Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Bristol, Vienna, Austria [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Bristol, Vienna, Austria [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2012, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nekamah7
I'm a Gold member, and will be staying for 2 evenings using C&P this month.

Is there still a lounge there with beer on tap? If so, any way for Gold to access it w/o paying an arm and leg?
Hi Nekamah7- I am not aware of any lounge at the Bristol- neither now or in the past was there a club lounge at this hotel AFAIK. You can find beer almost anywhere around the hotel however- and this being Austria, prices are quite reasonable for beer and the quality is very high.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
No such lounge when I was there last year...no idea where such a lounge would be actually.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
No club/executive lounge at this hotel, but they have an old school gentleman's lounge/bar off the lobby. But, it's gonna be pricey.

Frankly, far better, IMHO, to leave the property and enjoy a drink offsite in one of Vienna's hundreds of ideal places for doing just that.

FWIW, I had a truly glorious stay at this property several weeks ago. The location is simply ideal in every way. Our room overlooked the Vienna Opera House, for goodness' sake. They took good care of us and the stay was exceptional. A well run hotel that's about to undergo a significant top to bottom renovation -- it may well have started by now.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold

Is there still a lounge there with beer on tap? If so, any way for Gold to access it w/o paying an arm and leg?
You will not pay anything for the lounge....

.... Simply because there ain't any ....
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbtinme
A well run hotel that's about to undergo a significant top to bottom renovation -- it may well have started by now.
I was in Vienna a couple of weeks ago and it didn't look like any renovation program was going on....
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:03 am
tyn

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I was in Vienna a couple of weeks ago and it didn't look like any renovation program was going on....
I was at the Bristol in the summer and it was a horror stay due to renovation works. We had been there a couple of days already when we were advised that the floor our room was in would undergo renovation works.
We were not offered a room change as they promised incovenience would be minimal.
As it turned out we came back that night to find the corridors covered in black plastic and scaffolding and from that day to reach the lobby we had to go one floor up and two floors down.
I had had nice stays previously at the Bristol but my next one will definitely be at the Meridien.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tyn
I was at the Bristol in the summer and it was a horror stay due to renovation works. We had been there a couple of days already when we were advised that the floor our room was in would undergo renovation works.
We were not offered a room change as they promised incovenience would be minimal.
As it turned out we came back that night to find the corridors covered in black plastic and scaffolding and from that day to reach the lobby we had to go one floor up and two floors down.
I had had nice stays previously at the Bristol but my next one will definitely be at the Meridien.
Thanks for the update- appreciated.

Any timetable on the renovation completion?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:21 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Thanks for the update- appreciated.

Any timetable on the renovation completion?
My understanding is that it's really beginning in earnest this fall/winter and will take more than a full year.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbtinme
My understanding is that it's really beginning in earnest this fall/winter and will take more than a full year.
Ok- thanks.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite

Do you happen to remember when you booked to get C & P for December? I'm only seeing until June now.

Thanks
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
Had a stay here last week from 3/15 - 3/19. Two rooms both on Starpoints - one at 12,000 per night for a classic room, and one at 13,500 per night for a deluxe room. I used suite night upgrades on both reservations and ended up with:

- An Opera suite, corner, overlooking the Opera. It was room 265 and 266 together as a very large 1 bedroom. Approximately 800 square feet, with 2 bathrooms, a bedroom, and a large living room.
- A junior suite on the top floor, room 665. Nice sized junior suite with a patio overlooking the Kaertner Ring.

Both rooms were excellent, with a couple weird features - including very dated bathrooms. They were in the very traditional opulent style as expected, but the bathrooms were teeny tiny, especially the 2nd bathroom in the Opera suite. It was a shower stall and a toilet jammed into a large coat closet.

Overall:
Pros:
- The location is perfect. Directly across the street from the Opera, right outside the Karlsplatz U-bahn station, and on the 1, 2, 71, and D streetcar lines - you can get anywhere quickly.
- Lots of space, obviously. Without the upgrades the rooms seem awfully small. The junior suite was near the lower limit of what I'd be happy with for a few days.
- Ample closet space, with multiple closets
- Brought us a few fruits daily, along with a couple bottles of water
- Platinum amenity was breakfast, which is the full buffet in the restaurant. No room service allowed. Buffet was typical if nothing special.
- There's a SPAR grocery store directly across the street for food and drinks. Just go out the front door and directly across, and there it is.

Cons:
- The Junior Suite had no clock. My ~60ish mother doesn't have a cell phone, iPad, laptop, or anything similar, so she had to call down to figure out the time occasionally. A bit silly. (and no, it wasn't on the TV, I checked. Looked like they recently got new TVs so that may have something to do with it)
- There are few public areas to the hotel, so it does get a bit crowded. I didn't check out the bar but it looked pricey.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm trying to decide whether this hotel is worth 12,000 points a room -- actually twice that, because I'll have my family with me.

My wife and I did enjoy our previous stays at the Imperial (which is now very expensive on points), so I suspect we'd like the Bristol. And 12,000 points seems "fair" in the scheme of current SPG redemption rates. Is the level of "Viennese opulence" similar between the two hotels?

BTW, is there any place to leave your car near the hotel? Oddly, parking at the Imperial was easy. The doorman would just "take care of it," and there wasn't even a charge.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 4:25 pm

I can't comment on the car since I didn't want a car when I was last in VIE, but the hotel was solid. It is going through a total renovation this year and I'm not clear on what's happening when, so be advised.

But, the location simply could not be beat. It's a zillion dollar location across from the Opera House and in the middle of absolutely everything. As a Plat, I was treated like royalty (truly) and received an upgrade that I won't soon forget.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by iahphx
My wife and I did enjoy our previous stays at the Imperial (which is now very expensive on points), so I suspect we'd like the Bristol. And 12,000 points seems "fair" in the scheme of current SPG redemption rates. Is the level of "Viennese opulence" similar between the two hotels?
I think the lobby of the Imperial is nicer, it's more "open." They are both opulent in different ways. Our room at Imperial had higher ceilings. But our room at Bristol had an amazing view of the Opera house with a little Juliet balocny to view it.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 12:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Has anyone stayed or been upgraded to the newer grand deluxe rooms?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.