Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

LEFT MARCH 31, 2009: Palace Hotel, Copenhagen [Master Thread]

LEFT MARCH 31, 2009: Palace Hotel, Copenhagen [Master Thread]

Old Sep 4, 2008, 10:27 am

Programs: EBG, Hhonours Silver, Starwood Plat, Hertz#1 Gold Five Star, Sixt Platinum, Marriott Gold
My experience from a short stay at the Palace Hotel in Copenhagen.

I stayed at this hotel this week booked in for 3 nights but bailed out after only one night.

I had booked and I did receive a renovated Deluxe room, witch had a working AC, don’t think it had been working for to long since the fans was still in the room.

The room it self was ok, but that was also everything that was acceptable at the hotel. The rest of the hotel looked like a bloody construction site and the floor plan was terrible, it took almost 5 minutes to walk from the elevator to the room, mainly because of all the closed of hallways etc. At check in I was not recognised as Plat member, upgrade was out of the question and no Plat perks was offered what so ever.

The staff showed some service instinct, but was either very unskilled or they lied frequently. Like when I checked inn I was told that the reasons there was no wireless network there was because Le meridian had a stnd policy of no wireless network due to security, witch is bogus have stayed on several Le meridian hotels around the world with Wireless. Same lack of knowledge also appeared when asked for some local info.

That after a night where every hour on the hour i was woken since the bell at the nearby city hall rang every hour.

In addition had to argue to get breakfast even if my rate included breakfast, but they didn’t give in, and that’s when I just took my stuff and checked out 2 days before plan.

So summarised if you ever stay in Copenhagen this is not the absolute worst hotel in town but at least the worst international chain hotel. I will never set my foot on this hotel ever again, then I rather rent a car an stay at a hotel in Malmo.

Pleas get another Starwood hotel in Copenhagen, so I can ditch Scandic.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 11:31 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
My stay there two months ago had problems, as well. It was damn hot and the AC had not been completed yet. My room had afternoon sun which meant at 10pm, the room was still about 80F. That's just too hot for me to be able to fall asleep. I used the fans in the room and took two ambien - still a lousy night's sleep.

My biggest beef, however, was the amateurish way they cordoned off the lobby during the construction. They were using quilts and ragtag red blankets behind the front desk -- it looked like something a 2nd grader would've dreamed up. It was a horrible way to experience the hotel upon checkin. I know that the lobby will be among the last components updated, but there is NO EXCUSE for a lobby to look so yard-sale-like.

I never had a chance to meet the GM in person, but I really wanted to ask her how she could allow the public areas to look so inexcusably unpolished. With a budget of $300 and 5 manhours, I could've run circles around what they had done.

All that said, from what I saw, I'd say they'll have a glorious property in a few more months. With AC, I'd have been quite pleased with my room. The other public areas we saw (that had been completed) looked great; they really missed the boat in how they chose to temporarily outfit the lobby. If the brand manager from LM could see what this lobby looks like, he or she would fall off their chair.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 11:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
As I mentioned in a previous post, I opted against staying at the Palace during my 5 night stay in Copenhagen in August. Having now returned from Copenhagen, I can report that I did stop in at the Palace to have a look. I had intended to ask to see a renovated room because I plan to return to Copenhagen next year, but the front desk was busy and I didn't feel like waiting around. I have to say that the lobby looks excellent, complete with modern looking crystal chandeliers (think Planet Hollywood's new reception area) and workers were busily working when we stopped by. The exterior of the Palace was clad with scaffolding which gives the impression that they're doing a signifcant reno inside and out. I hope they take the great look of their new lobby through the whole building by the time they finish because I would like to stay there next year both because it's a *wood and its location can't be beat!
Old Sep 4, 2008, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Lousy 4 star hotel (and they wanted to be a 5 star, yeah right)

We have just returned from our 5 night stay at this property and gotta say this hotel needs more work. At checkin we were given room 326, which is a very very small NEWLY renovated room with a balcony (one of the only five rooms with balcony in the rear of the hotel). The room was about the same size as our cruise ship cabin (not counting the bathroom). It seems that the Danish likes to perform street repairs in the early mornings since the drilling commenced at 5 in the morning and stopped at 7AM on Friday 8/29. Oh, what air conditioning (it was installed in the renovated rooms, but it does not work). We had to have our windows opened and absorb the noise from outside and deal with the mosquitos.

By the way, I had to inform the front desk that the sink faucet leaks and there were no plastic tubing in between the glass panel for the showers so needless to say, water was all over the floor.

The following evening, we were moved to a bigger room in the interior, again where is the air conditioning? The room has two fans which had to be duct-taped since the upper portion of the fan is disjointed from the lower stand (how can a wanna-be 5 star hotel have this), these fans should be landfilled. Anyhow, the water wasn't replenish, no instant coffee (just tons of creamer and sugar), the hot water boiler was extremely dirty and crusted, on and on and on...

When they replaced our toilet paper, the roll had dark spots on the side (it just plain gross).

What a lousy 4 star hotel, the only thing great about this hotel is the location close the the end of Stoget and being close to Tivoli/Central station. We should of went with Marriott.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 1:57 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by sink
We should of went with Marriott.
You have a way with words!
Old Oct 9, 2008, 6:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Starwood Plat
Great Stay, Still Needs Work

Just got back from a two night award stay (as plat) for a long weekend in CPH...the hotel treated us great and put us in a room on the top floor looking out the front onto the square in front of City Hall and the viking horn statue....very nice.

The room was recently renovated, was very modern in design, but has two twins put together to form a king, large closet, very large shower (opposite the entry from the bathroom, and a nicely equipped bathroom. We did notice the heated towel bar was inop, but the front desk indicated they went ahead and deactivated all of the units because of the heat in the rooms and still no A/C.

All in all, excellent location, improving lobby and restaurants, nice refurbished rooms, and all will be well once the A/C is turned on. Also consider the hotel is a national landmark and is part of the local history.....all things considered staying in this location, in a landmark, warrants being without A/C....but it will still be great once the renovations are complete.

Great use of points and excellent stay.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 1:56 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold
I decided to stay there at the end of the month before travelling home and redeemed points for it. I'm only a Starwood gold but maybe I'll get lucky with an upgrade. Lack of a/c would be a killer for me but late fall should not be an issue.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 1:41 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Trip Report

Arrived at the Palace/Le Meridien in CPH after an overseas flight ORD-CPH. At check in, we were informed that we had received an upgrade to one of the new rooms with king'ish bed and view of Raadhusplassen (the square). They did not upgrade to suites, too tired to start the whole spiel and accepted the room.

Was offered Plat amenity, a bottle of wine was one option, took the 500 points.

The concierge / bell hop helped us with our luggage and took us up to the top floor with the ghetto elevator.

The entire floor was done, but they were painting the hall outside the elevator.

The room is pretty small, but very modern and nice. Bed and bedding is high quality and very comfortable, but not a king, it's two single beds put together. Large LCD TV with HD signal, great picture. Furniture was nice and good quality.

Room did not have any guide or mini bar price list, but room service had OK pricing.

The bathroom was funny, it was divided in two. On the left after entering the room, you found the sink and toilet, high quality materials. The shower was located after the bed left by the window... Strange... Note that the towels were in the toilet part, none in the shower room and there was only two towels.. So after the shower I had to stroll over to the toilet to get a towel..

Double doors to keep noise out, but they have used the old single window because it's a very classic nice window and it makes it very noisy in the morning with all the activity in the square in front of the hotel. There's a fan in the cabinet you can use to kill the noise or ask for a room on the other side of the building.

The morning after, we wanted to check out the breakfast buffet, but since we were staying on hard earned points, we had to pay, so we skipped it. The only rate without breakfast is award, according to the front desk.

Also, the A/C is now operational for those wondering.

All in all an OK stay, but not a 5 star hotel for sure..

Old Dec 25, 2008, 7:56 pm

Programs: US Air, AA, starwood gold, hilton gold, priority club
Originally Posted by tommy777

The bathroom was funny, it was divided in two.
Admittedly, I stayed here in September, but we couldn't deal with the weird bathroom, so we switched rooms to a room that had a shower and toilet in the same place.
We were two women friends who didn't really feel like traipsing across the room soaking wet and a) getting a towel, or b) loading up on various toiletries to transfer around.
Actually you can keep towels in that huge shower room thing, but they are likely to get wet. Plus, sometimes I like a bathtub. There was a sink also in our shower room and I was wondering what sort of items I could have kept there, realizing that they would be soaked after I was done showering.

Also, our room faced the City Hall and large square. There was a view of the square and also of the huge and ancient clock which is not a lovely chiming sound--especially at 8 AM after a long flight, or at any other hour, on the hour.

So we moved.

Although the bathroom, tub and shower were fine, here were the strangenesses that we noticed in that next room:
1. lighting
2. decor
3.un-comfy chair
4. No screen on old windows, and window must be left open unless you like heat from the day to hit you when you walk in your room
5. no drawers anywhere
6. towel warmer not working
7.clock on tv cannot be seen from the bed and there is none on nightstand
8. No phone near bed

The nice things were:
1. coffee/tea set up
2. robes and slippers
3. little modern bar downstairs
4. LOCATION

The location is the only real reason to stay here in my view. It felt very un-luxurious to me for the prices they charge.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Hanlgt

Although the bathroom, tub and shower were fine, here were the strangenesses that we noticed in that next room:
1. lighting
2. decor
3.un-comfy chair
4. No screen on old windows, and window must be left open unless you like heat from the day to hit you when you walk in your room
5. no drawers anywhere
8. No phone near bed

The nice things were:
1. coffee/tea set up
2. robes and slippers
4. LOCATION

The location is the only real reason to stay here in my view. It felt very un-luxurious to me for the prices they charge.
We had no problems with 1-3 on your negative list. I think the design/decor and lighting of the room was quite nice. Comment on #4 If you check out the pictures, you can see the heavy, red blinds. Also, the air condition system is now working, so no need to keep the windows open in the summer.

Also noticed that there's only one phone and it's located on the desk near the TV and that there's no clock radio.

I guess/hope they are still adding stuff to the rooms and that there will be a clock radio when the hotel is officially done with the refurb in January 09
Old Dec 26, 2008, 2:02 am

I did notice the picture of your room and the red-ness had some white curtains to go with it to make it less harsh and looked pretty normal. I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt regarding the decor in our room and assume that they hadn't finished it yet. It was totally red and black and we kept saying we felt like we were in either a badly decorated "house of ill repute" or some decorator felt it was fabulously soothing to have your bed and walls feel like they are screaming at you. My friend said she felt it was decorated in "anxiety" modern--which was not our taste.

And...we simply could not read in bed. No lighting for that purpose was available.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 2:07 am

Oh--and also--don't count on the clock radio to ever appear. In my experience, European hotels usually stick to the clock on the tv, but this one was so far away and so small, it was useless.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Admittedly, I stayed here in September, but we couldn't deal with the weird bathroom, so we switched rooms to a room that had a shower and toilet in the same place.
We were two women friends who didn't really feel like traipsing across the room soaking wet and a) getting a towel, or b) loading up on various toiletries to transfer around.
Actually you can keep towels in that huge shower room thing, but they are likely to get wet. Plus, sometimes I like a bathtub. There was a sink also in our shower room and I was wondering what sort of items I could have kept there, realizing that they would be soaked after I was done showering.

Also, our room faced the City Hall and large square. There was a view of the square and also of the huge and ancient clock which is not a lovely chiming sound--especially at 8 AM after a long flight, or at any other hour, on the hour.

So we moved.

1. lighting
2. decor
3.un-comfy chair
5. no drawers anywhere
8. No phone near bed

The nice things were:
1. coffee/tea set up
2. robes and slippers
4. LOCATION

Stayed here for 2+1+2 nights recently. I can but agree on all Your points but one; on the one-night stay the towel warmer actually was working, but since having to take towel and lay outside shower, it was cold long before using. This night the towel warmer was furthest to right, the other two stays just at the entrance, so actually happy not working, would have scalded shoulders on entry/exit.

Funny You used the term "un-comfy" chair, just what I wrote on the "How-did-we-perform-card" Since I had double/King rooms all three stays, in-room breakfast for two means one of two has to use desk chair not very comfortable either.

I had slippers, but no robe, so told front desk next morning - promised delivery during day - but didn't. No robe at check in next stay - phoned front desk bf gooing out for dinner, although new promise no robe. Last stay, commenting robe problem previous stays, check-in guy calls 10 min later to check - hearing no robe in room again promises robe DEFINITELY will be in room when I return after dinner meeting - did'nt

Beeing late December, early and mid-January, the plush curtains could not stop the very cold draught from the single glass layer window

Originally Posted by tommy777
We had no problems with 1-3 on your negative list. I think the design/decor and lighting of the room was quite nice. Comment on #4 If you check out the pictures, you can see the heavy, red blinds. Also, the air condition system is now working, so no need to keep the windows open in the summer.

Also noticed that there's only one phone and it's located on the desk near the TV and that there's no clock radio.

I guess/hope they are still adding stuff to the rooms and that there will be a clock radio when the hotel is officially done with the refurb in January 09
No they didn't, and, according to Front Desk Manager, won't Also, refurb not ready Jan 24, 2009 !

I did notice the picture of your room and the red-ness had some white curtains to go with it to make it less harsh and looked pretty normal. I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt regarding the decor in our room and assume that they hadn't finished it yet. It was totally red and black and we kept saying we felt like we were in either a badly decorated "house of ill repute" or some decorator felt it was fabulously soothing to have your bed and walls feel like they are screaming at you. My friend said she felt it was decorated in "anxiety" modern--which was not our taste.

And...we simply could not read in bed. No lighting for that purpose was available.

Still impossible. Have to have all main lights on to read in bed. Bed lights possibly ok to guide for bathroom visit. The ill repute thing entrance level - where a large bar would have been there is a very small bar and Ripley's Belive it or Not show room.

Oh--and also--don't count on the clock radio to ever appear. In my experience, European hotels usually stick to the clock on the tv, but this one was so far away and so small, it was useless.
Could not possibly see any clock in the otherwise ok flat 40" TV.

Verdict: This hotel is still a building site. Front desk said all should be done end of March 2009, but that is hard to belive. On 1st and 4th floor one has to climb in and over dirt and building materials. Of the two elevators, one of which in a previous post was described as the "ghetto elevator", are dirty, worn, and wold shame a 2* hotel, Palace having 4* (?) aiming for 5 (?????). Bar in lobby level very cramped. No wifi, but planned for lobby (2 seats) and bar (16 seats). WiFi plans do not include rooms. No Lounge. Buffet breakfast for 180 DKK very sparse, extreme low value for money. Rooms with nice design, but VERY dysfunctional: large shower room with no place for towels, no reading lamps for bed, uncomfortable single chair in double room. Old windows without insulation. Very noisy surroundings, location smack at Raadhuspladsen fine, but within 7-800m there are many hotels giving better value for money
This hotel is now Le Meridien within SPG family. My association when staying was - CDG ! Looks nice, but extremely dysfunctional, and when You complain they all promise to fix, but nothing happens
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:25 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by sbtinme
...If the brand manager from LM could see what this lobby looks like, he or she would fall off their chair.
Maybe he got a peak. My understanding is that this property will not be affiliated with Le Meridien brand or Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide after March 31st.

At least that is what the Special Condition says at spg.com concerning this hotel:

Palace Hotel
Special Conditions
Leaving Starwood on March 31, 2009
The Palace Hotel will be leaving the Starwood system on March 31, 2009. Reservations for dates on or after March 31, 2009, will not be eligible for Starwood Preferred Guest membership benefits, award redemption or accrual.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Maybe he got a peak. My understanding is that this property will not be affiliated with Le Meridien brand or Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide after March 31st.

At least that is what the Special Condition says at spg.com concerning this hotel:

Palace Hotel
Special Conditions
Leaving Starwood on March 31, 2009
The Palace Hotel will be leaving the Starwood system on March 31, 2009. Reservations for dates on or after March 31, 2009, will not be eligible for Starwood Preferred Guest membership benefits, award redemption or accrual.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
William, we need a push to get more Starwood properties in Scandinavia. As of now, Sheraton Stockholm is the only property..

Not good

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.