Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: How do I book an award for someone else when I won't be present?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: How do I book an award for someone else when I won't be present?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2007, 7:07 pm

Most of the time that I have booked for someone else they were travelling with me..The one time that I was not there, I called the front desk when I made the booking and also sent a fax explaning that the booking was a gift for my parents and was being paid with my points

Hope this helps
Old Feb 13, 2007, 8:55 pm

It is allowed and has never been a problem. If your booking on spg.com then enter into the remarks section that this is a gift for ??????.
If booking via there call centers adv them this is a gift and ask them to enter this into remarks also.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:23 pm

Possible

I reserved the room under my name and added my dads name to the reservation -- I had to call SPG to add my dad and this wasn't a problem.
My dad and mom spent 3 nights in Paris.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
Can you book award for someone else if you're not there?

Trust me--I tried "search" and could not get anything to come up. Can I reserve an award stay for someone in my family? Do I have to be there? If I remember from previous posts, if I put their name on the reservation with mine, they can check in and use the room even if I am not there? Help??????
Old Aug 6, 2007, 8:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Marysunshine
Trust me--I tried "search" and could not get anything to come up. Can I reserve an award stay for someone in my family? Do I have to be there? If I remember from previous posts, if I put their name on the reservation with mine, they can check in and use the room even if I am not there? Help??????
Yes, you can. I've done it countless times -- and even been on the receiving end a time or two.

When you make the reservation just add a note in the comment field that the room is for x and that you will not be there. When you pull up the reservation online you probably won't see the other person's name along with yours, but if the comment is there, you're friends/family will be fine. Tell them what you're doing though, so that when they check in, they'll know to give your name if theirs doesn't pull anything up in the system. I usually equip the person with a copy of the reservation, just to be sure, but I don't know that it was ever needed.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 8:33 pm

Comment Field?

AZ,

You've done this countless times? Award travel? Where oh where did you find a comment field?

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Yes, you can. I've done it countless times -- and even been on the receiving end a time or two.

When you make the reservation just add a note in the comment field that the room is for x and that you will not be there. When you pull up the reservation online you probably won't see the other person's name along with yours, but if the comment is there, you're friends/family will be fine. Tell them what you're doing though, so that when they check in, they'll know to give your name if theirs doesn't pull anything up in the system. I usually equip the person with a copy of the reservation, just to be sure, but I don't know that it was ever needed.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
My wife typically "checks in" to the hotel while we were travelling "separately"

She normally checks in fine, no problems.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 8:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Matthew53
AZ, You've done this countless times? Award travel? Where oh where did you find a comment field?
Yes, countless times. But they make you work for it.

After you make the reservation, go back pull it up on line. Under Personal and Credit Card Information, click on Change My Information.

That brings up all your personal information, including section four, Optional Information, which includes the comment field. Add your comment, review your changes, confirm your changes, and it's there.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 8:58 pm

Personal and Credit Card Information

Wow. I had no idea. Going forward, this will save me a lot of phone calls! Thanks.

Yes, countless times. But they make you work for it.

After you make the reservation, go back pull it up on line. Under Personal and Credit Card Information, click on Change My Information.

That brings up all your personal information, including section four, Optional Information, which includes the comment field. Add your comment, review your changes, confirm your changes, and it's there.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
You can make this reservation online or over the phone.

As stated above, you are able to work around the system.

dh
Old Aug 7, 2007, 4:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...

I use this function on every reservation to write something like "SPG Platinum, request suite upgrade if available. Thanks !" and it seems to work wonders.

Just a word of caution : this transaction can be rather temperemental on spg.com - particularly if you get into the sign-in sign-in sign-in vortex - and IME it can sometimes fail to execute, so when you're done I would just advise you to go back in and check your comments are there.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Aug 7, 2007 at 5:02 am
Old Aug 7, 2007, 5:40 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I have only done this by phone -- thanks for the tip. Although I probably wouldn't want to risk that field somehow not being recognized by the front desk when my awardee checks in. I have also done the "my guest will check in before me," but I don't think that that's necessary -- i.e., booking an award for someone else is explicitly allowed.

I gifted an award recently to a friend (at the Westin Tokyo) and they upgraded her to the club level (presumably because I am Platinum) even though I wasn't there. Nice surprise!
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I, too, have often gifted stays when I was not at the hotel. Either call or, as suggested above, add it to the on-line reservation. I have not, however, tried it using the new spg.com.

Originally Posted by atxtraveler
My wife typically "checks in" to the hotel while we were travelling "separately" She normally checks in fine, no problems.
Are you saying you make reservation in your name and your account, and then she checks in......getting credits to your account? Hmmmmm.....interesting.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 10:07 pm

I gifted 2 nights at the Danieli in Venice for my brother in law's 50th birthday. They were upgraded to the old building in a huge room. I've also reserved rooms (over the phone) for my daughter and son in law, and for my neice and there has never been a problem
Old Aug 11, 2007, 7:46 am

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Don’t know if you’re still reading this thread since you’ve already made the reservation, but I also send an email to the hotel to be sure they themselves know it, rather than just via the reservation form.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.