Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Getting a hotel room for a month, experiences?

Getting a hotel room for a month, experiences?

Old Jul 11, 06, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat/4MM, AS Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
Thanks for the clarification. Based on what others said, it sounds like at the 30 day mark I get to save a lot on taxes, which might be worth it to me. I would also be more than happy to negotiate something (if possible) where I earn only stay credits, and no points. My Starpoints are all on that direct deposit to AA, so a few thousand AA miles aren\'t that valuable. Plat at SPG is. I will just call the revenue manager and see what can be worked out with this particular hotel. Thanks.
Yes, the taxes you can save are nice (anywhere between 7% and 20% depending on where you stay in the country - though LA area is around 15%). The way it works is that after you stay for the 30th day, you get the taxes up to that point refunded and any future taxes waived.

It is my understanding however, that no hotel will be able to waive the taxes AND give you the Starwood credit/points. Its an either/or thing, because you are either a guest at the hotel (and settle up every few weeks or so, so that no stay is more than 30 days) or you are a tenant at the hotel (where you get the taxes waived).
Old Jul 11, 06, 2:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by olimaspecto
Yes, the taxes you can save are nice (anywhere between 7% and 20% depending on where you stay in the country - though LA area is around 15%). The way it works is that after you stay for the 30th day, you get the taxes up to that point refunded and any future taxes waived.

It is my understanding however, that no hotel will be able to waive the taxes AND give you the Starwood credit/points. Its an either/or thing, because you are either a guest at the hotel (and settle up every few weeks or so, so that no stay is more than 30 days) or you are a tenant at the hotel (where you get the taxes waived).

No way to get Plat "under the table" after another couple of stays?
Old Jul 11, 06, 2:43 pm

No way to get Plat \"under the table\" after another couple of stays?
I guess you could, and Im sure you could do the first few parts of your stay as separate bookings, but Im pretty sure that a 30+ day stay would prohibit it.
Old Jul 11, 06, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, maybe if he forgoes points though..

No points, 31 nights toward Plat, tax refund..

The points ARE really valuable, maybe they'll be open to that..
Old Jul 11, 06, 11:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Well, maybe if he forgoes points though..

No points, 31 nights toward Plat, tax refund..

The points ARE really valuable, maybe they'll be open to that..

If you are collecting Starpoints, then yes, they are. I, however, cannot keep my Gold this year and get them, due to the way I made Gold the first time. It was a give-away from AA, and was set up so that I get all Starpoints direct deposit as AA miles. It would only be a few thousand AA miles, and considering I get anywhere between 100k-150k miles/year from all sources, it's not a very big deal to lose out on a few, given what I might gain. I just remade Gold on my own, so starting next year, I will begin collecting Starpoints, as either Gold, or more likely, Plat.
Old Jul 12, 06, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My point was Starwood doesn't want you to earn that many starpoints. Because they're valuable.

So if you say, "hey, don't give me points, just give me 31 night credits toward Plat req and the tax refund", that might work..
Old Jul 12, 06, 3:42 am

Programs: AAPlt 1MM, HHDmd, MBvPLT/LTG, PCAmb
I moved to LA from DC a little more than 3 years ago. My company gave me a flat relocation fee and left me to take care of my own arrangements, so whatever I could save went straight to my pocket.

My job is close to LAX, and my former employer had an amazing rate at the Hilton LAX (similar to you, I wanted a property I knew, and I had stayed here a lot). In addition to that rate, I called the hotel sales/revenue manager and discussed what else could be thrown in for the length of stay and my HH gold status at the time? Of course the taxes were not charged for staying over 30 days. Agreed on a very large corner room, and they offered to put a refrigerator in for my stay. Status would get me into the lounge for breakfast, snacks, evening happy four finger food, cookies, and drinks. I negeotiated a discount on the parking (which usually was an additional $10 a day at LAX - got it for a few bucks per day). And finally got free Internet access in the room (though not sure they actually charged for it at the time for Gold/Diamond members).

That was good enough for me, so I made the reservation. I ended up hitting the jackpot by getting a fast track to Diamond in the middle of my stay. Crossed over with the last night at LAX so between the low rate, comfortable situation, and getting Diamond it was well worth it. So definitely have a list ready for the hotel manager -- unless their property is really busy, my guess there are lots of things they can add to the mix.

After the initial month+ at the Hilton, had to go to a conference in Vegas and had about another two months before my house was ready. Was trying to decide whether to just keep the room at the Hilton for the tax benefit or check out? I ended up landing a room at the LAX Sheraton on priceline for the 4 nights between my getting back from Vegas and a trip back to DC. That rate was $36/night -- almost half what I was paying at the Hilton. With SPG Gold they gave me an odd corner room they have there -- it is setup like a suite because it is that big, though it is one room. Was pretty happy with that. But then even better, they mistakenly put a receipt under my door the last night and I saw the priceline rate was $31/night. I was back and forth between LA and DC for the next six weeks, so everytime I was back in LA I would just priceline 3* LAX hotels at $31/night. Always got either the Sheraton (and always got that great room) or Crowne Plaza (regular room, but free breakfast for my Priority Platinum status). I am not necessarily recommending this strategy for you since you want to earn SPG Platinum and not sure if you are paying or if work is? -- but I would recommend checking out all the options for your dates and needs to see if one of the other area chains may have a better deal (and you could probably get an instant status match or challenge that way).

Last edited by dbuckho; Jul 12, 06 at 4:21 am
Old Jul 12, 06, 3:45 am

If you are collecting Starpoints, then yes, they are. I, however, cannot keep my Gold this year and get them, due to the way I made Gold the first time. It was a give-away from AA, and was set up so that I get all Starpoints direct deposit as AA miles. It would only be a few thousand AA miles, and considering I get anywhere between 100k-150k miles/year from all sources, it's not a very big deal to lose out on a few, given what I might gain. I just remade Gold on my own, so starting next year, I will begin collecting Starpoints, as either Gold, or more likely, Plat.

On this subject -- how long ago did you get SPG Gold via the AA promo? Many years ago I got SPG gold via AA Platinum status. When I realized how valuable the points were, I switched my earning preference over -- I think it was about 4 months later (and it was a good marketing move for them -- went to Plat the next year and stayed at least Gold since).
Old Jul 12, 06, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by dbuckho
I moved to LA from DC a little more than 3 years ago. My company gave me a flat relocation fee and left me to take care of my own arrangements, so whatever I could save went straight to my pocket.

My job is close to LAX, and my former employer had an amazing rate at the Hilton LAX (similar to you, I wanted a property I knew, and I had stayed here a lot). In addition to that rate, I called the hotel sales/revenue manager and discussed what else could be thrown in for the length of stay and my HH gold status at the time? Of course the taxes were not charged for staying over 30 days. Agreed on a very large corner room, and they offered to put a refrigerator in for my stay. Status would get me into the lounge for breakfast, snacks, evening happy four finger food, cookies, and drinks. I negeotiated a discount on the parking (which usually was an additional $10 a day at LAX - got it for a few bucks per day). And finally got free Internet access in the room (though not sure they actually charged for it at the time for Gold/Diamond members).

That was good enough for me, so I made the reservation. I ended up hitting the jackpot by getting a fast track to Diamond in the middle of my stay. Crossed over with the last night at LAX so between the low rate, comfortable situation, and getting Diamond it was well worth it. So definitely have a list ready for the hotel manager -- unless their property is really busy, my guess there are lots of things they can add to the mix.

After the initial month+ at the Hilton, had to go to a conference in Vegas and had about another two months before my house was ready. Was trying to decide whether to just keep the room at the Hilton for the tax benefit or check out? I ended up landing a room at the LAX Sheraton on priceline for the 4 nights between my getting back from Vegas and a trip back to DC. That rate was $36/night -- almost half what I was paying at the Hilton. With SPG Gold they gave me an odd corner room they have there -- it is setup like a suite because it is that big, though it is one room. Was pretty happy with that. But then even better, they mistakenly put a receipt under my door the last night and I saw the priceline rate was $31/night. I was back and forth between LA and DC for the next six weeks, so everytime I was back in LA I would just priceline 3* LAX hotels at $31/night. Always got either the Sheraton (and always got that great room) or Crowne Plaza (regular room, but free breakfast for my Priority Platinum status). I am not necessarily recommending this strategy for you since you want to earn SPG Platinum and not sure if you are paying or if work is? -- but I would recommend checking out all the options for your dates and needs to see if one of the other area chains may have a better deal (and you could probably get an instant status match or challenge that way).
Thanks for the info there and the story. Very interesting...

I do second the point on Priceline and it is amazing to me the rate you can get at the same hotel (of course no points, etc) but still a great rate. Of course priceline is only limited to 30 day stays so you have to pay the sales tax, but you can stay a bundle. Using BetterBidding and priceline/hotwire I found some amazing $40-$60 rates at big name properties in LA.
Old Jul 12, 06, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For an example of hotwire regularity, a friend would always get $45 or so for Embassy Suites in Houston when there for conferences. Eventually something like 5-10 more people (she told) ended up doing the same thing every time. (again a few years ago, not sure about now)

For me though, I prefer to just choose where I'm going, and definitely always want to earn Starpoints if I can.
Old Jul 12, 06, 5:24 pm

I only use priceline when I have a pretty good idea of where I will end up via biddingfortravel or betterbidding (or at least all possible options are ok). I love earning points too - and always consider that in my decision (paying lowest rate I can get with points vs. priceline and not gettting any). 90%+ of the time the dollars saved up front is worth more than the points earned in terms of net present value.

I have actually earned points for a majority of my priceline stays too -- I think I did for the Sheraton in the my experience above -- but at $31 a night, 60 or so points barely makes a difference in the account (though I do enjoy seeing it post!). For most chains, the stay/nights do not count for status -- though a few company's computer systems do count them.
Old Jul 12, 06, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by dbuckho
I have actually earned points for a majority of my priceline stays too -- I think I did for the Sheraton in the my experience above -- but at $31 a night, 60 or so points barely makes a difference in the account (though I do enjoy seeing it post!). For most chains, the stay/nights do not count for status -- though a few company\'s computer systems do count them.
I believe Hyatt does count them, and they also allow elite benefits on priceline stays.
Old Jul 21, 06, 4:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Well, I got my dates, and managed to get what I thought was a pretty good deal. They quoted me $100/night, no taxes and full points. However, the Doubletree in the area quoted me $90/night, but no points. The Sheraton beat that, at $85 and still gave me the points, and as Gold, I am pretty sure I get free breakfast with that hotel, so I'll save a bit on meals too. More expensive than an apt. for a month, sure, but if it allows me more time to research exactly where to live, and I save in the long run, I'll be happy.
Old Jul 21, 06, 7:42 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by olimaspecto
I believe Hyatt does count them, and they also allow elite benefits on priceline stays.
Priceline stays at Hyatt no longer counts for status credits (no matter if you add any incidentals) as of 3/05. However, all status benefits are offerred no matter your stay type.
Old Jun 14, 09, 12:51 am

Programs: AA LTP 3.3 MM, VS G, BA, Hyatt D, Hilton D
Starwood Long Term Rates / Extended Stays

Does anyone know if there are special rates for Long Term Rates / Extended Stays : Eg: 30 day Rate or 90 Day Rate or even 6 Month Rate?

My Cousin needs a hotel for 90 days minimum, maybe longer.
What's the best strategy ?
He wants to keep his daily budget low. He's been living in a hotel now for 4 months and loves it..
He is completely flexible, hes moving from Canada and wants live either in Florida or Vegas, but is open to anything.

Would they accept $40-$50 per night ?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: