Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Paris - Vendôme, France [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Paris - Vendôme, France [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2007, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Has the exec lounge increased in size at all? Are all of the rooms on the club level completely renovated? Is there free wifi for club level guests?
There is free wifi in the Club. But get this. NO INTERNET IN THE ROOMS!! None whatsoever. At least in 2014 and the surrounding area had no WiFi and no wired connections. But then again it seems to have been 20-30 years since this hotel was last renovated and the Internet was not so popular back then.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The more I think about this hotel, the more I

So I went to the "Westin Workout" room (it's using one of the suites) and fortunately the two running machines were empty. Also empty was the weight rack. There was one 10kg weight and the rest were smaller. It looks like a several others were probably stolen by guests. This place must be taking in over a million a day right now and they can't afford to replace a few dumbells in the "Westin Workout" room? Or give their Platinum guests who are paying over $500 a night a breakfast as good as a cheap Holiday Inn offers? Or build a decent gym like all comparable hotels in Paris have?
Old Sep 7, 2007, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, I also found some graffiti in my bathroom dated August 8th. So and so was here...
Old Sep 7, 2007, 9:37 am

Ugh - I am planning to return to Westin in November and I should just keep my expectation low. I absolutely love its location and hopefully as an SPG Plat they'd be able to offer me somewhat nicer treatment.

I did look at the gym last year and it was closed for renovation (or was it simply closed?). So now, a year later.. things still have not improved?

Stimpy, on my last stay, I was able to get free Wi-Fi from my room.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Ugh - I am planning to return to Westin in November and I should just keep my expectation low. I absolutely love its location and hopefully as an SPG Plat they'd be able to offer me somewhat nicer treatment.

I did look at the gym last year and it was closed for renovation (or was it simply closed?). So now, a year later.. things still have not improved?

Stimpy, on my last stay, I was able to get free Wi-Fi from my room.
The gym had two very new treadmills. It was in room 2085. Was that where it was last time? It's a nice enough suite with a chandelier and nice wallpaper. You know, real important stuff for a gym.

Maybe the WiFi only works in certain parts of the hotel? Unacceptable in this day and age.

OK, I'll be positive and say that the front desk staff was very good. And the Costes bar is around the corner for you to drown your Westin sorrows in style.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:06 am

The 'gym' that I saw before require me to change elevators. I don't remember if it was in the basement of the hotel, but it was in a not so hot part of the hotel.

If they designated a room as a gym, could it mean that it's a temporary space? By the way, I stayed here last in Sep 06 and this doesn't sound promising at all.

How about the Club Lounge? Is it still the 2 converted guest rooms? I recalled it only served breakfast and in the afternoon there were some (bad) cookies and soft drinks. There was one computer with internet access.

The internet I had in my room was not actually from Westin. It was someone else's wi-fi that I 'piggy-back'ed.

Hm, this makes me want to rethink staying here, being Plat and all.

Originally Posted by stimpy
The gym had two very new treadmills. It was in room 2085. Was that where it was last time? It's a nice enough suite with a chandelier and nice wallpaper. You know, real important stuff for a gym.

Maybe the WiFi only works in certain parts of the hotel? Unacceptable in this day and age.

OK, I'll be positive and say that the front desk staff was very good. And the Costes bar is around the corner for you to drown your Westin sorrows in style.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
How about the Club Lounge? Is it still the 2 converted guest rooms? I recalled it only served breakfast and in the afternoon there were some (bad) cookies and soft drinks. There was one computer with internet access.
Yes the Club lounge is in a converted room or rooms. I actually like the cookies, but a Club without wine and happy hour is not a Club. Breakfast had processed OJ, only one kind of tea, no eggs and some nasty cold cuts. I just drank some tea, did my email and left. Oh, there are two Internet PC's in the room and one TV.

Other than the airport, Starwood just doesn't have it in Paris. I use Intercontinental, Sofitel (of course), Hilton and to a slight degree, Hyatt.

Edited to add that I forgot about Le Meridien which has at least a couple of nice properties in Paris.

Last edited by stimpy; Sep 7, 2007 at 11:51 am
Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by stimpy
The more I think about this hotel, the more I

...Or give their Platinum guests who are paying over $500 a night a breakfast as good as a cheap Holiday Inn offers?
even the Sheraton CDG offers a much better continental breakfast in their club room: plain croissants, chocolate croissants, several juices, bottled waters, meats, cheese, sweet rolls, jams, butters, coffee, tea, soda, etc.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 1:42 pm

When I stayed in Sep last year, the club offered breakfast with eggs, bacon and sausage. Sad to hear they don't offer them anymore.

I actually checked in around 10AM, but since room wasn't ready, I was invited to have breakfast at the lounge. So on my 1 night stay, I had 2 breakfasts!
Old Sep 7, 2007, 3:27 pm

Programs: SW Gold, DL Siver, CO Silver
westin paris --- great location, ancient rooms, typical parisien staff

Starwood Gold......stayed here last week at the tail end of my honeymoon.
A few tidbits:

~arrived early saturday AM from Nice. Was told by extremely rude & uncooperative desk that there were no upgrades, no avail rooms until 2 o'clock. Had just spent time at Hotel Pulitzer, Le Meridien Monte Carlo, and Palais Mediteraneane in Nice....the other 3 had been ultra accomodating... wasn't the way I expected top hotel to perform.
~mentioned it was our honeymoon... was the only hotel out of the 4 aforementioned that gave no recognition.
~Location is super-impressive for tourists. museums, champs elysee, shopping, other hotels are all local.
~Room was dissappointing. Looked like it was from A Tale of Two Cities. Whooopppeee... it had a flat screen. It was still a dump.
~Concierge Bruno is excellent!!!!
~This is not a North American or modern hotel (similar to most Paris hotels). This hotel certainly is not encouraging you to spend very much time in the room or hotel facilities.

Will prob try a Le Meridien in Paris next time.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 4:28 pm

New Rooms?

I just went online and saw two photos of the newly renovated rooms. Has anyone stayed here recently and saw (or stayed) in these new rooms? They look MUCH nicer than the old ones.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 5:15 am

90,000 points for 5 ngts jr suite Westin Paris

Merry Christmas. With the redeem 4 nights get 5th free I can get a jr suite at Westin Paris in May. Has anyone stayed in a jr suite, I have seen many other reviews for reg rooms.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 8:50 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Without status (or if more room is needed as a guarantee) it is almost always very point-efficient to take a Jr Suite upgrade. I'm assuming the Westin is 20,000 per night and you are being asked for an extra 2,500 for the upgrade. Look at the prices and descriptions on the booking engine and you'll get your answer.

I did it at the Prince des Galles - twice used points for the upgraded Jr Suite and both times was upgraded to a full suite. But if the upgrade did not come through, at least I knew I'd be in a room I was happy with.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 12:19 am
tnw

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt
I have stayed in a Junior Suite at the Westin Paris on two occasions. I did not feel it was worth the points or the Euros spent. Both rooms were large for European standards, but the rooms were a bit disappointing. One room had a separate living room (open to bedroom) and the other was just a large room configuration. We are platinum and they told us both times that they do not upgrade from a junior suite. (I however have read that people do get upgraded from junior suites to full suites, just not us.)

On several occasions I have booked a junior suite at the Prince de Galles but have never stayed in one as they always upgraded us to a full suite. Much nicer in our opinion.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 9:20 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by tnw
I have stayed in a Junior Suite at the Westin Paris on two occasions. I did not feel it was worth the points or the Euros spent. Both rooms were large for European standards, but the rooms were a bit disappointing. One room had a separate living room (open to bedroom) and the other was just a large room configuration. We are platinum and they told us both times that they do not upgrade from a junior suite. (I however have read that people do get upgraded from junior suites to full suites, just not us.)

On several occasions I have booked a junior suite at the Prince de Galles but have never stayed in one as they always upgraded us to a full suite. Much nicer in our opinion.

But how did the Jr Suite compare to a standard room? The OP is judging whether it's worth a measly 2,500 extra points a night to be in a Jr Suite over a standard room. I've never stayed in this particular hotel, but generally find the Jr Suite awards to be very good value in Europe. There's usually a substantial difference in room rate over the standard room which you are getting for a very small incremental increase in points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.