Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Westin Aruba (Leaving Starwood February 27, 2014) [Master Thread]

GONE : Westin Aruba (Leaving Starwood February 27, 2014) [Master Thread]

Old May 29, 11, 6:56 am

Programs: CO Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by hooterbif View Post
Thanks for providing this. I am not sure that I completely understand.

So, if I have two adults and three children (ages 1, 7, 9), would that mean that I would have to pay 37,500 points/night to get all inclusive for everybody? Alternatively, I'd have to pay $625/night for all-inclusive? Who could possible each enough to justify that cost?

these were the prices for adults, i'm sure it's much different for children (especially since they are not drinking alcohol) and i don't think you ever have to pay anything anywhere for a 1 year old??!!

here is the email address for the reservations coordinator - [email protected] when you find out the cost for children, please post? thanks!
Old May 29, 11, 7:07 am

Programs: CO Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
hoterbif -

this is right on their website - you would just have to find out how much the westin aruba charges for a "SPG Kids Pass Program" per day.....

What is the SPG® Kids Pass program?
The SPG Kids Pass program provides children 12 and younger an all-inclusive dining option. They can eat for one low flat daily rate off children's menus or at buffets at food and beverage establishments at more than 150 participating Starwood resorts worldwide.

What restaurants are included in the all-inclusive dining option, and does the program include beverages or only food?
The restaurants participating in the program vary by resort. In-room dining and drinks from the minibar do not apply. The program includes both food and beverages consumed. Children can also consume beverages throughout the day without having an accompanying meal.

Who can take advantage of the SPG Kids Pass program?
Any SPG member staying at a participating resort with a child age 12 and younger (staying on the same reservation) may participate in the program.

If I am not an SPG member, can I still participate in the SPG Kids Pass program?
Guests must be SPG members to take advantage of the SPG Kids Pass program. Guests can enroll anytime during their stay. Joining SPG is complimentary.

What is the fee for participating in the SPG Kids Pass program?
There is a daily fee per child that varies by resort. Pricing information can be obtained by contacting the resort directly.

Can I choose which days during my stay that my child participates in the program?
Members must sign up for the SPG Kids Pass program for the duration of their stay and pay the flat daily rate. Members cannot pick and choose dates during the stay to take advantage of the program. The daily price applies to the 24 hours beginning at purchase.

How do I pay for this program?
The total fee will be automatically added to your folio upon checkout.

How will food and beverage establishments know that my child is participating in the SPG Kids Pass program?
All children participating in the program will wear a small and lightweight SPG wristband for the duration of their stay. The child must be accompanied by an adult for all food orders placed. An accompanying adult purchase is required in restaurants at mealtime, but an adult is not required to accompany the child for beverage-only orders.

If I have two children, can I have each child take advantage of the program on different days for one daily rate?
The flat daily rate is for one child for the entire length of the guest stay. Bracelets are not transferable.
Old May 29, 11, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
I called SPG Gold, and they couldn't find any information about all-inclusive packages. They couldn't even find information about CLASS11 that is described here:
http://www.westinaruba.com/Allinclusive

The SPG Kids Pass Program costs alot ($25/child for the "morning program, $30 for extending that through lunch, and $60/child for the "evening session"). It sounds like that program is primarily for babysitting (and happens to include food).

I will now email [email protected] to learn more (and report back).
Old May 30, 11, 9:32 am

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
all-inclusive rates

Here are my questions:
I would like to book an all-inclusive vacation at Westin Aruba, and I would like to know the costs.

For instance, if I use Starwood points, how many additional points would it cost? How much money would it cost for the all-inclusive option if I use Starwood points to book the room?

What would these cost be for my chlidren, ages 1, 7, and 9?

Here is the response:
If you reserve your room using points, you can upgrade your room to the Premium all inclusive package for $165/adult/day. The kids 7-9 is $50/child/day and the 1 year old is for free. This is available till the 18th of December.

The Classic one is $ 125 per adult per day.

Using points, it will cost 9000 points/adult/day for the classic and 12000/adult/day for the Premium. The kids will be 3750/child/day.

The attachment refers to the "Premium" package. It looks similar to the "Classic" package that you can find here:
http://www.westinaruba.com/assets/u/...NFORMATION.pdf

I think that the main difference is that the Premium package has premium alcohol.

Last edited by hooterbif; May 30, 11 at 10:03 am Reason: got more info on the classic package
Old Jun 13, 11, 9:36 am

Programs: SPG, AA, Hertz
I have a stay coming up here next week, anyone know how they are handling alternative amenities for platinums? Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 11, 1:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Anybody use the SPG AMEX card to settle charges at this property? Was it in USD? If so, did AMEX charge a forex fee?
Old Aug 12, 11, 7:20 am

In USD. No forex feee.
Old Aug 12, 11, 7:22 am

Programs: HH Silver(!), SPG Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
Anybody use the SPG AMEX card to settle charges at this property? Was it in USD? If so, did AMEX charge a forex fee?
I used my SPG Amex here (and elsewhere in Aruba), and wasn't charged a forex fee for charges in USD. I never really saw prices is Aruba Florins...
Old Aug 12, 11, 8:10 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by HOBtrvlr View Post
I used my SPG Amex here (and elsewhere in Aruba), and wasn't charged a forex fee for charges in USD. I never really saw prices is Aruba Florins...
Thanks. Some cards charge the 3% even if transaction is in USD if location is outside US. Just wondering if AMEX does this. Thanks
Old Sep 1, 11, 10:06 pm
Original Member

How large are the in-room safe at the hotel? Thanks.
Old Sep 2, 11, 6:47 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Fairmont Premier, DL, CO
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
How large are the in-room safe at the hotel? Thanks.
From what I can recall, they are standard size...should be able to accommodate most laptops. Hope this helps!
Old Sep 6, 11, 6:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE, VSE 5 Star Elite
Westin Little Chefs ($$) vs. Kids in the Kitchen (included)?

Anyone make use of the "Kids in the Kitchen" program that is included in the daily resort fee?

We were very interested in the "Westin Little Chefs" program (where your child got to help make the appetizers and their own entree, and the chef made the rest), but it appears that it has been (temporarily?) discontinued based on a note from the property's "Director of Fun" (nice job title .
Old Sep 18, 11, 9:11 am

Having never been to Aruba before, I have no idea of the local area.

Travelling with two children - one still using stroller - how is the area around the hotel - is there local restaurats nearby where we can do take away and eat in the room (not happy to sit fot a long time to wait for food in a restaurant).
Also, is there convenience stores nearby?

Is the beach suitable for a 2.yo to play around in the water edge. Travel will be in February.

Thanks
Old Sep 19, 11, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by H.J.Simpson View Post
Having never been to Aruba before, I have no idea of the local area.

Travelling with two children - one still using stroller - how is the area around the hotel - is there local restaurats nearby where we can do take away and eat in the room (not happy to sit fot a long time to wait for food in a restaurant).
Also, is there convenience stores nearby?

Is the beach suitable for a 2.yo to play around in the water edge. Travel will be in February.

Thanks
We'll miss you by a month. We were there with one-year olds a couple of years ago and are coming back with three-year olds this year (same kids), so I'll give you what I remember:

The beach was nice. I don't remember it too clearly, but we did take some walks along it. There's also a nice path that runs behind all the hotels, Westin included, if you want to take walks.

The kids' center was fine. I remember something about toys and videos if you need a mid-afternoon respite from the sun. It was empty for most of the time we were there.

The pool was small and cold. One of my kids loved it, the other hated it. The only unfriendly employees we ran into were around the pool. No idea why.

There is a small convenience store on the bottom level of the hotel. Surprisingly, it was reasonably priced. My wife tells me that there are also convenience stores in the area of the hotel, but I truthfully don't remember.

There are a ton of restaurants in the area, and any of them should do take-out for you. This is a 100% tourist-based economy with a lot of families, so you won't be the first. Part of the fun for adults in Aruba is that everyone is really laid-back. Part of the misery for parents in Aruba is that food can take forever at the restaurants, since everyone is really laid-back. The first year we were there, our kids were still in strollers, so there wasn't much of a problem. With 3-year olds, however, we will be doing a lot of take-out.

Mike
Old Oct 24, 11, 12:04 pm

Programs: USED TO BE: DL DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz #1CGPC | NOW: SPG Lifetime Gold
Booked on FRN 11/27-12/4

SPG plat here booked a 7 night stay with FRN for the week after Thanksgiving (11/27-12/4) There's just two of us and we're primarily looking to unwind (I may try to sneak away for a day long deep sea fishing trip, any recs?)

Still on the fence about renting a car for all/part of the stay. Anyone else heading down around then? Any must-dos or have-to-sees?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: