Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

(Left Marriott, Dec. 2018) Hotel Des Indes, The Hague, Netherlands, LC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wobbly wings
Hotel leaving Marriott
The hotel will leave Marriott on 10 December 2018.

Construction Detours

Due to construction, there are currently multiple street closures and detours obstructing direct access to the hotel. Please expect and plan for travel delays accordingly. Please contact the hotel for further information.
Print Wikipost

(Left Marriott, Dec. 2018) Hotel Des Indes, The Hague, Netherlands, LC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2012, 6:01 pm
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Originally Posted by GMAmsterdam
It will be the full buffet breakfast.

Enjoy your stay!

Kurt Renold
Area Manager Starwood Hotels NL

^

Last edited by cln; Apr 28, 2012 at 11:41 am
Old Apr 29, 2012, 4:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Originally Posted by skrosvik
Here for 2 nights right now...

Walked from the train station (took me less than 10 minutes). The hotel is located in the middle of town - close to the US Embassy and the PM's office. Everything is a very short walking distance away.

Staff is nice and friendly, down to earth.

Staying here on points - was upgraded to an interesting (and that in a good way) junior suite with a dual shower room. Took the breakfast as my platinum amenity.

Going to bed now, need to get up early so I can utilize my platinum amenity
Wow, I guess you can walk very fast even with your luggage and must know the route to the Prinsengracht from Centraal Station! Hope you like the Pullitzer as much as I do!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 3:45 am

Programs: DL LTG, SPG LTP, Mar. PLT
Originally Posted by claes059
Wow, I guess you can walk very fast even with your luggage and must know the route to the Prinsengracht from Centraal Station! Hope you like the Pullitzer as much as I do!
He is talking about Hotel Des Indes in Den Haag.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 1:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Any recent updates? Staying here tomorrow for the North Sea Jazz SPG Moment!
Old Sep 2, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
Stayed here one night in mid-August. Reserved a basic room at about 135 euros and was upgraded to a 2nd floor junior suite. All of the positive comments from previous posters continue to be true. Took the breakfast buffet as the PLT amenity -- essentially three rooms of choices, plus I believe you could also order eggs, etc.. from the kitchen.

Hotel location is tremendous -- walking distance to the Centraal train station, plus tons of restaurants and shops right outside the front door. Had one of the nicest meals I've had in quite a while at a little French restaurant about 2 blocks away. Staff was very nice. Room was clean and comfortable.

Train travel to/from Schiphol was quite easy and inexpensive. I walked through Den Haag, but trams are plentiful. Really an enjoyable stay.

I honestly do not have a single complaint - either about the city or the hotel. I plan to return in 2013 and hope that the rate is as affordable then!

-- Bill

PS - The only possible drawback, and I say this as an American, could be the fortress-like US embassy across the park from the hotel... but even it seemed a bit more relaxed than in most other capital cities.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:02 am

Programs: 2mm+ UAL | Lifetime Titanium Marriott | Globalist Hyatt | SpireElite IHG
Thumbs up

I had a similar experience as the last poster - reserved a low end Classic room, but then use Suite upgrades into a Jnr Suite.
This may be my new favourite hotel in the world (a bold statement, but warranted).

A cut & paste, but is of my own review, so hopefully not bad form:

I sleep in hotels 200+ nights a year, for 10+ yrs now, and I am pretty jaded.
It takes a lot to really impress me. This hotel, and the staff, impressed me. Heavily.

The property itself is lovely - extensive $50m renovation about 5yrs ago, and it's very opulent, almost to the point of being over the top or camp. Looks like something from a 30's theatre production. Red velvet, gold trim, chandeliers everywhere. This carries over into the rooms, where I had a junior suite, which was very large (the same size as a friend's studio apartment in Paris) with a wonderful bed, great bathroom with heated slate floors, large windows that opened.

A great location: 15min walk from train station on same street as US Embassy, in a little park area. 10min walk from square w/ cute cafes & bars, and, if you're so inclined, about 20min walk from traditional 'coffeeshop' that is very expat & traveler friendly (Cremers).

All that aside, what was the most impressive here was the service level. I have never encountered quite the level of professional handling as I did here. I told my partner that it was almost as if I had my own personal assistant here in the hotel - anything I needed, they took care of, instantly, happily, professionally. I came down with a short list of needs each morning, and it was done before breakfast. This was incredible, but even more so, the bulk of the staff doing this work were women in their early 20's - not someone who had been doing this job their entire career and were seasoned professionals, but women who were likely on their 1st or 2nd job. Someone has invested a huge amount of time & effort into training the staff here, and it shows like nowhere else I've been.

All that said, it is certainly not a cheap stay here, but there are numerous special offers you can find if you look, including one for their anniversary which is quite attractive.

I would stay here again. I would tell everyone I know and people I don't know (like you!) to stay here.
I would move into this hotel and live here if I could.
Wonderful place.
GO STAY HERE.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 2:00 am

Received platinum upgrade to a junior suite. Very nice hotel!

Junior suite:
http://youhavebeenupgraded.boardinga...ndes-den-haag/

Hotel and breakfast:
http://youhavebeenupgraded.boardinga...es-den-haag-2/

Last edited by youhavebeenupgraded; Mar 12, 2014 at 1:07 pm
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:40 am

I agree with the many fine comments about this hotel as we are currently staying at this property. We received an upgrade to a room similar to what youhavebeenupgraded experienced, with major differences of our room (117) containing a fireplace, having a balcony entering out on to the park fronting the hotel, the balcony opens onto two sides of the hotel, the the end of the room with the fireplace is a gentle semicircle. Others have pointed out the hotel's convenient location, but no one has yet mentioned the Escher museum, just 4 doors up the street along the side of the hotel. This is a must museum in The Hague.

Hotel staff sent us to a long-running restaurant (29 years) called Umbrella in English just 2 minutes walk from the hotel, and we enjoyed it so much we had made reservations to return. Here as well as along the shore are numerous seafood restaurants serving the freshest fish. We also confirmed breakfast is a full breakfast as an ammenity, the staff are very helpful, our Platinum status was recognized, and the location superb.

The hotel has a few downsides though. The lobby is 4-5 steps up so that those with wheelies must have their suitcases carried, and we noted that baby carriages also were being lifted up the stairs. The hotel dates from 1889, and to try to keep that image, our bathtub was new but there was no walkin shower for our Junior Suite. Keukenhof is an outstanding worldclass tourist destination just 30 KMs from the hotel, and the hotel staff did not have a map for this destination, or any other destination that was not on the city map.

For those who do not know Keukenhof, it offers a display of tulips and a few other flowers for about 60 days, with 7 million bulbs planted each year. Over 500,000 attend this site just to see the tulips which are spectacular, as are many of the nearby tulip fields as far as the eye can see in colors of red, white, yellow, purple, blue and of course, orange. It is easy to spend at least 3 hours admiring the flowers and there is ample parking (perhaps 2000 cars parked today along with 75 busses).

Tonight is a nightlong celebration for the Queen who is stepping down with her son assuming the role of king tomorrow. This should be fun, as many restaurants just down the street from the hotel have rolled out 5-10 kegs of beer on to their sidewalk cafes for consumption this evening! A real surprise for us.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Whilst I really like this property I am not entirely sure there is a huge difference between a Junior Suite and a Deluxe Room. I have had both and the only discernable difference was a small sofa at the end of the bed in the Junior Suite but otherwise room dimensions, bathroom etc. were similar.

I certainly wouldn't use a SNA to upgrade to a Junior Suite here based on room experiences to date.
Old May 14, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: KL Platinum
I stayed at the Des Indes last weekend and I can confirm all the positive comments - this is one of the best hotels I've ever been to. The combination of charme, position, excellent facilities and a wonderful staff make it an exceptional property.

Junior suites are in fact larger rooms; probably the difference with an executive room is that all suites have a shower, whereas some executive rooms don't. In any case, the junior suite was spacious enough to work and relax without any problem.

Platinum breakfast is the whole buffet breakfast, which is terrific.

As KevinS wrote (post #81), go stay here!
Old May 15, 2013, 3:11 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Fatnastic

Stayed there a couple of weekends ago, and can only echo the positive comments so far.

The hotel staff are absolutely amazing. Always helpful, always friendly, always positive.

Each (regardless of role) make it a point to end any interaction with a guest (no matter how long/short the conversatoin) with the query, "Is there anything else I can arrange for you?"
The facility is beautiful, faithfully restored to the grandeur of days gone by.

The location is convenient - You can take Dutch rail from Amsterdam Shiphol or Amsterdam Central. Or, from the Rotterdam airport, one need not go into Rotterdam central. Take the 50 bus (looks like a van) to its next stop, the Meijersplein station on the E-line (Metro) and you're 30 minutes from Den Haag Central Station.

The location is excellent, in a square/intersection along a beautiful tree-lined boulevard, a ten minute walk from Den Haag CS, as well as any number of cafes, shops, beautiful parks/spaces within the city centre. A short tram ride to the beach (or an hour walk on flat ground if you're up for it and the weather's nice).

In chosing the "breakfast" option as a SPG Platinum amenity, one does indeed get the full breakfast buffet...it's massive, quite a variety of all manner of hot/cold offerings. And, unlike a lot of buffest where large quanity and vairety can mean industrial taste, nope, the food was absolutely delicious.

I'd absolutely stay there again.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 2:30 am

Hi all - Is there a direct link from the Schipol airport (Amsterdam) to Hague via rail without having to enter the city? How easy is it?
I have a long flight landing into Schipol and the last thing I would need is a complex rail route… thanks in advance
Old Sep 23, 2013, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by jaejaez
Hi all - Is there a direct link from the Schipol airport (Amsterdam) to Hague via rail without having to enter the city? How easy is it?
I have a long flight landing into Schipol and the last thing I would need is a complex rail route… thanks in advance
Yes there is. Just go to the shortest web URL in the world. ns.nl
Old Sep 23, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
Quite impressive how they get that service right consistently. Stayed there for 3-4 nights a week for almost 3 months and was impressed each week.

To be honest, I miss that hotel quite a bit!
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Great hotel

I had a one night stay at Des Indes end of November. Weekend SPG Hot prepaid rate during the off season was low at €110. I was upgraded to a junior suite (I think) that was very spacious with a very modern bathroom. My room overlooked the front entrance and I could see my car in the parking area right in front of the hotel. The room decor was much improved from my previous stay a few years ago.

The Plat amenity was full breakfast buffet and makes the cost of the stay even more reasonable.

Be careful using Maps on iPhone, the GPS directed me to a spot diagonally across the square about 200 meters away.

This was definitely a worthwhile detour from Antwerp/Brussels for a weekend stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.