Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

How does the W bed compare to the Heavenly Bed?

Old Jun 8, 2006, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold

Having never stayed at a W, I thought I'd ask as many of us here and on other forums are considering purchase of one of these beds.

Depending on who you believe, the pillow top W bed and the Westin Heavenly bed are one and the same... or, slightly different. It's all too confusing. Most people are currently buying the plush, non-pillowtop W bed and putting a featherbed on it to make it feel like the Heavenly bed, as there is a 20% off coupon for the W online store, making it significantly cheaper than buying the Heavenly bed from Westin's online store.

Again, comments from those experienced with both appreciated... and also, if you know if the beds in W hotels are pillowtop, or mattress + featherbed? Thanks...
Old Jun 8, 2006, 1:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bigbadbuff
. . . Most people are currently buying the plush, non-pillowtop W bed and putting a featherbed on it to make it feel like the Heavenly bed. . .
This is what most, but not all, W's use -- a non-pillow top bed with a feather bed on top. That's presumably why they're selling the W bed as such.

I think it is a better sleeping experience, though I also like the Westin Heavenly Bed, when it's being used properly. Like W's, not all Westin properties follow the standard.

If I were to buy one, I'd buy the W bed with feather bed -- no question. How lucky that it's on sale! (That never happens to me!)
Old Jun 8, 2006, 1:57 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
It's a close call but the W bed is a little better in my mind..
Old Jun 8, 2006, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Talking

I'm sleeping! I can't tell the difference!
Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA1P
35% off now. Promo code T6X4A.
http://www.whotelsthestore.com/

Very tempted to pull the trigger.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
As another poster mentioned, the products are not consistent across properties. The best Heavenly was better than any other W I've experienced. However, on average, I'd have to say the W's are often better.

With all that being said, the best hotel bed in the world that I've slept in was at the Diplomat Country Club in N. Miami (luxury collection). The service there was pretty incredible too.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jchao

thanks for the code, much better than the 20% code I had ^
Old Jun 21, 2006, 2:41 pm

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
@:-) Why not buy the Heavinly Bed AND put the featherbed on top of that?
Old Jun 21, 2006, 2:48 pm

link to the discussion @fatwallet
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...hreadid=625405
Old Jun 21, 2006, 4:45 pm

SO now the question is Plushtop or Pillowtop. I was in the market for a new bed and this takes the cake.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
One thing to consider with the feather bed is you need to keep fluffing them up. When you stay at a W Hotel they change the beds every day and presumably fluff them up too. At home it is up to you to do that. I dont change my sheets every day, so a feather bed starts to get a bit compacted between changes.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:51 pm

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
I am not considering either for home use, but most Ws have GREAT sheets, (100% Cotton, very high thread count) but many Westins have marginal sheets which are polyester blend.

If you opt for either bed at home, you are of course in control of the linens and you will surely enjoy either mattress.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:13 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by jchao

Just do it. You won't regret the decision.

I got the W bed pillow-top AND the topper almost a year ago. Still marvel at how comfortable the bed is. Firm support with softness on top.

Already had great linens, but on a Costco Sealy they were wasted.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by bigbadbuff
Having never stayed at a W, I thought I'd ask as many of us here and on other forums are considering purchase of one of these beds.

Depending on who you believe, the pillow top W bed and the Westin Heavenly bed are one and the same... or, slightly different. It's all too confusing. Most people are currently buying the plush, non-pillowtop W bed and putting a featherbed on it to make it feel like the Heavenly bed, as there is a 20% off coupon for the W online store, making it significantly cheaper than buying the Heavenly bed from Westin's online store.

Again, comments from those experienced with both appreciated... and also, if you know if the beds in W hotels are pillowtop, or mattress + featherbed? Thanks...
Personally, I have a hard time telling the difference. They're both super comfy. ^
Old Jul 11, 2006, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Nordstrom will be putting their brand of quality linens on sale for 25% off on the 14th, in addition to their Westin bed. I have Croscill set that I love personally, but sheets can make a major difference in bed comfort.
35%/bed at the W store is still a better bargain.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.