Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton and San Cristobal Tower, Santiago, Chile [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton and San Cristobal Tower, Santiago, Chile [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2005, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by loquillo
In addition to the suite, each night I recived a three tier tray of fresh fruit, pistachios, almonds, and chocolates. On occassion, I received the visit of a butler offering services, and I also received some free ironing (2 garments).
I just finished a three night stay in the San Cristobal (and will soon be going back for another four). I never saw a butler and the three-tier tray metioned above was not changed or refreshed during my entire stay. The suite, however, was magnificent.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I'd say a butler visiting is about 50%, but if you call, you'll get a butler. The fruit/chocolate plate is usually not replenished, although my stays range from 1 to 3 days, max.
Old May 23, 2005, 8:33 pm

Programs: CO Gold
San Cristobal Questions

I'm scheduled to stay at the San Cristobal Tower in June and July as a SPG Gold. I was wondering if they treat their Golds as nice as their Plats with upgrades and such?

Also, does this hotel have a lounge? I've noticed that the Sheraton that is connected has an executive lounge with breakfast, etc... but I haven't been able to find out about the San Cristobal Tower. Which guests enjoy access to the lounge? I'm really not that familiar with SPG policies on lounge access for their elite members.

One last question... Should I call the hotel and arrange for them to pick me up from the airport or should I be able to find a cab at the airport? Whats a reasonable fare so I know I'm not getting ripped off?

Thanks,
JY4D
Old May 23, 2005, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JY4D

One last question... Should I call the hotel and arrange for them to pick me up from the airport or should I be able to find a cab at the airport? Whats a reasonable fare so I know I'm not getting ripped off?

Thanks,
JY4D
You won't get ripped off at the airport. Just hire a Transvip or Tur van in the baggage claim area (there are 3 booths next to each other). Transvip may be about $1 less. Ask for a private van - it will be about US$20 or less - I don't know if they raised the prices since the toll highway recently opened - it will make your trip to the hotel quite quick. Don't fear taxis in Santiago.
Old May 24, 2005, 12:22 am

Programs: Qatar Platinum, Etihad Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I was wondering if they treat their Golds as nice as their Plats with upgrades and such?

Also, does this hotel have a lounge?

I be able to find a cab at the airport?

Thanks,
JY4D
Ok.. I guess I can answer some of your questions here...

1) Upgrade is almost given for Platinums. Sorry I have no idea about Golds. I've been to other rooms and they are equally good but not as spacious as a suite.

2) The Cristobal doesn't have a lounge where guests can have freebies. They have one at a top floor (22nd?) and breakfast is served there but it's not complementary which is a shame. I would have expected a sheraton lounge to be a standard thing.. like all tower lounges all over the world, but this one is different. I was disappointed.

3) Don't book though the hotel as you will be over-charged for nothing extra. You can take a cab from the hotel (which is safe and clean) or take a shuttle which is at a fraction of the cost but you have to wait till it get filled up. I took a shuttle and would do that again.

Note: Concierge at Cristobal is not as reliable and helpful as the one at the Sheraton.
Old May 24, 2005, 2:21 pm

Also, does this hotel have a lounge? I've noticed that the Sheraton that is connected has an executive lounge with breakfast, etc... but I haven't been able to find out about the San Cristobal Tower. Which guests enjoy access to the lounge? I'm really not that familiar with SPG policies on lounge access for their elite members.
The San Cristóbal has a lounge that serves a buffet breakfast, but nothing is complimentary aside from simple coffee.
Old May 24, 2005, 3:16 pm

Programs: CO Gold
Originally Posted by dabbagmm
Ok.. I guess I can answer some of your questions here...
2) The Cristobal doesn't have a lounge where guests can have freebies. They have one at a top floor (22nd?) and breakfast is served there but it's not complementary which is a shame. I would have expected a sheraton lounge to be a standard thing.. like all tower lounges all over the world, but this one is different. I was disappointed.
Thats too bad that its not free, but is the top floor lounge open to all guests? I've noticed some rates (the double bed ones) mention lounge access where as the king bed rates never mention it. Also, is the breakfast there good?

I'll only be in Santiago for a night since I'm heading to Valapariso the next day. I'll also be by myself for that night as the rest of my party is flying in the next day, so if anyone has any recommendations on where to grab something to eat, that would be helpful as well.
Old May 24, 2005, 4:13 pm

Thats too bad that its not free, but is the top floor lounge open to all guests? I've noticed some rates (the double bed ones) mention lounge access where as the king bed rates never mention it. Also, is the breakfast there good?

I'll only be in Santiago for a night since I'm heading to Valapariso the next day. I'll also be by myself for that night as the rest of my party is flying in the next day, so if anyone has any recommendations on where to grab something to eat, that would be helpful as well.
The buffet breakfast is just the usual stuff -- nothing special. The presentation is quite elegant.

I don't know exactly what you mean by 'grab something to eat'. If you're looking for something simple, there are lots of places in Providencia, near to the hotel on the other side of the river. One is called Lomit's (specialized in sandwiches and bar food), and another is an all-you can eat buffet called Gatsby's. For something good, try Aqui Está Coco, just across the bridge on Calle Concepción. Stay clear of Mare Nostrum, on the same street.
Old May 24, 2005, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The buffet breakfast is just the usual stuff -- nothing special. The presentation is quite elegant.
It is a slight "cut above", as they usually have a nice plate of excellent smoked salmon, and make eggs and pancakes to order with your buffet. If it isn't included in my room rate, I don't eat up there.

I don't know exactly what you mean by 'grab something to eat'. If you're looking for something simple, there are lots of places in Providencia, near to the hotel on the other side of the river. One is called Lomit's (specialized in sandwiches and bar food)
, and another is an all-you can eat buffet called Gatsby's. For something good, try Aqui Está Coco, just across the bridge on Calle Concepción. Stay clear of Mare Nostrum, on the same street.[/QUOTE]

Lomit's - mmmmm - you know, my mouth is watering for a lomito tomate-palta right now, with lots of aji. It is a great place for an inexpensive (not buffet) meal - cooked to order, and a good place if you are eating alone.
Old May 24, 2005, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K

Lomit's - mmmmm - you know, my mouth is watering for a lomito tomate-palta right now, with lots of aji. It is a great place for an inexpensive (not buffet) meal - cooked to order, and a good place if you are eating alone.

Agreed! It's also a great place to go with friends and have a few beers. I even know a few of the waiters there -- Juan, and a man who looks just like Mr. Granger on the old BBC series "Are You Being Served".
Old May 24, 2005, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajnaro
Agreed! It's also a great place to go with friends and have a few beers. I even know a few of the waiters there -- Juan, and a man who looks just like Mr. Granger on the old BBC series "Are You Being Served".
Funny you mention that (as we are soooooooo off topic) - I always see that old guy bumbling about and all I can think (and no offense to him if I'm wrong) is that he is a former nazi who escaped to South America 50 years ago and is bumbling about, incognito, bringing "a lo pobre" to the table. Also, about that restaurant, from the outside, it seems like it would be a more "formal" place, but it isn't, not at all.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 9:28 am

Programs: SPG PLT, AA PLT
Does the San Cristobal have non-smoking rooms? Every time I search for them, it gives me the "your smoking preference is unavailable" message. I can find them on the Sheraton side, but not San Cristobal.

Thanks.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DFWILE
Does the San Cristobal have non-smoking rooms? Every time I search for them, it gives me the "your smoking preference is unavailable" message. I can find them on the Sheraton side, but not San Cristobal.

Thanks.
I have stayed there several times. I recall that there have been ashtrays in the room, but I don't ever recall the faintest clue of smoke.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just stayed there again. It was yet another outstanding stay. It is almost unnerving that in a place I stay maybe once to twice a year, and never prior to 2001 (on both the Sheraton and Tower sides), that as I come and go, the tower doorman will say "buenas tardes, Mr. X", etc. and several of the staff know me by name. (I do recommend using the Sheraton-side concierge, although I've never used the Tower ones).

The only thing wrong with my last stay was that it was only for 2 nights.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 6:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Just stayed there again. It was yet another outstanding stay. It is almost unnerving that in a place I stay maybe once to twice a year, and never prior to 2001 (on both the Sheraton and Tower sides), that as I come and go, the tower doorman will say "buenas tardes, Mr. X", etc. and several of the staff know me by name. (I do recommend using the Sheraton-side concierge, although I've never used the Tower ones).

The only thing wrong with my last stay was that it was only for 2 nights.
I had two stays there of three days each with a two day break at I too found it amazing just that everybody remembered my name like you said by just about the end of the first day. I stayed in the Towers and have only ggod things to say about the two concierges there.

mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.