FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Sheraton Desert Oasis Phoenix: Update: stays count in 2009 (did not in 2006) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/569810-sheraton-desert-oasis-phoenix-update-stays-count-2009-did-not-2006-a.html)

brahms77 Jun 15, 2006 8:51 pm

Sheraton Desert Oasis Phoenix: Update: stays count in 2009 (did not in 2006)

William, I remember reading on the SPG website about properties that are not eligible for stays and points and I didn't see Sheraton Desert Oasis Scottsdale Pheonix on the list. I stayed there for two nights and my stays nor points were credited. I don't really mind it (as my stays there were very nice), but was just curious as to why the stay credit nor points didn't post to my account (I have reservation number as well: I made one reservation online via spg.com and another one via phone through spg agent).

Could you possibly look into it? Thanks.

MarshKing Jun 15, 2006 10:00 pm

While William is certainly better able to answer SPG questions than I am, I will attempt to lend a hand.

If you look at the SPG terms and conditions on the Starwood website, you will see that section 6 addresses your question. The quote from the website is:

6. EARNING STARPOINTS FROM STARWOOD VACATION OWNERSHIP PROPERTIES

6.1. Due to the nature of Starwood Vacation Ownership properties many Starwood Vacation Ownership Properties have limited participation with the Program.

6.2. (a) At the following properties, Members will earn 1,000 Starpoints per stay on RACK, COR, BAR1 and AAA rate plans only. No in-hotel benefits, such as upgrades and late check-out, are available to Gold or Platinum Members. Free Night Awards and other hotel Awards cannot be redeemed at these properties, except for the 50% Discount Award which requires a three night minimum length of stay. Stays at these properties will not count as an Eligible Stay or Eligible Night towards elite levels of Membership or for threshold bonuses and promotions.

Properties:

Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Myrtle Beach, SC

Sheraton Desert Oasis, Scottsdale, AZ

Sheraton Mountain Vista, Avon, CO

Sheraton PGA Vacation Resort, Port St. Lucie Village, Port St. Lucie, FL

Sheraton Vistana Resort, Orlando, FL

Sheraton Vistana Villages, Orlando, FL

see http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...onditions.html

brahms77 Jun 16, 2006 8:15 am

Thanks for your perfect answer to my question. It's too bad that I "wasted" two qualification nights/stays, but then again, they upgraded my room to deluxe onebed from the regular one bed (which from reading the guidelines, it doesn't happen).

:)

Starwood Lurker Jun 16, 2006 9:13 am

Wow. Someday it will all be this easy...;)

I guess if I had a wish that I could make come true regarding SPG and SVO properties it would be that we don't confuse the issue by branding them as Sheratons or Westins. I never liked that idea much, but then, I don't get to make those decisions. :D

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

MarshKing Jun 16, 2006 11:19 am

Originally Posted by brahms77
Thanks for your perfect answer to my question. It's too bad that I "wasted" two qualification nights/stays, but then again, they upgraded my room to deluxe onebed from the regular one bed (which from reading the guidelines, it doesn't happen).

:)

You're quite welcome. :D That is terrific that they upgraded you. It is a bummer that they don't give night/stay credit. Though it looks like you should receive 1,000 points for your stay, assuming you stayed at a regular rate. For short stays, that is actually a decent deal.

gfowler-ord-1k Jun 22, 2006 4:05 pm

Question for William

Originally Posted by MarshKing
While William is certainly better able to answer SPG questions than I am, I will attempt to lend a hand.

If you look at the SPG terms and conditions on the Starwood website, you will see that section 6 addresses your question. The quote from the website is:...
6.2. (a) At the following properties, Members will earn 1,000 Starpoints per stay on RACK, COR, BAR1 and AAA rate plans only. No in-hotel benefits, such as upgrades and late check-out, are available to Gold or Platinum Members. ... Stays at these properties will not count as an Eligible Stay or Eligible Night towards elite levels of Membership or for threshold bonuses and promotions.
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...onditions.html

I have a reservation at the Sheraton Desert Oasis with a rate code of BAR6 (Best Available Rate). I called SPG customer service and was told that all the BARn rates would qualify for the 1000 points. However I got the feeling that the person was not real confident of the answer.

If all the BAR rates should get the 1000 point credits the web page should be changed.

Starwood Lurker Jun 22, 2006 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
I have a reservation at the Sheraton Desert Oasis with a rate code of BAR6 (Best Available Rate). I called SPG customer service and was told that all the BARn rates would qualify for the 1000 points. However I got the feeling that the person was not real confident of the answer.

If all the BAR rates should get the 1000 point credits the web page should be changed.

Sorry, but you got some bad information. BAR1 is the only eligible BAR rate that would earn the flat 1000 Starpoints bonus at this SVO property. It says that in the Property Conditions page and is regrettable that the associate did not know where to look to give the correct answer.

If you know who this was, I would be glad to see that they get some attention.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

tjk1976 Jun 22, 2006 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Sorry, but you got some bad information. BAR1 is the only eligible BAR rate that would earn the flat 1000 Starpoints bonus at this SVO property. It says that in the Property Conditions page and is regrettable that the associate did not know where to look to give the correct answer.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

William,

Would you mind explaining the difference between the Best Available Rate codes ("BAR1, BAR6," etc.)? :confused:

Thanks.

gfowler-ord-1k Jun 22, 2006 4:52 pm

Sorry, but you got some bad information....

Thank for the prompt and correct answer. Sorry but I did not get the person's name.

Starwood Lurker Jun 22, 2006 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by tjk1976
William,

Would you mind explaining the difference between the Best Available Rate codes ("BAR1, BAR6," etc.)? :confused:

Thanks.

BAR is short for Best Available Rate. Note: it is the name of a rate plan, not necessarily the best available rate. ;)

There are various degrees of available BAR rates; IIRC, they run from BAR1-9 with BAR1 being the most expensive of them. Properties use these various degrees of BAR (as well as other popular) rate plans to improve their revenue yield. For instance, if occupancy was anticipated to be very low, and I was a revenue manager at a property, I might activate the BAR9 rate. If I anticipated that occupancy would be high, then I might activate BAR1. The other versions would be activated for every scenario between these two extremes.

Actually, IIRC, most of this is done by yield management software, so I probably would not have to do anything to adjust the available BAR rates at any given moment. ;) Although I'm pretty sure that settings and overrides are a part of the software feature.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

tjk1976 Jun 22, 2006 5:08 pm

BAR is short for Best Available Rate. Note: it is the name of a rate plan, not necessarily the best available rate. ;)

Thanks for the quick and informative reply, William. Any inside tips on how to obtain the actual best available rate, other than by using the BAR code? :cool:

Starwood Lurker Jun 22, 2006 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by tjk1976
Thanks for the quick and informative reply, William. Any inside tips on how to obtain the actual best available rate, other than by using the BAR code? :cool:

LOL. Haven't you heard? We try to make that as hard as possible. :D

Seriously though, I don't really have any insider tips I could offer except to shop around effectively. If you want some hints on that, there are some real pros here at Flyertalk. Some have found the best deals at our properties by going to an individual hotel's homepage and starting their search there by looking at what they are offering.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

tjk1976 Jun 22, 2006 5:20 pm

LOL. Haven't you heard? We try to make that as hard as possible. :D

Haha, that was exactly the answer I expected. ^

FatManInNYC Sep 4, 2009 9:06 am

Now count as stay?

The current T&C seemingly states that stays will now count.

The properties are listed out under the controlling limitations to the participation. Note the Oasis is under 6.3(a), which does not state Stays will not count. Under 6.3(c) specific language is used to identify properties where such a limitation does apply.

As a matter of construction, the use of specific language in one clause, and the absence of it in another, suggests the author only intends the limitation to apply in those specific instances. In other words, no express limitation, stays count for elite status.

Can a Lurcker or knowledgable member please confirm?

6.3. (a) At the following properties, Members will earn Starpoints for all Eligible Charges; however upgrades, late check-out, and other in-hotel benefits are not available. Free Night Awards and other hotel Awards are not accepted.

Properties:
Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Myrtle Beach, SC
Sheraton Desert Oasis, Scottsdale, AZ
Sheraton Mountain Vista, Avon, CO
Sheraton PGA Vacation Resort, Port St. Lucie Village, Port St. Lucie, FL

(c) At the following properties, Members will earn 1,000 Starpoints per stay on RACK, COR, BAR1 and AAA rate plans only. Stays at these properties will not count as an Eligible Stay or Eligible Night towards elite levels of Membership or for threshold bonuses and promotions. No in-hotel benefits, such as upgrades and late check-out, are available to any Members. The 50% Discount Award is accepted but requires a three night minimum length of stay. Free Night Awards are accepted at these properties subject to the following conditions: 1) Free Night Awards may only be booked within 120 days of arrival; 2) blackout dates may apply; 3) limited rooms may be available for Free Night Awards; and 4) Starpoints acquired through conversion of a Vacation Ownership Interest at an SVO Resort may not be redeemed for Free Night Award accommodations at a SVO Resort.

Properties:
Sheraton Vistana Resort, Orlando, FL

Starwood Lurker Sep 4, 2009 10:45 am

Originally Posted by FatManInNYC (Post 12331618)
The current T&C seemingly states that stays will now count.

The properties are listed out under the controlling limitations to the participation. Note the Oasis is under 6.3(a), which does not state Stays will not count. Under 6.3(c) specific language is used to identify properties where such a limitation does apply.

As a matter of construction, the use of specific language in one clause, and the absence of it in another, suggests the author only intends the limitation to apply in those specific instances. In other words, no express limitation, stays count for elite status.

Can a Lurcker or knowledgable member please confirm?

If you earn Starpoints for the room rental revenue as mentioned in (a), you earn stay/night credit. Systematically, it cannot happen otherwise.

Where this differs in (c) is that a predetermined number of Starpoints are given only for certain qualifying rates. This does not generate stay/night credit.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]