Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Royal Hawaiian, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii 2005-2008 [Master Thread]

Royal Hawaiian, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii 2005-2008 [Master Thread]

Old Apr 11, 05, 9:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Arrow Royal Hawaiian, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii 2005-2008 [Master Thread]

i know there was a recent thread on "which hotel to stay in honolulu" but this thread is specifically about the royal hawaiian and upgrade problems. i didn't want to bury it in a thread that also discusses the moana surfrider and the W.

i posted my upgrade problems with the Moana Surfrider in another thread. this thread is about upgrade problems at the Royal Hawaiian.

i checked in using an award stay last week (one night stay). for backgroud, there are six room classes at the hotel: 1) Garden View, 2) Royal Garden, 3) Royal Ocean, 4) Tower Ocean Front, 5) Large Luxury Ocean, and 6) Suites.

when i inquired about a suite, i was told that they usually book award stays at the "Royal Garden" but that i had been "double upgraded" to a tower ocean front room. i said that while i appreciated the double upgrade, starwood policy requires platinums be upgraded to the "best available room at check-in" (i.e., not a double, triple, or quadruple upgrade).

the agent went to the back office and gave me a few other options, none of which were suites. when i said that i was only staying for one night and that i was going to log onto spg.com when i got to the room to see if there were suites, miraculously, a junior suite appeared.

after all that exhaustion, i was not proactively offered my platinum amenity.

other than that, the royal hawaiian is a great hotel and the staff is wonderful. the junior suite i was assigned was a x11 room and it was lovely. i think i could have easily died in the bed it was so comfortable.

as for food, while the breakfast buffet was great, the seafood buffet looked a bit gross. there is just something disconcerting about a tray of salmon sitting in a pool of butter for an hour with a heat lamp over it. since it wasn't super busy, it looked like everything had been sitting around a bit (since the sauces were all congealed).

like the moana surfrider, i thoroughly enjoyed my experice. i just wish it was easier to secure the "best available room at check-in."

Last edited by fly co to see the yanks; Apr 11, 05 at 9:22 am
Old Apr 11, 05, 9:24 am
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I thought SPG changed the language in the Platinum T&C specifically so that properties would not be obligated to give a suite. So, getting a tower ocean front "room" technically was within the T&C, if I read it correctly, and they gave you the suite as an above-the-policy gesture. In fact, that's the very room type I was given for a few nights on an award stay a few years back.

I don't know if I would have been so bold as to comment that I would be looking at spg.com for suite availability after getting to my room, though!
Old Apr 11, 05, 9:36 am

Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat, AA Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by PHL
I thought SPG changed the language in the Platinum T&C specifically so that properties would not be obligated to give a suite.
Not so. The policy still allows for suite upgrades as found within the T&C's on their site.

1. Upgrade to the best available room, including Select Standard Suites at time of check-in. Specialty Suites such as, but not limited to, premium view, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom suites, etc. are excluded. Upgrade is subject to availability at time of check-in and will vary by property. The upgrade benefit is available for one room for the personal use of the member only, regardless of the number of additional rooms purchased by the member.
Old Apr 11, 05, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
The hotel program that changed their T&C was Marriott. Suite upgrades are not a formal benefit with Marriott.

SPG Platinums are entitled to best available room at checkin, the only exception being specialty suites but not all suites generally. "Executive suites" for example are certainly a Platinum benefit, provided that one is available at checkin.
Old Apr 11, 05, 10:34 am

I Know this is leading of topic, but
what happens if someone is pushing it that fare an looks a the website to find out that there is a suite .. at that point I would like to make sure that it ist not a special suite as stated in the T&C before I return to the desk. Any ideas on how to do that ?
Old Apr 11, 05, 11:04 am
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by BalluBallu
I Know this is leading of topic, but
what happens if someone is pushing it that fare an looks a the website to find out that there is a suite .. at that point I would like to make sure that it ist not a special suite as stated in the T&C before I return to the desk. Any ideas on how to do that ?
Now, THAT'S the grey area. It's not so clear cut how a hotel can designate a suite as something that plats can upgrade to vs. a specialty one that's off limits. What is commonly upgraded to at one hotel could be off-limits at another (all things being equal). I've always thought it would be nice for SPG to add content to the web site that details what suites are available for upgrade at the various properties. Some have so many varying types of suites that you wonder if anyone at the hotel actually knows at all!
Old Apr 11, 05, 11:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHL
I've always thought it would be nice for SPG to add content to the web site that details what suites are available for upgrade at the various properties.
i am thrilled when the site can make reservations. you're request, while logical, is a pipe dream.
Old Apr 11, 05, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 2MM, DL Diamond, AmEx Cent, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Moms love me
Originally Posted by PHL
I don't know if I would have been so bold as to comment that I would be looking at spg.com for suite availability after getting to my room, though!
Unfortunately, this is sometimes the only way to get them to honour the SPG terms. More than once I've had suites appear when I took this route.

(Of course, not at the St Regis in DC, which has twice claimed "synchronization errors" between their system and spg.com. IE, no, really, it's lying, there are no suites. Next time I'm going to book one under another name and try checking in ;-)
Old Apr 11, 05, 2:18 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
i know there was a recent thread on "which hotel to stay in honolulu" but this thread is specifically about the royal hawaiian and upgrade problems. i didn't want to bury it in a thread that also discusses the moana surfrider and the W.

i posted my upgrade problems with the Moana Surfrider in another thread. this thread is about upgrade problems at the Royal Hawaiian.

i checked in using an award stay last week (one night stay). for backgroud, there are six room classes at the hotel: 1) Garden View, 2) Royal Garden, 3) Royal Ocean, 4) Tower Ocean Front, 5) Large Luxury Ocean, and 6) Suites.

when i inquired about a suite, i was told that they usually book award stays at the "Royal Garden" but that i had been "double upgraded" to a tower ocean front room. i said that while i appreciated the double upgrade, starwood policy requires platinums be upgraded to the "best available room at check-in" (i.e., not a double, triple, or quadruple upgrade).

the agent went to the back office and gave me a few other options, none of which were suites. when i said that i was only staying for one night and that i was going to log onto spg.com when i got to the room to see if there were suites, miraculously, a junior suite appeared.

after all that exhaustion, i was not proactively offered my platinum amenity.

other than that, the royal hawaiian is a great hotel and the staff is wonderful. the junior suite i was assigned was a x11 room and it was lovely. i think i could have easily died in the bed it was so comfortable.

as for food, while the breakfast buffet was great, the seafood buffet looked a bit gross. there is just something disconcerting about a tray of salmon sitting in a pool of butter for an hour with a heat lamp over it. since it wasn't super busy, it looked like everything had been sitting around a bit (since the sauces were all congealed).

like the moana surfrider, i thoroughly enjoyed my experice. i just wish it was easier to secure the "best available room at check-in."
I was there last Wed. for 2 nights (as a PLT) on an award stay. Had to beg for Ocen View as well (I was in 5004). I was also told there were no suites (they were literally lying as they spoke - I was looking at availability on website as I spoke with them).
Old Apr 11, 05, 2:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freeupgrade
I was there last Wed. for 2 nights (as a PLT) on an award stay. Had to beg for Ocen View as well (I was in 5004). I was also told there were no suites (they were literally lying as they spoke - I was looking at availability on website as I spoke with them).
yeah, i hope you contacted customer service. the fact that they eventually gave me a junior suite is basically an acknowledgement by the property that they are flouting the rules.
Old Apr 11, 05, 2:38 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
yeah, i hope you contacted customer service. the fact that they eventually gave me a junior suite is basically an acknowledgement by the property that they are flouting the rules.
Not necessarily.

For example, if they had already allocated another Platinum to be upgraded to this junior suite when he/she arrived, then the other Platinum member may have lost his pre-allocated status when you arrived. the squeaky wheel getting the grease, so to speak.

But, I agree there seem to be a number of people reporting similar occurrences and once you arrived they should have given it up without the threat to involve Hotel Customer Service (provided this junior suite falls within the standard suite category), so maybe there is a problem at this hotel. Either way, I will let the folks in the Hawaii office know.

Just so we know what we're researching here, where was this junior suite within the hotel? Tower, Ocean Front, Garden, Ocean View, Partial Ocean View...?

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Last edited by Starwood Lurker; Apr 11, 05 at 2:56 pm
Old Apr 11, 05, 3:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Just so we know what we're researching here, where was this junior suite within the hotel? Tower, Ocean Front, Garden, Ocean View, Partial Ocean View...?
thanks, william. in terms of category, this hotel considers a junior suite as a suite.
Old Apr 11, 05, 3:53 pm

thanks, william. in terms of category, this hotel considers a junior suite as a suite.
Thanks for the info, but what kind of view did it have from the suite? Were you able to see water? Or did you have a lush garden view?

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Apr 11, 05, 4:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Thanks for the info, but what kind of view did it have from the suite? Were you able to see water? Or did you have a lush garden view? [/email]
my junior suite was facing the inside courtyard (i.e., garden view).

and, to get back to my earlier point, you said the squeaky wheel go the upgrade. while this may have been the case, if spg.com was still selling suites, both the displaced platinum and myself should have both gotten the suite upgrade, no?
Old Apr 11, 05, 4:39 pm

my junior suite was facing the inside courtyard (i.e., garden view).

and, to get back to my earlier point, you said the squeaky wheel go the upgrade. while this may have been the case, if spg.com was still selling suites, both the displaced platinum and myself should have both gotten the suite upgrade, no?
Not unless it was garden view. That's the point. The standard suites at the Royal Hawaiian are garden view only.

So, we obviously have some work to do here.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Search this Thread
Search Engine: