Search

Major SPG50 Miscommunication

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2006, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by mikey110890
priceline........................
Can you specify 2 beds with priceline? BFT had something on their site which suggested that it was not possible.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by boeingair
Can you specify 2 beds with priceline? BFT had something on their site which suggested that it was not possible.
I think it is risky in NYC with priceline if you want two beds. Perhaps you'd be lucky and get the Hyatt in Jersey city just across from Manhattan (they'd probably have two bed rooms--but you could check the website)--of course who knows what you'd get for sure when bidding PL ....I've heard that can be a great PL deal.

A friend of mine stayed there on a PL stay and he told me that it was the best PL deal he's had. It appears to have come up as a three star in the Jersey City zone. I guess the PATH train Exchange Place station is right out the door.

Last edited by Renard; Jun 26, 2006 at 8:47 pm
Old Jun 26, 2006, 8:54 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Well, the lady from CCS called back. The revenue manager at the hotel is not in today, so she can't really offer us much as he is not there to approve anything.

That being said, she did say she was talking with the hotel about doing something like bringing the room rate down from $319 to $299, and then giving our whole party one free night (by giving us points)--not one free night per room, but one free night total.

I said that I'm not too excited about that, and that we would love something like knocking $100 off per room per night, and then throwing in free breakfast, which would bring us to just about $150 per night. Of course she can't do anything until tomorrow, which happens to be the day before we fly to New York. :P

Does the above seem like too much to be asking for? BTW, do you have any input, Starwood Lurker?
Since you don't have anything in writing (NOTE - ALWAYS GET A CONFIRMATION IN WRITING or at least a person's name) I am sorry, but if anything is done for you it's definitely GOODWILL on *wood's behalf. What is the rack rate showing on the website since this is what they go by for the 50% off. Are you a Platinum?

Honestly, I do think the offer of one free night is extremely generous based on the fact that the hotel is surely near full occupancy since this is summer/tourist time in New York City.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm staying in a Mega Suite @ the W Court for $399 after SPG50. (Rack would be $800)

Rack at Tuscany for Mega was $900.

Would be considerably higher at Times Square. And I don't think they even allowed SPG50 to be used above Urban.

(Urban > Mega > Wow > Extreme Wow)

Also, rack rates at St Regis would be pretty high.. I don't think their best available rate is ever less than $650 is it? So rack would be..
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:17 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
I'm staying in a Mega Suite @ the W Court for $399 after SPG50. (Rack would be $800)

Rack at Tuscany for Mega was $900.

Would be considerably higher at Times Square. And I don't think they even allowed SPG50 to be used above Urban.

(Urban > Mega > Wow > Extreme Wow)

Also, rack rates at St Regis would be pretty high.. I don't think their best available rate is ever less than $650 is it? So rack would be..
Sorry, but the Times Square what? W or Westin? They are not anywhere near the prices you are quoting above. . .
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All Ws in NYC, sorry I thought that was relatively clear. I'm comparing rack rates for MEGA SUITE in this case. (staying on Aug 2nd)

(And simply pointing out iirc the W Times Square does NOT allow SPG50 on suites above Urban)

(And iirc Urban at W Times Square had a HIGHER rack rate than Mega at Court/Tuscany..)
Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ldsant
Since you don't have anything in writing (NOTE - ALWAYS GET A CONFIRMATION IN WRITING or at least a person's name) I am sorry, but if anything is done for you it's definitely GOODWILL on *wood's behalf. What is the rack rate showing on the website since this is what they go by for the 50% off. Are you a Platinum?

Honestly, I do think the offer of one free night is extremely generous based on the fact that the hotel is surely near full occupancy since this is summer/tourist time in New York City.
Absolutely right. SPG really has no obligation to do anything, so I'm impressed CCS is doing this much for us. I'll talk to our CCS person tomorrow after she talks to the hotel Revenue Manager and report back.

Looks like maybe we'll end up at the Westin Times Square.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:36 am

Absolutely right. SPG really has no obligation to do anything, so I'm impressed CCS is doing this much for us. I'll talk to our CCS person tomorrow after she talks to the hotel Revenue Manager and report back.

Looks like maybe we'll end up at the Westin Times Square.

When I made my reservation for SPG50, I had to make sure several times that the agent is quoting me price AFTER SPG50, not the Rack rates. The agent from SPG always failed to mention that such rate she was telling me was AFTER 50 percent off. Sorry for your inconveniences and trouble... I hope everything turns out right!

Meanwhile, 300 dollar rack rate at W time Sq. is a bit low considering their best rate is usually more than 300 bucks. But then again, the rack rate of 600 bucks per standard room, even at W, is a bit too high in my opinion.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:46 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
... BTW, do you have any input, Starwood Lurker?
Yes. Two things mainly: First, you did the right thing by contacting Corporate Customer Service to make your inquiry. Second, if the hotel agrees to offset the difference for - in your words - "my mistake", then I think they have gone above and beyond the call of duty.

In either regard, best of luck to you.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jun 27, 2006, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Second, if the hotel agrees to offset the difference for - in your words - "my mistake", then I think they have gone above and beyond the call of duty.
Very true. Thanks for your help! ^
Old Jun 27, 2006, 1:17 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
They way I read it, it's not a free night, but rather equivalent points for 1 free night, so not really a function of current occupancy. Still a generous gesture nonetheless. ^
Old Jun 27, 2006, 2:06 pm

I am not sure about the OP's travel dates, but I see around $200 a night at the Original W (Lexington) in July using the 'Save 20% on a 2-night Stay' deal.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/promot...NDRE_H&back=-1

It's not $150 a night, but I think it's a good deal...
Old Jun 27, 2006, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

So the end result was that we were offered one free night at the property for both of the rooms under our reservation, which was AMAZINGLY generous. Needless to say, we will be at the W. ^

Thanks for all of your help. Your advice and perspective were very helpful. :-: ^ :-:
Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:17 pm
In memoriam

So the end result was that we were offered one free night at the property for both of the rooms under our reservation, which was AMAZINGLY generous. Needless to say, we will be at the W. ^

Thanks for all of your help. Your advice and perspective were very helpful. :-: ^ :-:
Wow! I am really impressed with *wood's generosity and offer - that is amazing ^

Boeingair - thank you for keeping us all informed through the result. Too often people complain, ask for advice, and never let us know what the outcome is - nice job of keeping us informed ^ Have a great time in NYC!
Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Wow! I am really impressed with *wood's generosity and offer - that is amazing ^

Boeingair - thank you for keeping us all informed through the result. Too often people complain, ask for advice, and never let us know what the outcome is - nice job of keeping us informed ^ Have a great time in NYC!
Thanks!

And yes--I'm taking the email with me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.