Best resort in the lower 48?

Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO, Starwood, AA, DL, Hilton, Marriott
Best resort in the lower 48?

I am trying to combine an American Airlines free companion certificate good in the 48 states to take my wife to a resort for our last hurrah before we become parents later this year. I am having trouble finding one that fits the bill: on a beach, where we could watch sunsets; preferably at 10,000 points per night; one with enough to do to merit 5 nights (40k). The Caribbean would have quite a few options, but the free ticket isn't valid there. September is our expected travel time.

I considered the Key West resort Westin just bought from Hilton, but besides the points (12K per nite) was concerned about the lack of beach. Does anyone know if Westin will follow Hilton's example of allowing you to buy access to the cottages island at $10 a day? Or, is there anyway to upgrade from the resort to a cottage? At 20K, I won't have enough points for more than 2 nights on the island. Could I do a combo, with a couple of nights at the resort and a couple on the island?

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Old Jul 30, 2006, 9:18 am
Suspended

hmmm....i love the rooms at the westin diplomat. it's probably not the best resort in the contiguous 48, though. but, get a room with a balcony over the ocean and you are all set. they have great tubs/bathrooms and cool room layouts.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 9:41 am

Programs: WN, Marriott, Choice
I'll agree that the Diplomat is a great facility, but to watch sunsets over the water will take some incredibly powerful binoculars.... about 3k miles to the west. The sunrises over the Atlantic are beautiful, though. You can rent poolside cabanas and/or double-chaises on the beach.

If you go there, walk across the street to Nikki's on the Intercoastal. They were in the process of opening a sports bar on the Intercoastal side earlier this month when I was there. It should be open by now.

Congrats on your pending arrival.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:12 pm

How about the St. Regis Monarch Beach? Very nice property.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA1K/3MM, AA & DL 1MM, *wood Plat, Hertz Pres.
oh I agree Diplomat. The suites and the club room are stunning.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 3:12 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by PMASON
How about the St. Regis Monarch Beach? Very nice property.
I would agree that the St Regis Monarch Beach MAY be the best *wood beach resort in the continental US, but it's still not even the best resort in the area - I'd place the Hotel Montage and the Ritz Carlton above the SR in Laguna Niguel, which are situated right at the beach or cliff-side.

rhermoso: are you sure you can't upgrade it to say Kauai or the Bahamas for a reasonable fee? The Princeville (in the dry months) and the Westin Our Lucaya would be ideal beach destinations.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 3:14 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
by the way, the Bali Hai sunset (Princeville resort) is one of the most beautiful, if not top, sunset views in all the world
Old Jul 31, 2006, 7:37 am

Programs: Platinum AA, Gold Skymiles, *wood Platinum
I really enjoyed the St. Regis Monarch beach. I think it's one of the top 5 in NA.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 8:36 am

St Regis Monarch Beach

I cannot endorse the St Regis Monarch Beach as the best *wood. It may be the most expensive! But in my experience there is little relationship between the cost of the rooms and the value received. Experiences during trip not long ago (which will probably be the last trip I pay for myself -- as opposed to having company pay): Thirty minute wait for car because valet could not find it -- this when parking was $25+/night. Forty-five minute wait for breakfast in Motif. No apologies. No free coffee. Just putting name on list. Were then referred to a coffee shop on upper floor. The line (a dozen or more people) there stretched out of the coffee shop into the lobby and a paper cup of coffee was $5. Hall littered with room service trays/trollies. DVD player in room did not work: There was video but no audio. Call for help. Was assured someone would come shortly. Waited for 45 minutes and called again. Told someone was on way. Half an hour later (or more than an hour after initial call) someone showed up. Seemed angry to be disturbed.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1P; SPG Plat;
Originally Posted by rhermoso
I am trying to combine an American Airlines free companion certificate good in the 48 states to take my wife to a resort for our last hurrah before we become parents later this year. I am having trouble finding one that fits the bill: on a beach, where we could watch sunsets; preferably at 10,000 points per night; one with enough to do to merit 5 nights (40k). The Caribbean would have quite a few options, but the free ticket isn't valid there. September is our expected travel time.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Unless the sunSET view is paramount, I would also endorse the Westin Diplomat as the best solution in your situation. Do a search and you will find a thread or 2 that name the Starwood Preferred concierge at the property. Even if you don't have Platinum status, I would bet that she could be helpful in finding you an upgrade to one of their terrific corner suites. Especially if you lay on the reason for your trip. As long as some huge convention isn't filling the place, you should score one.

The St. Regis will be way more points than you want to spend. I also agree with a previous post that you might check with AA to see if you can add some $$ to the cert in order to go to HI. There are a number of resorts there that would meet all your requirements. enjoy your last moments of freedom with each other!
Old Jul 31, 2006, 9:23 pm

One more vote for the Diplomat. You really won't be sorry. We stayed there in May and it instantly became one of our favorite *Woods. You won't get the sunset, but you will get a great sunrise. Plenty of stuff to do in the area, lots of good restaurants, easy access to the airport and top notch service. Oh and the gym is free as is the wireless in the lobby.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have actually stayed at the Diplomat several times for work and as a Platinum was upgraded to the corner suites mentioned. They were probably the best combination of space and view I have ever had in a hotel room. Sadly, we are not early risers and am afraid of being forced off the beach by the afternoon shadows. Also, when I was there, there was basically no beach, just a few feet of sand you stepped on on the way to a swim in the ocean. I have heard they redid the beach and imported sand. How wide is it now. And is the top-floor concierge lounge with the patio still in effect? I hope to be gold by then, but am not sure if I will qualify for access. I remember it being easily the best lounge I have ever been to.

As for the HI suggestions, we are based in NY so getting my wife to the West Coast is about all we could manage. If I can get the certificate's criteria expanded, I could look into the Caribbean which would open up many more options.

Oh, and we were at the Lucaya in February, the Westin part. No upgrade as a gold, and really no special treatment as one either. Slightly disappointing, as we were houses in the tall hotel tower and had to walk to the other side of the resort to get to the quite part of the resort.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA 1P; SPG Plat;
The beach was fine last January when we were there. The lounge is still, perhaps, the best in Starwood's USA property list. Call that Platinum concierge at the Diplomat and plead your case!
Old Aug 1, 2006, 3:32 am

Programs: CO Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Presidents
Thumbs up

Sheraton Sand Key Resort, Clearwater Florida.

Its a great place!!

10,000 points per night, nice upgrades and free booze in the club lounge. Great workout and tennis and its right on the beach.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Well, I called AA to try to change the certificate to apply to the Caribbean and it was a no go, so if anybody has any strategies for doing so, please step up!

Assuming not, I'm weighing all the other great suggestions!

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.