Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Europe: Top Starwood properties, 2006-9: discussion and summary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Europe: Top Starwood properties, 2006-9: discussion and summary

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2007, 1:08 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

ericj, wow. Simply wow. What a great addition to my knowledge about European Starwoods. Love some of the ripostes.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
I'm surprised no one mentioned my favorite SPG property in Europe: Le Meridien Hotel Des Indes in The Hague. It's a fantastic hotel, with stunning rooms, and set on a picturesque wooded square in The Hague. The interior design there is phenomenal and well done.

Le Meridien Limassol in Cyprus is also amazing (with even nicer rooms than the LM in Den Haag). The suite we were placed in on a points stay was gorgeous. About 900 sq. ft., with huge living room (50+ inch Philips Plasma TV), modern furniture, large verandah overlooking the Med with nice wooden, cushioned deck chairs, and a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom you could swim in, and free bottles of wine and canapes nightly. The property itself is also beautifully landscaped.

I also enjoyed my stay at the Goldener Hirsch in Salzburg this past New Years. The hotel rooms and furnishings were rustic (which I generally don't prefer), but the whole hotel just seemed perfect for the location, and the staff was excellent and attentive.

For an excellent business hotel, I would also recommend the Le Meridien Munich. Plat upgrades there can be quite nice (900 sq. ft. executive suite with a rack-rate of 1300 EUR/night off a 125 EUR/night prepaid stay was much appreciated).

As far as the other hotels in Europe I've stayed in:
Sheraton Grand Edinburgh - Average rooms (needs a refresh), but good Plat treatment, nice lounge (but small), and very nice staff.

Sheraton Belgravia, London - Small rooms with stuffy, old-school furniture (it's London), but great location and appreciably cheaper than the Park Tower.

Sheraton CDG - One of my favorite airport hotels. Clean, well-appointed, modern rooms with nice bathrooms and great views of the airport.

Westin Rotterdam - Good business hotel with nice rooms, and my favorite property in the Netherlands until I stayed at Le Meridien Hotel Des Indes, which completely blows this hotel out of the water, and at similar rates.

Sheraton AMS - Decent airport hotel, nothing too fancy, and the rooms are not especially large. Good if overnighting to catch an early-morning flight to Schiphol, but otherwise would recommend the LM in Den Haag or Westin Rotterdam.

Sheraton Diana Majestic, Milan - Stayed last summer. Initially no Plat recognition & was placed in a dank room resembling a broom closet. After conversing with the front desk, was placed in a fairly large executive room on the top floor, but it was tatty and in a very sorry state of repair. It looked like it had not been updated since 1982, and smelled like it as well. I will not stay at this hotel again.

Forgot the Sheraton Heathrow. Only stayed there pre-renovation...what a dump.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 2:01 am

1. top tier (i make an effort to book that hotel)
Le Meridien Atlantic Park, Lisbon (stylish, affordable, simply a great place overlooking this beautiful city)
Le Meridien, Vienna (super stylish and hip, great bar with DJ at times, great location and yes, NOT the BRISTOL type place)
4P Zurich. go try! great!

2. very nice (I enjoy coming back there, but there are other good hotels or chains in each location I could go to)
Westin Camporeal, outside Lisbon (beautiful Golf resort, 30 mins drive from Lisbon, my backup if i need some time or the LM in Lisbon is booked)
Westin Dragonara, Malta (been there once, nicely set on a cliff with access to the sea, centrally located, nice rooms)
Sheraton Imperial KL (a close call for me between the MO and the Sheraton)

3. nono
Sheraton LHR (all)
4p Cologne (Youthhostel?)
Sheraton Brussels (hmm)

happy sleeping,

yapak2
Old Nov 20, 2007, 2:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by yapak2
2. very nice (I enjoy coming back there, but there are other good hotels or chains in each location I could go to)
Westin Camporeal, outside Lisbon (beautiful Golf resort, 30 mins drive from Lisbon, my backup if i need some time or the LM in Lisbon is booked)
This preoprty has only been "open" since August and even then, it was nowhere near finished. The only reviews posted on FT so far have not been positive. Is all the building work now complete and has service undergone a miraculous improvement in recent weeks ?
Old Nov 20, 2007, 5:32 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairmans Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum/,Lifetime Silver Hertz Presidents
Westin Excelsior Rome great location a grand hotel!!

Last edited by intheairagain; Nov 20, 2007 at 5:32 pm Reason: forgot city!
Old Feb 10, 2008, 4:18 pm

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Angry

Unfortunately Schloß Fuschl is no more starwood
Old Feb 10, 2008, 6:00 pm

Programs: HH Gold, PC Platinum, SPG Platinum, AM Gold, Avis First
Seems like the E&R in Venice is a recurring favorite-love the brunch on the canal and the fact you can get it for 1500 pts per person. St.Regis in Rome is also an all-around class act. Westin Trianon in Versailles has stepped up a notch with its renos, we got in one of the renovated rooms, hope the rest of it has turned out as well!
Old Feb 10, 2008, 7:18 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
the sheraton diana majestic may not be for everyone but for me it is the best. i have been staying there for 20 years and have ended up growing up with a couple of the concierges.
just spent two nights at the st regis rome and that is quite a hotel. was a little bit afraid they wouldn't let me back in after a long day of sightseeing.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 9:34 pm

Programs: UAL - 1K; SPG- Platinum
Just spent 2 weeks in Italy and Austria (March 2008) - using points for all stays. Every hotel we stayed at was first rate. All hotels greatly respected my Platinum status. Highly recommend all for Platinum members.

Westin Excelsior Rome- corner suite. Service was outstanding. Put Hotel Eden to shame (I had stayed there 18 months ago and they showed absolutely no regard to my status- and that was a revenue stay !!)

Westin Excelsior Florence - High floor, corner, view of Arno. Again, outstanding service. Concierge was unbelievable. He was able to find a ranch in the off season so that my daughter could 'Ride a Horse in Tuscany'. He must have spent 2 hours researching this. Great Hotel!!

Hotel Danieli in Venice- Canal view, junior suite. Extended us for a night without problem. Can't beat the location. Classic hotel.

Hotel Goldener Hirsch in Salzburg- Suite. great location for walking around town. Great service. Another classic.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 12:49 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by Midge85
Just spent 2 weeks in Italy and Austria (March 2008) - using points for all stays. Every hotel we stayed at was first rate. All hotels greatly respected my Platinum status. Highly recommend all for Platinum members.

Westin Excelsior Rome- corner suite. Service was outstanding. Put Hotel Eden to shame (I had stayed there 18 months ago and they showed absolutely no regard to my status- and that was a revenue stay !!)

Westin Excelsior Florence - High floor, corner, view of Arno. Again, outstanding service. Concierge was unbelievable. He was able to find a ranch in the off season so that my daughter could 'Ride a Horse in Tuscany'. He must have spent 2 hours researching this. Great Hotel!!

Hotel Danieli in Venice- Canal view, junior suite. Extended us for a night without problem. Can't beat the location. Classic hotel.

Hotel Goldener Hirsch in Salzburg- Suite. great location for walking around town. Great service. Another classic.

ive stayed in the first three listed and they were all great. so ditto ur comments!
Old Jun 7, 2008, 5:32 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I love the Imperial and Bristol in Vienna. As a SPG basic member, was upgraded at the Imperial from Deluxe to Jr. Suite and at the Bristol on a points reservation from Penthouse Jr. Suite to Prince of Wales Suite. Absolutely fantastic hotels.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Great thread!

Loved our stay at the LM Munich last year. Great location, wonderful front desk staff and fabulous doormen. Tips and assistance here were great.

We had a large corner room on a higher floor overlooking the courtyard. The bathroom was extraordinary by European standards imo. Plenty of room even with all our luggage.

The only downsides were issues that the hotel can't really control. Kids running up and down the hallways banging on doors and parents letting their kids finger and touch the foods on the breakfast buffet.

However, next time I'd pony up the Euros and take a taxi from the airport rather than take the train.

Walked by the GH Salzburg during a day trip and can't wait to stay there soon.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
[QUOTE=yapak2;8759808]1. top tier (i make an effort to book that hotel)
Le Meridien Atlantic Park, Lisbon (stylish, affordable, simply a great place overlooking this beautiful city)
Le Meridien, Vienna (super stylish and hip, great bar with DJ at times, great location and yes, NOT the BRISTOL type place)
4P Zurich. go try! great!

What does Bristol type place mean?
Old Jun 18, 2008, 2:01 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Flying Blue Platinum
does anyone care about my opinion ? :)

I've spent the last five years travelling in Europe for my job, as based in Paris. During this time I spent a fair share of my week ends in hotels, too
Here is a highly subjective shortlist of the best and worst hotels I came across:

The best:
Alfondo XIII, Sevilla
Kamp, Helsinki
Westin, Florence
Royal Meridien, Hamburg
Westin, Madrid

The worst:
Skyline, Heathrow
Park Meridien, Frankfurt
Bristol, Warsaw
Le Meridien Brussels
Sheraton Roma West, Italy
Old Jun 18, 2008, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Best/favorites for rooms, ambiance, history, warmth of service:

Fürstenhof, Leipzig
Elephant, Weimar
Bristol, Wien (the Imperial is TOO rococo/luxe for me)

Best/Favorites for location*:

Bristol, Wien
Westin Grand, Berlin

* Favorite because each is adjacent to, or just a few steps from the city's major opera house(s)

Hotel that is no longer part of SPG that I miss:

Principe Di Savoia, Milano

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.