Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Verasa Napa [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Print Wikipost

The Westin Verasa Napa [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by schoflyer
Not very happy with my stay at the WVN. Although it was a high yielding one due to the points they threw at me when problems came up.

1) Contacted the concierge prior to arrival. Very helpful and friendly. Really looking forward to top notch weekend that was sure to follow.

2) Left the East Bay on my way up to Napa and called ahead to see if I had been a) pre-blocked into a suite and could stop for lunch, or b) if I needed to try and get there a bit ahead of the check-in rush to secure one. I was advised that a one bedroom had been pre-blocked for me, the keys were ready and I could check in at anytime. However, upon arrival I was told that my room wasn't ready because it had not been cleaned. I mentioned that I had called ahead. I was then told that the keys were ready but the room wasn't. Hmmm. The room wasn't but the keys were? (I don't think so!) Not a great start, but they managed to make we wait only a 15 minutes before my Pool View (not really pool view, inward facing is better description) 1BR Suite was ready.

3) Decided to take a nap before dinner. Dozed off but was awakened by howls and screams of joy and glee of a few kids. I thought they were in the hallway outside my room it was so loud. After 30 min I finally went to check the hallway but nobody there. Then I realized it was from the hot tub and noticed kids playing in it with inflatable toys. I guess it wasn't too hot Every pool facing room must have heard the same disturbance. Called service express. They promised to try and have a supervisor look into it. The noisecontinued for another 30-40 min (total over 1 hour) until it finally abated. Got a call from service express saying the problem was resolved and offering me 3000 points. I said I'd prefer comp breakfast and they said points only.

4) Great dinner at Ken Frank's LaToque!!!

5) Romantic breakfast in bed was nothing of the sort. Called service express to order breakfast in bed. While I likely didn't say "For 2 Guests" my order and the questions I asked my companion while on the line with Service Express about if she wanted fruit or no fruit etc...as well as ordering coffee for myself and Cafe Latte for my friend wasn't blatant enough I suppose.

I ordered
"American Breakfast and Small Pot of Coffee for myself and the Steel Cut Oats with Milk and Honey with fruit along and a cafe latte for my friend."

On one tray I received the American breakfast, Steel Cut Oats, one silverware setup, no milk, no honey, no ketchup, no cafe latte, one napkin. After another call they delivered a the latte, silverware, honey and a thimble of ketchup. Unfortunately the latte was 60% foam we ended up stretching with coffee and yes indeed we needed to share a linen napkin and impovised with the tray from the footstool in the sitting area.

Complained again. Definately not the romantic breakfast experience we were seeking. The MOD called me me back, asked if I was a SPG guest and offered a measly 2000 points! She should have checked my folio before she called! I said how about 5k and she said her maximum was 3500 without going to SPG corporate on it. Needed me to fill out the survey if I was going to request the 5K.

6) At Checkout I introduced myself to the MOD, handed her the survey. I gave her the run down from above to bring her up to speed. I told her that my breakfast should have been comped. I mentioned that she should have checked my folio before calling and asking if I were SPG member. I also suggested it would have been cool if I had been told that wifi was included in the resort fee.

She said that my breakfast had been comped and she'd given me the 3500. Was everything satisfactory now? I said well I filled out the survey so we were going to chase the 5K with SPG right? No. Comp breakfast + 3500 service was her final offer.

Fine just give me a $0 folio.

Oops! Breakfast not comped yet! Then she had to refund everything back in the right department etc. Took forever. Meanwhile the Valet was driving laps out front in the driveway with the GF in the car as the turn around area needed to be cleared over and over.

Long story short. New hotel. New furnishings. Rough service. Bad structural design. Not a quite romantic weekend.

If I go back, its a non-pool/courtyard room. I'd use this property only for a place to crash after dinner at LaToque.

Cheers,

Scho

PS:Everything has posted except the 3500 service promise from the breakfast debacle! Hope they come up tomorrow or I will need to chase the down! Nightmare!
Hope it wasn't my kids keeping you awake Every time they jumped in the cold pool there was lots of screaming.

Since the room itself has multiple places to eat (other than the bed), I don't know that I'd necessarily expect two trays from room service unless I specifically asked or if the the amount of stuff I ordered required it. While there's certainly no excuse for them shorting you a place setting, the room itself is fully stocked with plates, utensils, linens, etc. already.

For comparisons sake, they gave me 1000 points just for the cold pool/hot tub.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 3:00 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Originally Posted by bbison
Hope it wasn't my kids keeping you awake Every time they jumped in the cold pool there was lots of screaming.

Since the room itself has multiple places to eat (other than the bed), I don't know that I'd necessarily expect two trays from room service unless I specifically asked or if the the amount of stuff I ordered required it. While there's certainly no excuse for them shorting you a place setting, the room itself is fully stocked with plates, utensils, linens, etc. already.

For comparisons sake, they gave me 1000 points just for the cold pool/hot tub.
Kids will be kids. Don't sweat it. Thanks for the 3K points

I just thought they came up short on everything except the nice new furnishings. Not representative of Westin/SPG service standards in my book.

It was like a motel on steroids. Not a place to hang out and enjoy. I had it all wrong thinking it was going to be a romantic escape destination. Just a place to sleep and leave during the day.

Cheers,

Scho
Old Feb 2, 2009, 7:50 pm

My wife and I just completed a two day stay at this property and we were pleased with our stay. We were told the developers of the hotel were Canadians who had properties in Ontario and they as well were responsible for the design and the construction. Although this hotel has been open for a couple of months, we believed we were the first guests to occupy suite 2079, as when we open the closet for hangers, there were none. However there was an ample suppy in another closet. Inspection of the silverware indicated that they were not used, and the plates and glasses in the closet also did not demonstrate any wear.

We orginally had booked at a rate of $246, but when I checked the rates a few days before checkin, I was able to snag a $188/night rate that also included the usual $20 resort charge. We thought the term "Resort" was a misnomer, the pool and hot tub were located outside (the night temp dipped to 40 degrees), and there were few other services that one would find in a resort. However, there is a lot to be said for a spanking new property. For those who were concerned about the parking charge, I was told by one of the management people that this was indeed so, but upon checkout, there was no parking charge on my bill.

Of the things that gave us problems, the computer was the most troublesome. I was warned on checkin that it was hard to figure out how to print up a page, and when I tried to follow directions and could not, the last direction indicated that a call to the front desk would resolve the problem. When the manager in charge of this department appeared, he admitted to me he did not know how to print from the computer as it never worked for him as well. He did workaround my emailing my printout to his email in this office and then printing it up for me. On another time I visited the computer, another guest was in deep discussion with the computer guy who fully admitted that the directions did not work and he was in the midst of developing another way to print. He too had trouble not only with the printer, but also with the photocopier that was nearby.

Another major problem is that there is poor temperature control in the rooms, and on the second night, we learned to cool our room by opening the balcony door for an extended period of time and sleeping with the door partially open. Other have commented that there was no SPG lounge at this property and one must rely on the staff in the breakfast room or room service for breakfast. We too did not have sugar delivered with our coffee and decided not to call back for some.

The room was spacious, the refrig large, and the bathroom exceptional. Upon checkin, we were asked if we wanted points and my status was immediately recognized. Our room had been prepared and the desk clerk pulled up our materials from those who were checking in for the day and included in our packet was a sticky that said "congratulations, you had been upgraded". On both nights we stayed, we estimated the occupancy to be no more than 50 people!!

Overall, the staff tried hard to please, and we were satisfied. We decided we had received good value compared to other properties we have stayed in while in Napa.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 9:09 pm

How is this hotel situated in regards to visiting the vineyards? My knowledge of the area is non-existing...
Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:14 am

Programs: SVO - WKORV, WPORV, WKV, WSJ
Originally Posted by zeikka
How is this hotel situated in regards to visiting the vineyards? My knowledge of the area is non-existing...
It has many vineyards to the north - but a short 5 min walk to Napa downtown (for some I guess 5 min walk is too long...) will take you to many winebars where you can drink a variety of wines for different vineyards - and walk back. Most of the Napa vineyards charge anyway. There are more than you can imagine visiting

Go to Oxbow Market - and COPIA - and get a burger with great wine/beer at the corner burger place (can't remember name). All, a very short walk.

I must say I really have to laugh (for lack of a better term - feel sad...?) at some reviews... we stayed right after they opened (studio w/ kitchenette) on SPs- loved the area and enjoyed the hotel (but obviously we are easy to please - SPG Gold and don't bother with asking for anything - or worrying about it...) - we are looking forward to going back in July (bringing bikes this time) - but first Westin St John (woohoo!)...

Enjoy...
Old Mar 11, 2009, 8:18 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by bluztuzumab
Go to Oxbow Market - and COPIA - and get a burger with great wine/beer at the corner burger place (can't remember name). All, a very short walk.
Taylor's Refresher
Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Sadly, COPIA is now closed due to its financial situation.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman

^^^^^^^ Good stuff there.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 1:49 pm

Programs: SVO - WKORV, WPORV, WKV, WSJ
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Sadly, COPIA is now closed due to its financial situation.
Wow - that is too bad... {such a cool place}
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...closes_for_now

Taylor Refresher - "I'll have a $250 bottle of wine with my burger and fries. TYVM"
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL PM
Redeeming for "standard room"

I think I'm having the same issue as some of the earlier posters. I have a free weekend night to use ASAP from the 2008 Q4 promotion (any category 1-5 hotel, in theory, to be used by 4/30/09), and was hoping to use it at the Westin Verasa on Saturday 4/25. I see plenty of normal-sounding rooms available (including a "deluxe" room) for cash, but the rep tells me that there are no standard rooms available and basically no other way to redeem some combination of my free weekend night and/or starpoints to stay there.

Anyone have any thoughts or am I basically up a creek here? I assume there's no way to negotiate this directly with the hotel or anyone else? Would a standard room ever open up between now and then?

SF resident looking for a nice one-night getaway... if I can't head up to the wine country, is there anywhere else you'd recommend within driving distance where I can use my free weekend night?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:39 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by ghettoberry
Anyone have any thoughts or am I basically up a creek here? I assume there's no way to negotiate this directly with the hotel or anyone else? Would a standard room ever open up between now and then?
Dear ghettoberry,

Greetings.

Hmm... there might be one way which you may not have mentioned, which is to call up Customer Care and seek assistance. If you are really keen, the associate might be able to contact the property to work out something for your upcoming free weekend stay.

YMMV.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Apr 16, 2009, 8:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
Dear ghettoberry,

Greetings.

Hmm... there might be one way which you may not have mentioned, which is to call up Customer Care and seek assistance. If you are really keen, the associate might be able to contact the property to work out something for your upcoming free weekend stay.

YMMV.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
@Ghettoberry - it appears that you and I are in similar situations. Here's my experience:

1) The hotel has a 2-nights minimum requirement for certain high-season dates. That's pretty common for Napa area hotels. If you tried to book just 1 night during the period where they imposed the restriction, it will show as sold-out even though it's not. The only way to override the 2-night minimum is to use the Platinum force, in which case you pay the RACK rate (not worth it, mind you, at at least $450 per night).

2) I just tried to book a 2 night stay in June. No traditional rooms are available (which the hotel has a minimal number of, being that it's a condo-hotel). The deluxe room, 1-bedroom suite, and 2-bedrooms suite were all available. However, the platinum concierge informed me that those room types are not available under points, cash & points, or SPG50. Appearantly the hotel only made the traditional rooms available for any non-full cash related transactions. At over $300 per night for a "deluxe" room, I can stay somewhere else for less, and that's what I'm planning to do.

BIG for the hotel.

UPDATE: Just contacted Customer Care, and they'll need to speak to the SPG coordinator at the hotel. Stay tuned for more updates.

Last edited by PTahCha; Apr 16, 2009 at 8:35 pm
Old Apr 16, 2009, 8:53 pm

I spent last weekend - Friday and Saturday nights - here on free nights earned through whatever promo. And I was treated like a KING. Huge room with separate bedroom, living room and full kitchen. Balcony overlooking pool. It was the best upgrade I've had in ten years. Ms. 365 actually thought I was some kind of VIP.

I was, of course, charged the $20/day fee. But no gripes.
Old May 13, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
My wife and I just completed our 2nd stay here - this time just 1 night on points. We were upgraded to a deluxe room with a view of the river and mountains. Excellent service at every level - parking, check-in, cafe. Incidentally, the cafe serves food prepared by Le Toque for about half the price. Our dinner was outstanding - way better than anything you would normally expect from a basic hotel cafe.

This was our second excellent stay at this hotel.
Old May 13, 2009, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ghettoberry
SF resident looking for a nice one-night getaway... if I can't head up to the wine country, is there anywhere else you'd recommend within driving distance where I can use my free weekend night?
Sheraton Petaluma - It's not in the same league, but it is still a very nice property and meticulously maintained. 20 mins drive will get you to Sonoma which is far nicer to wander around than down town Napa.

My wife and I also enjoy fog escape weekends to the Sheraton Grand in Sacramento and Sheraton San Jose (regular summer weekend rates of $79) just to sit in the sun. The Sheraton Grand makes a nice weekend if you walk to mid-town to sit outside at a brew pub.

I realise these suggestions may only be attractived to fog bound SF residents!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.