Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Le Parker Méridien Palm Springs [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Parker Méridien Palm Springs [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:55 pm

Programs: Marriott LT-TE, United Gold
Just completed our third or fourth (lost track) stay at this property and while we've loved every visit, it's only gotten better each time! Flew in from SFO Friday afternoon and checked in along with a bunch of other people from our flight. We were upgraded to a Villa for the first time which was very nice of the staff! It worked out well with our 16 month old daughter since the living and bedrooms can be partitioned off (we actually put her crib in the little separate bar area attached to the living room that has an additional thick curtain to keep even more light and noise out). I'll put in some more highlights below but we ate at Norma's for breakfast and dinner each night (planned to go out one of the nights but it was so relaxing to not get in the car we just stayed in) which was amazing, and had lunch at the pool. The grounds were perfect for walking around (our daughter loved chasing the bunnies and playing around the fountains) and lounging as usual. Not sure if it was because it was Father's Day weekend but there were many more kids than we had seen during our past visits. This was the first time with our daughter so it worked out great but keep in mind that the kid friendly pool (by the North building, not the larger one next to the spa/Yacht Club) can be full of kids at times.

Some highlights from this and past trips:

- Our favorite room thus far is the Lenai rooms that overlook the North Pool (kid-friendly). They're on the ground floor and open up directly to the pool making it easy to go in and out from your room Had we gotten one on this trip, it would've made it easy to put our daughter down for a nap while still enjoying the pool via a baby monitor (not that we're complaining about the villa). We've yet to stay in the Mafyia Suite (next to the croquet lawn) or the Gene Autry house.

- The Platinum breakfast is now a $20pp (up to $40 per room) plus 15% tip credit at either Norma's or Room Service per day. Worth every penny!

- Norma's is now open for all 3 daily meals (I think they used to not do dinner). The breakfast is can't miss, especially the breakfast quesadilla. As someone else pointed out the coffee is served in a french press for $6pp. You can get as much as you like so don't be shy to ask for another press or two. Not sure about lunch as we've only gotten it from the pools (it's good, nothing spectacular). The dinner is also very good. The steak fajitas can feed two and the fish tacos are some of the best I've had (and I've had them many, many places). Prices are in line with the rest of the resort (meaning they're higher than average, think $20 average for entrees) but the portions, in general, are large.

- The grounds are expansive and really fun to walk around (especially after picking up a drink from the lemonade stand). There are hidden alcoves (many with fountains) all over to relax in, as well as hammocks, fire pits and whatnot. If you go behind the lemonade stand (past the ping pong table and giant chess) there are two huge grassy areas that kids and/or dogs love to run around in. They're pretty hidden so unless they're setting up for an event they'll probably be empty. The second area/field is hidden behind the big wooden door (or walk on the path to the far right). There's also an unadvertised (from what I could find) putting green (with sand traps) on the back lawn. Not sure if they have clubs and balls to borrow but worth asking (or byo!). The front area is where the back entrance to the Gene Autry Residence is so if you hear any VIPs are coming in, you might catch a glimpse if you hang out around here.

- As mentioned above about Norma's, everything sold on the property is fairly expensive, so be prepared. Norma's averages $20+ per entree (plus the $6pp coffee), beers are about $8 everywhere and mixed drinks start around $13 and go up from there. I'm not sure if this is universal but at Norma's all the vodkas are the same price, so no difference between well and goose. On the flip side the portions at Norma's are generally large and the mixed drinks I had were definitely stiff so it's not like you're paying a lot and getting nothing to show for it but don't say you wern't warned about the costs! If you want to save some $ you can sneak in some drinks in your bag and put them in your fridge. Just grab some plastic cups from the bar to pour them into to take to the pool. Even easier if you get a Lenai room!

- The decorations are Palm Spring kitsch so don't expect something like the St. Regis. Personally we love it and thinks it adds to the charm but others have mentioned it looks like random junk from your Grandma's attic. I do think the rooms have gotten better over the years (they finally got rid of the CRT TV, at least in the Villa, in favor of Samsung LED flat screens) but it still has the same look and feel.

- The bath amenities are still the same as pictured in an above post. If you're lucky (and leave a nice tip), the room service staff may replace the nice ones if you hide a set to take home. No guarantees, we've had it be hit or miss over the years.

- The resort fee is $30 which covers the valet parking, wi-fi (which is much better than it was in the past), local calls and some other things I can't remember. I forgot to ask what/if they offered anything additional for plats (I was happy to get the $40+tip for breakfast!).

- If you forget anything, there is a Vons about a 10min walk away at the corner of Gene Autry way and E Palm Canyon Dr. There is also a Vons gas station there with some of the cheapest gas around, perfect for filling up the rental before heading to the airport.

- It isn't mentioned often but there is an indoor pool inside of the spa (Palm Springs Yacht Club). We didn't go this time but I'm 90% sure we got free entry as plats last time but not sure how it works for gold/non-status. It's perfect if you end up getting too much sun the first day but still want to swim - and they have wait staff that can bring drinks and food to enjoy poolside or on the private outdoor patio.

That's all I can think of for now. We love this place and try to make it out there every few years. I'm happy it hasn't changed dramatically over the years - just subtle things that only make it better.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: American Plat, Starwood Plat
review of first trip to hotel.

My family and I stayed at this hotel (1 night) for the first time a week or so ago while on a western USA roadtrip to see various national parks. Overall, we had a _great_ time at this property and would consider returning. My wife even mentioned just flying out to palm springs to stay at the hotel for a few days (we would almost never go to a place just to stay at a hotel normally).

I was travelling with family (wife + 1 daughter). We stayed on points (17,750k - cat 5 high) which IIRC was a junior suite (apologies if wrong - I stayed at several SPG properties on the trip and each had slightly different options). We tried to use a SNA but it did not clear. However, we were put in a very nice room (it had a name and was not part of the larger hotel building - I think there were 3 other units in our building), so I assume we were upgraded at check-in.

Things we loved:
* the grounds are very private - lots of greenery, very pretty. We watched hummingbirds visit the flowers/vines in the morning from our patio while the sun came up
* normal hotel service was excellent (restaurant, front desk, valet/bellhops). Everything was done top-notch.

Not quite as good:
* we had arrived after a long drive from Phoenix through a very serious downpour and were tired. We wanted to eat at the pool (so my daughter could go swimming as well - we had promised ). Service here was a bit slow but everything was to order and was great.
* overall the pool was busy and not really being serviced well (towels, cleaning up abandoned chairs to allow others to use them, etc). There was leftover food items left for some time at the pool and there were no clean towels. I don't know if this is a common issue or just due to it being a bit busy when we arrived.

Random:
* almost everyone else at the pool was speaking foreign languages (French, Spanish, and (I think) Polish). It was really interesting to see how broad the appeal of the hotel was.

I stayed at 4 other SPG properties during our road trip (+ La Posada de Santa Fe, Westin Vegas, Westin Kierland Mammoth, Westin Kierland in Phoenix). While each was nice in its own ways, I think this one was pretty darn special in terms of the décor, ambiance, etc.). I will post in each hotel thread on my experiences in the other hotels.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Just checked in here for two nights on award reservations. The resort fee is now a whopping $35/night, and with SPG Plat, I'm not sure why I should be paying for Internet access. No credit, reduction in the resort fee, nothing.

And the Plat breakfast is no longer a credit; it's a "continental breakfast" at Norma's, which according to the voucher, is a pastry, coffee and juice. And the voucher is very clear that gratuity is NOT included. Easily the worst and most pathetic breakfast amenity of any SPG property that I've visited since Plat breakfast was announced.

Overall, happy to have been able to use some SNAs to Junior Suites, but utterly unimpressed with the treatment of Platinum guests. Fortunately I booked at 12k/night before it jumped up to 20k/night.

...and just to add to the complaining, I checked in an hour ago and still have no luggage. Yeah, I know, I should have brought it myself...but I'm traveling with the family this time.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

Originally Posted by h8stn4d
Just checked in here for two nights on award reservations. The resort fee is now a whopping $35/night, and with SPG Plat, I'm not sure why I should be paying for Internet access. No credit, reduction in the resort fee, nothing.

And the Plat breakfast is no longer a credit; it's a "continental breakfast" at Norma's, which according to the voucher, is a pastry, coffee and juice. And the voucher is very clear that gratuity is NOT included. Easily the worst and most pathetic breakfast amenity of any SPG property that I've visited since Plat breakfast was announced.

Overall, happy to have been able to use some SNAs to Junior Suites, but utterly unimpressed with the treatment of Platinum guests. Fortunately I booked at 12k/night before it jumped up to 20k/night.

...and just to add to the complaining, I checked in an hour ago and still have no luggage. Yeah, I know, I should have brought it myself...but I'm traveling with the family this time.
If you booked online you shouldn't be paying for wifi anyway. Did you ask what the alternative amenity is at this property?
Old Dec 27, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by h8stn4d
Just checked in here for two nights on award reservations. The resort fee is now a whopping $35/night
Resort fee on an award stay? I didn't think that was possible.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Resort fee on an award stay? I didn't think that was possible.
In the end, I don't think I'm being charged a resort fee, although on check-in I was asked to initial/acknowledge the $35/night fee, which was the source of my confusion.

When I checked out, they did not give me a paper bill and said, "everything is taken care of" and I have no pending credit card charges.

So I stand corrected (I hope) about being charged...but the fee is now $35/night.

I was not given any alt amenity in lieu of free wifi.

And having now received it, then comp breakfast was OJ, coffee or hot chocolate, and a basket with a croissant, two small choc croissants and 1 or 2 other small pastries. So the basket was pretty generous. But no $ to apply/upgrade to breakfast, no room service option, and no granola/yogurt as I had seen in some other pictures.

Plats sitting right behind me were complaining about it. Pretty amusing.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Disappointing

Plat100. Stayed last weekend on a special spa credit deal for my wife's birthday.

I tried to use SNA to upgrade but was told this hotel doesn't offer that on some rates -- even though I booked with SPG. Ok. Then my Platinum Concierge emailed me to ask if it's a special ocassion. I told them it was my wife's birthday and we will drive out from LA. They asked what she enjoys, wine, champagne, flowers. Said they want to surprise her. They said they would give us a nice Platinum upgrade. Hotel was about half full -- summer time. I told them anything was a great gesture and said we would love an upgrade. I thanked them. We arrive. They whisper to me, "your wife will be so happy." Gave me the room key. We get to the room. It's terrible. Standard room. Nothing special about it. No upgrade and no wine or any birthday thing. When we were going out for dinner I stopped by the desk and told them I was disappointed. They said they messed up and something would be there when we return. Guess what? Nothing. The next morning the manager calls to apologize. Says they will send up a bottle of birthday champagne. We go to pool. Does it ever arrive??? Nope. I forward note to my platinum concierge. Another manager calls our room to say sorry and they messed up. I told them a birthday gift a day late isn't that special or much of a surprise. Just poor service all around. I didn't pay for anything extra, but them raising our hopes and the failing was pretty sad. The manager apologized to me at checkout. First impressions are everything. They messed up. No Platinum upgrade. No SNA award allowed. Usually SPG is great at surprise and delight for me when with the wife and family, but this place was amateur hour.

Also note:
$35 Resort Fee for Platinums (includes Internet). When you ask about an alternative they say "nope." They don't offer that. You have to push.

Platinum Breakfast is one juice OR coffee. And a pastry in a bag. Probably one of the worst SPG breakfasts I've ever seen.

Grounds and hotel are very nice. Very expensive but nice. Just wished the service was remotely competent.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Just finished a stay here. I was looking forward to this visit since I had last stayed here a few years ago and loved it.

Unfortunately the hotel looks exactly the same, only older and frayed. The aged carpets are quite shabby and garish. The same colorful uniforms that I found so chic on my last visit were shoddily maintained and on some staff were crumpled/unclean. The pool was quite elegant with snappy service but the pool itself had a lot of muck (leads me to believe that vacuuming/skimming is not performed as frequently as required).

It was a very hot week in Palm Springs (120+) - and for our bad luck the entire property lost power in the afternoon (and had no alternative sources). So i had to change my plans for staying in and head into the town in the sweltering heat. Got back around 11 and luckily while the power had returned the wifi was out. So goodbye any plans of working or even Netflix. The AC in the room was barely acceptable even while lowering it to 67 degrees.

Platinum privileges were quite underwhelming. I was given a upgrade from Estate Room to a Estate Garden (a quick check on the website and confirmed by the Platinum concierge showed that there were plenty of rooms including junior suites available). The Platinum breakfast included coffee, one glass of OJ and pastries. I was refused the option of a $20 credit from the menu (that was offered to another customer in this thread). So we ordered from the menu on both days (food was very good and made my experience a lot better). No option for making a green choice. And I was also charged the resort fee of $35. The valet service was prompt and they also managed to find a spot under a tree for my car as I had requested.

I did not have any problems with the staff but could not help noticing several guests complaining about their bill or about the rudeness of the waitstaff.

PS: About two weeks after my reservation the property called me to let me know that they were unable to charge my SPG card which I used to pay via the SPG site. When I told them that I will call them back to discuss in a few hours since I was about to embark on a flight from Changi the lady on the other end categorically told me that they will be cancelling my reservation if I don't provide the card number right away. I was a little surprised by the brusque nature but complied since I was looking forward to my stay. Little did i know that it was a harbinger to a mediocre stay.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
This was released this morning:

"Le Parker Méridien Palm Springs will be leaving Marriott on January 4, 2018. Reservations for dates on or after January 4, 2018, will not be eligible for Starwood Preferred Guest membership benefits, award redemption or accrual."
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by bcosinteno

"Le Parker Méridien Palm Springs will be leaving Marriott on January 4, 2018. Reservations for dates on or after January 4, 2018, will not be eligible for Starwood Preferred Guest membership benefits, award redemption or accrual."
This LPM I would have like to have tried.

Cheers,
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: 2mm+ UAL | Lifetime Titanium Marriott | Globalist Hyatt | SpireElite IHG
Unhappy

Originally Posted by bcosinteno

As a Lifetime Plat, amd SUPER bummed over this.
Now both of the 2 hotels that I really loved and stayed at regularly on points are both out of the programme - Parker PS and Pulitzer in AMS.
I have spent 6 of the last 8 Christmases in this Parker, almost always purely on points and almost always comp upgraded into a Villa (the 1bd apartments).
Lovely place, and so sad to see it go. Guess is time to burn out some points here in the next 4weeks before the chance is gone...
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:32 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
We really liked this hotel and were planning to visit in January. That’s disappointing news.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
This property was a favorite and IMHO a big jewel in the SPG collection. A friend wonders if Marriott tried making them put Book of Mormons in the rooms?
remymartin likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
This property was a favorite and IMHO a big jewel in the SPG collection. A friend wonders if Marriott tried making them put Book of Mormons in the rooms?
Funny but I don't think that was the reason. I personally think the real issue was with Marriott/SPG and the hotel in NYC and that Palm Springs is leaving because it has the same owner. I would think if there was a way not to loose the PS property from the portfolio they would have tried to do that but it likely was a package deal with the Le Parker Meridien in NYC. The NYC property needed to be renovated and Marriott likely had some pretty high expectations of what they wanted and I assume they may have wanted a reflagging of the property. Someone actually just reported in the hotels thread that they heard Marriott wanted to convert the property to a Courtyard which the owners understandably didn't want to do. In addition the hotel had issues in the past with SPG and reimbursement so that might have contributed to it as well.
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.