FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Le Meridien Brussels, Belgium, CLOSED Jun '14, to reopen as Hilton [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/595726-le-meridien-brussels-belgium-closed-jun-14-reopen-hilton-master-thread.html)

CIT85 Jun 8, 2014 10:21 am

Originally Posted by nicolas75 (Post 22993655)
The Brussels Hotels Association believes that the amount of rents, at issue in the conflict at Le Méridien, is not the only factor that now endangers the profitability of the sector. It points particularly the increase in the cost of labour and denounced the 45% increase in personnel costs in 10 years for the sector, against 24% on average in Belgium. Given the need for intensive labor for the service industry, personnel costs currently represent about half of the total turnover of the Brussels hotels.

http://www.lacapitale.be/1023559/art...lite-du-secteu

nicolas75, thank you for providing translation of the articles as this story unfolds that paint a full picture of the issues. My French isn't good enough to capture subtleties in the dscriptions.

nicolas75 Jun 10, 2014 3:05 pm

‘Future Tire’ conference in Brussels postponed

Crain Communications Ltd., the organizer of “Future Tire 2014” in Brussels, has been forced to postpone the event because the conference hotel’s leaseholder has filed for bankruptcy, forcing the hotel to shut.

Future Tire 2014 was scheduled for June 17-18 at Le Méridien Brussels Hotel, which announced this week it is being forced to close due to the bankruptcy of Starman Bruxelles Hotel SPRL, the hotel’s lease holder.

The bankruptcy follows a legal dispute between Starman Bruxelles and the owner of the building, Swiss Hotels Leasing.

“Due to the proximity to the event dates,” Crain said, “we have had no option but to postpone Future Tire 2014.” Crain said it is hoping to be able to reschedule the event for later this year.

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/...sels-postponed

stimpy Jun 10, 2014 4:13 pm

I got an email from Starwood today saying they cancelled my LM reservation and moved me to the Sheraton. But I declined as I had already moved myself to the Sheraton at a much lower price than what they had offered. However I am going to split my stay with between the Sheraton and the Novotel Grand Palace which is right next to the LM. It's a pretty nice hotel too and in the same great location.

sweetz_21_83 Jun 10, 2014 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 23012286)
I got an email from Starwood today saying they cancelled my LM reservation and moved me to the Sheraton. But I declined as I had already moved myself to the Sheraton at a much lower price than what they had offered. However I am going to split my stay with between the Sheraton and the Novotel Grand Palace which is right next to the LM. It's a pretty nice hotel too and in the same great location.

I have also booked myself at the Sheraton, but still show my LM reservation intact. Care to share when your booking is? Mine is in August and I have not heard anything from SPG.

Chriscross Jun 10, 2014 10:53 pm

Received an e-mail yesterday that spg eanted to call me. Replied that I had made a new reservation for Sheraton. Any chance we will get some points for the trouble?

stimpy Jun 11, 2014 12:30 am

Originally Posted by sweetz_21_83 (Post 23014177)
I have also booked myself at the Sheraton, but still show my LM reservation intact. Care to share when your booking is? Mine is in August and I have not heard anything from SPG.

Mine was for next week. I guess they are going through all the bookings one by one.

drron Jun 11, 2014 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Chriscross (Post 23014300)
Received an e-mail yesterday that spg eanted to call me. Replied that I had made a new reservation for Sheraton. Any chance we will get some points for the trouble?

There is a precedent.We had a booking at the Westin Auckland a month after it closed in very similar circumstances.We were given points as compensation.The only difference though is that no other SPG properties in New Zealand.

aphex732 Jun 11, 2014 11:53 am

My own experience

Here's my experience! My wife and I did a two week tour of Europe ending in Belgium, and had a one-night stay booked at the Le Meridien on June 9th. On the morning of the 8th, I emailed the hotel asking for restaurant recommendations but received no reply. I went onto the website later that night to find contact info, only to see in small print that "Le Meridien Brussels is now closed". I called and was on hold for half an hour while starwood CS bounced me around and told me all they could do was have me email the hotel.

I was never contacted by the hotel as of that night - we just cancelled online and rebooked with another nearby property.

The fact that "Starman Bruxulles" had a contract dispute is kind of sketchy - it's a holding company that appears to have common ownership with the Starwood brands.

Here's what was on the door:
http://imgur.com/Shr07Ga

aphex732 Jun 12, 2014 7:05 am

Update: The staff at Starwood Executive Customer Service reached out to me and (in addition to refunding my original 16K points) gave me 16K points as compensation.

They were very professional and apologetic, a really great way to end the experience in spite of what caused it.

skipmnyc Jun 12, 2014 8:10 am

Originally Posted by aphex732 (Post 23021836)
Update: The staff at Starwood Executive Customer Service reached out to me and (in addition to refunding my original 16K points) gave me 16K points as compensation.

They were very professional and apologetic, a really great way to end the experience in spite of what caused it.

Glad this worked out ok (or more than ok) for you.

Any suggestions for who I should contact to register my displeasure, and ask for some refund for the rate difference that I was forced to pay? The difference was not huge, but enough to go above my employer's ceiling, so that I am forced to pay it out of pocket. I am still amazed that they called me as I was on the way to the airport in NY. In that situation I was not in a position to make other arrangements at a different property, so just had to take what they gave me. The change caused other problems, including briefing materials that were being delivered to me never reaching me, among other things. It was already going to be a stressful week here, this episode has made a wreck of it.

Hoc Jun 18, 2014 12:56 pm

Le Meridien Brussels Closed During My Trip -- What Are My Options?

I am just checking here to see what options/rights I might have as a result of this situation. About 6 months ago, we booked the Le Meridien Brussels Hotel (Category 5) for our trip in July, using points. I just got a voicemail message this morning that the hotel has unexpectedly closed its doors and will be unavailable during my trip. It was the only Category 5 Starwood Hotel in Brussels.

Before I call back, what can I expect with regard to assistance? Given that there are no other comparable Starwood Hotels in Brussels during my trip, is it reasonable to ask for extra accommodation in a substitute Starwood Hotel (which will be category 4 or less)? What would be reasonable?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good hotel in Brussels at a reasonable price, Starwood or not?

neo_781 Jun 18, 2014 2:07 pm

I would ask to be accommodated at another SPG hotel in the area with at least a refund of the difference in points. It would also be nice if they threw some goodwill points your way (for your inconvenience) but at a minimum they should get you a room at another property.

Oxon Flyer Jun 18, 2014 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Hoc (Post 23056165)
Before I call back, what can I expect with regard to assistance?

I've merged your question in with the main thread on this topic : where other posters similarly affected by the closure have already posted some datapoimnts. Hope that helps. /mod

Hoc Jun 18, 2014 10:29 pm

Hmm. the Meridien was in the perfect location, and the Sheraton, aside from being a less desirable hotel, is far away from that location. I'm wondering if I should just cancel and get the points back.

On an aside, I have travel insurance that covers trip "delay" or "interruption" or "cancellation" that arises from the insolvency of one of my hotels. I wonder if this is an appropriate basis for a claim, and if so, how much of the extra $800 or so that I would be spending due to obtaining a different hotel would be reimburseable.

stimpy Jun 19, 2014 2:33 am

Originally Posted by Hoc (Post 23059241)
Hmm. the Meridien was in the perfect location, and the Sheraton, aside from being a less desirable hotel, is far away from that location. I'm wondering if I should just cancel and get the points back.

On an aside, I have travel insurance that covers trip "delay" or "interruption" or "cancellation" that arises from the insolvency of one of my hotels. I wonder if this is an appropriate basis for a claim, and if so, how much of the extra $800 or so that I would be spending due to obtaining a different hotel would be reimburseable.

It would be interesting to see if a travel insurance policy covers award stays and costs associated.

As for me, I got no goodwill Starpoints. But I really didn't expect any.