Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Marqués De Riscal - Elciego, Spain [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by eternalX
Good info in this thread. Just booked 3 rooms for two nights in mid september. Sounds like the plan is to arrive midday and leave the morning of the 3rd. Highlights from above seem to be

1. Book early for the win tour
2. Eat both breakfast and dinner at Bistro 1860 instead of the gastro restaurant
3. Find lunch in the nearby town
4. Spend most of your time in the hotel and on the property

We'll be driving in from Barcelona and out to San Sebastian. Any other tips about the area or hotel?
You can book things like your restaurant, tours and spa well before you arrive.

Try the spa it is very good and very different.

Research what other vineyards/bodegas you want to visit ahead of arrival.

Perhaps budget for some time in Bilbao, the Guggenheim is worth a visit.

We thought the surrounding area was a bit boring with little to do beyond vineyards but that is perhaps because we had a relatively short stay and didn't research well beforehand.

The nearby walled town makes an interesting place to visit but it is best at night.

We didn't have the best experience at the feature restaurant which was very busy and the waiter managed to muck up the matched wine pairings.

On Sunday (I think) the feature restaurant is closed and the if you are lucky you can be seated in the feature restaurant (with the bistro food) which is a nicer and quieter environment (there were very noisy kids in the main bistro when we visited so were glad of this solution).

Don't rule out dinner in the bar for a lighter option.

September was I think when we visited and seemed to be a good time for weather with some grape harvesting happening too.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold, Delta Silver, Hyatt Diamond
Obviously, YMMV but we had an excellent experience at the gastro restaurant. Our trustworthy friends who visited on a separate occasion loved it as well.

There are many nearby small towns which we enjoyed.

I would second the Bilbao recommendation. We made a day trip of it and enjoyed it very much.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HIlton Diamond
Thanks. I've been to the Bilbao Guggenheim before but perhaps I'll take the parents and we can visit on the way to San Sebastian - kinda on the way... Not to spin off topic but any reason to go to Pamplona? I think I'll pick up a book on Rioja
Old Mar 27, 2013, 7:10 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
I've literally just come back from this hotel. We spent 3 nights there, and a night at the W Barcelona either side of it.

We took the train from Barcelona Sants to Logrono which is about 4 hours. Then picked up an Avis hire care at Logrono station, and drove 20-30 minutes to Elciego, and Hotel Marques de Riscal. It's a beautiful drive, so have your camera at the ready! It's also almost absolutely vital to have your own car here, but they're fairly cheap. Parking is free at the hotel for hotel guests. The winery tour is also free for hotel guests and takes just under 2 hours. Make sure you book your spot nice and early (email the Concierge to book it).

I would HIGHLY recommend the restaurants - all of them! Brekkie was fantastic. For dinner, we had let them know in advance there were 4 of us, and we were all veggie. We were in for the most phenomenal shock ever - the food was magnificent! And the herbal tea cut straight from plants at the table was spectacular! 9 delicious courses - I've never experienced anything quite as similar! The ambiance isn't the nicest you'll find, but the food is definitely worth it. Try the pattatas bravas in the bar too.

Depending on how much time you have, I'd also highly recommend you speak to the Concierge and book in some other bits and bobs. I can personally speak highly of:
  • Bodegas Lopez de Heredia - the only winery making wine the old fashioned way (mostly by hand). And my favourite (new) white wine in the world - Vina Tondonia. Well worth a visit/tasting here. It is also next door to La Rioja Alta (amazing wine, home of the famous 904) and Bodegas Roda, who sell Dauro olive oil which is worth stock-piling in huge quantities. All in the region of Haro, which is the capital of La Rioja, and Rioja Alta district.
  • The village of Laguardia - if you go, and want an English tour, I'd highly recommend you getting in touch with Judith or Xavier in the Pepita Uva shop. You can easily spend half a day here or more. It's the most astonishing little village ever, hidden within some walls. Fantastic history!
  • If you want to see some of the more architectural buildings of the area, Baigorri and Ysios are also worth a look.

Besides that - the spa is worth spending some time in of course. And there are countless other magical vineyards we just didn't have the time to visit! The concierge will help you plan a fantastic itinerary. As will the sommelier in the restaurant. He was so good and genuine that I gave him my last Platinum Thank You card - he was very pleased.

Good luck and enjoy. Let me know if I can help any more.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by PlatinumJK
Bodegas Lopez de Heredia - the only winery making wine the old fashioned way (mostly by hand). And my favourite (new) white wine in the world - Vina Tondonia. Well worth a visit/tasting here. It is also next door to La Rioja Alta (amazing wine, home of the famous 904) and Bodegas Roda, who sell Dauro olive oil which is worth stock-piling in huge quantities. All in the region of Haro, which is the capital of La Rioja, and Rioja Alta district.
Completely agreed on this. The LdH winery experience blew away our tour at the Marquis de Riscal. Much more intimate and educational generally, plus you get to see wine made in a non-industrial/mass-produced manner. Plus their wine is better IMO.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 1:18 pm
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)

Yes, yes and yes Silentbob! We went to LdH first, even though we were staying at Riscal. You can't help but absorb and take away their passion for their wines. And it's definitely better than any Riscal - without a doubt. The Riscal sommelier even agreed, and insisted we go to LdH!

Strangely, I've been unable/left uninspired to drink Riscal since the tour. Mass production is one thing. But Riscal is on another level! Both definitely great experiences though, just to see the sheer expanse of differences in wine production.
Old May 4, 2013, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl

We checked in yesterday for a quick 2 night stay between days in Madrid and Barcelona. This thread pretty much sums up our experiences at the hotel and after one night we are very happy with our choice to take in a couple of days at this wonderful property.

We had booked a nightly Euro 350 rate for a Grand Deluxe room that included daily breakfast, flowers and champagne upon arrival. As a platinum, we were upgraded to a very nice Executive Suite in the Spa Building.

Rooms is huge and well appointed. Can't really add anything about the actual facilities that hasn't been mentioned so far. Can confirm that the wifi is spotty at best and keeps kicking us out.

Dinner last night in the restaurant was very good but we did find the menu somewhat limiting and a couple of more choices would have been great. Tonight we are going to try the Bistro Restaurant which offers a couple of additional choices.

Spa is booked for later this afternoon. Drive around the area is beautiful and La Guardia is worth a visit.

We like so many took the train to Logrono and the got a little Fiat 500 for the drive to the hotel.

Stay definitely has the potential to be one of our nicest *W stays in all my years of loyalty!
Old May 5, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold, Delta Silver, Hyatt Diamond
Thank you for the update on one of our favorite SPG properties.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question No Select Standard Suites?

I am not able to apply SNA to my reservation. Is there no Select Standard Suites at all this property? Kind surprising since this property seems to be pretty good at upgrading Platinum.

Only possible reason:
The hotel isn’t configured for Suite Night Awards. Potential reasons include, but are not limited to, hotels that don’t have upgraded room types and all-suite hotels.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TerryK
I am not able to apply SNA to my reservation. Is there no Select Standard Suites at all this property? Kind surprising since this property seems to be pretty good at upgrading Platinum.

Only possible reason:
Aren't all rooms here effectively suites?
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
It has Deluxe Rooms, at least that's how the property calls them.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think there has to be a very small number of rooms with most being suites (which are like a very large room). Most rooms are over in the block housing the spa and all in that block appeared similar to us when we stayed.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
According to the information I received when I was there, there are no suites at all (in the sense of a living area and a sleeping area separated by a wall). I do speak Spanish, so either it's true or they were lying. But I did get a very nice large open room with a sitting area and a small table in the entry hall way in the rectangular annex.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
In the Annex (Spa Wing) yes, they are very nice rooms with a couch and sitting area.

According to the website there are 9 Executive (Studio) Suites and they are in the Spa Wing (Annex).

There is one Gehry suite and that is in the Main building. The main building is shape is unique that I think its hard to categorize the few Deluxe rooms there but I think they call them "Grand Deluxe" rooms.

Bottom line, you are not going to have a bad room in this property. It's a beautiful sight to see and explore.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Thumbs up

All rooms are amazing, from what I saw. I just looked back at room types, and I guess I was in a deluxe room, not a suite, when I stayed there. It was so massive (like 600 square feet) and luxurious that it felt far nicer than most suites.
I stayed on free nights as platinum. Still remember getting a very good bottle of wine, chocolate truffles and a personal note from the general manager as a welcome. Also, they delivered breakfast to order for free to the room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.