, 2013, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Interesting. Didn't once in 5 days see these "ice popsicles and snacks" nor anywhere to "request sunglass polishing" or get "refreshing iced towels".
Apparently, they still have the same pool staff as I had a few years ago!

Mike
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:16 am

Difference between ocean view room and ocean premium room?

Can anyone tell what the difference is between an ocean view room and an ocean premium room?
Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 4:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
I had enquired prior to arrival, as my confirmation said somethign like 13%, and I was wondering how that applied to an award stay.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
Most important, at 40% off points, it was a great trip
How did you get this?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Was there any resolution to the $25 per day fee for people using points?

If you book Priceline for $100 a night, would you only pay $13 a day?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 1:47 am

which room to stay in?

Leaving for Aruba Westin in2 weeks with 2 kids and wife.
I booked Premium Ocean View and i am a Gold member. Which room would be best....i have been reading some scary posts where rooms are not so nice.
Thanks
Old Feb 28, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by atxtraveler
Was there any resolution to the $25 per day fee for people using points?

If you book Priceline for $100 a night, would you only pay $13 a day?
I'd say yes -- $13 if you pay hundred. But you don't get points, recognition if you book via priceline. I like my suites!!!
Interesting what they charge on C+P. Usually, only cash value of C+P is subject to any taxes, fees, etc. They load quite a few C+P rates
They are dropping to Cat 4 -- probably for a reason. Interesting, that many OPs complain about the property but still go many numerous times!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 8:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Medved
Interesting, that many OPs complain about the property but still go many numerous times!
Confused as well. I prefer SPG but in Aruba, I stay at the Hyatt.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Confused as well. I prefer SPG but in Aruba, I stay at the Hyatt.
The Hyatt is way nicer than the Westin. I only repeat Westin cause it's free on point or $100 on priceline. If not for that I'd go to Hyatt or Ritz Carlton next time.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Alright, I booked for the second week in June. I hope all is well. I did get it at 10000 a night (Pay 4, 5th free). I hope it is worth it!

Second question... should I use my upgrade nights, or hope for a Platinum upgrade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.