Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Never reserve advance at four points by sheraton SYDNEY

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2014, 4:19 am
Original Poster

It's my fault....

Last edited by jenniffer11004; Dec 26, 2014 at 1:00 pm
Old Dec 26, 2014, 5:20 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
I don't understand the complaint.

You seem to be saying:

1) You chose a prepaid non-refundable non-changeable rate.
2) The rates on sale later went down.
3) You asked to change your non-changeable rate which you'd already paid for to the new rates which went on sale at a later date.

Why on earth would you think that that was a reasonable request, or that any hotel would agree to it?

When you book a prepaid rate you take gamble that it's the best rate that there is going to be. Most times you win. But you're certainly not entitled to a discount if the rate goes down, any more than your petrol station will refund you if the price of gas goes down!

I paid a lot of money for a flat screen TV several years ago. Now they are on sale for 1/4 of the price. But if I were to go back to the store and ask them to refund the difference in price they would laugh at me.

I stayed at the Four Points by Sheraton when I lived in Australia. It's by far the best Four Points that I've ever seen - better than most Sheratons in the USA - and $140 per night is an unusually good rate - probably around 35% of the median room rate.

I'm flabbergasted to see someone complaining about such a fantastic rate.

Last edited by DCF; Dec 26, 2014 at 5:26 am
Old Dec 26, 2014, 5:28 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Rates change according to availability, public holidays and a range of other factors.

Sometime rates go up, sometimes they go down. If you booked a flexible rate you could have changed it, but you agreed to that amount with no changes allowed. Has you not prebooked, the hotel may have sold out and you may not have had a room at all.

As above you got a great rate.

Personally, I wouldn't be consumed by rage over $58. Forget it and enjoy your vacation.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
You received what you agreed to receive, and paid what you agreed to pay, in a transaction that you were free to accept or decline and freely chose to accept.

Stuff happens. Move along.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by jenniffer11004
I reserved a room for 2nights at this hotel for two weeks ago with prepaid rate.
I realized that the price is changed to cheaper 28AUD per day on 2 prior day which I have to check in. Amount were 56AUD.
I was very angry and unpleasent. I can't understand this situation.
Normaly, the price is more and more expensive. So we are reserve early for low price. But this situation is wrong. I was fool.
Of course I reserved it at spg.com with 140AUD per day.
And changed price is 112AUD on spg.com
I claimed this already to spg.com and hotel.
Spg said " It depends on hotel. hotel's step will adjust it"
Hotel said " I'm not control. but I will talk to manager and then we will refund you 56AUD"
But next day, they said " it was prepaid rate, no adjust and not refund"
I thought it is cheating.
We never purchase the room of the four points by sheraton SYDNEY with advanced rate. I'm very unpleasent

The highlighted sums up the entire situation. You paid for and received what you booked.

I doubt we'll hear back from this forumer, but in the case we do. Use this as a learning moment. Stick around this FlyerTalk & the SPG forum and learn about SPG program.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 11:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
The highlighted sums up the entire situation. You paid for and received what you booked.

I doubt we'll hear back from this forumer, but in the case we do. Use this as a learning moment. Stick around this FlyerTalk & the SPG forum and learn about SPG program.
I take it that our OP never buys an advanced airline tkt, 1 of my tkts went down by $140 4 days after I purchased it my loss, some others went up.

Cant ever recall where an airline or car rental or hotel guarantees that the price(rate) you see will be the lowest.

Im sure the OP would be bashing the hotel if say the rate went up by $56 and the hotel now wanted the OP to pay up the difference. So OP if I understand you correctly you think once you reserve and pay for a non-refundable res that if the rate goes up you dont have to pay any more but if it goes down you should get a refund
Old Dec 26, 2014, 11:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by craz
I take it that our OP never buys an advanced airline tkt, 1 of my tkts went down by $140 4 days after I purchased it my loss, some others went up.

Cant ever recall where an airline or car rental or hotel guarantees that the price(rate) you see will be the lowest.

Im sure the OP would be bashing the hotel if say the rate went up by $56 and the hotel now wanted the OP to pay up the difference. So OP if I understand you correctly you think once you reserve and pay for a non-refundable res that if the rate goes up you dont have to pay any more but if it goes down you should get a refund
Bingo! Excellent post and I completely agree.

We've had this conversation in the past. How many people would be upset and call to pay the difference when the fare increases?
Old Dec 26, 2014, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I was very angry and unpleasent. ..
...I'm very unpleasent

That just sums it up, doesn't it?

You go to supermarket and buy smoked salmon for $25. Then a week later, the same goes on sale for $15. What are you going to do ? Bring your salmon back and ask for cheaper price?

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Dec 26, 2014 at 11:10 pm
Old Dec 26, 2014, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

It's my fault....
Old Dec 26, 2014, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Welcome back. Stick around and contribute to the forum.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 3:48 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
OP, this forum exists so we can share what we have learned.

You are very welcome here!
Old Dec 26, 2014, 8:53 pm

It's my fault....
Welcome!

No. It isn't anyone's "fault".

But you need to learn from this.

That pre-booking doesn't always mean the cheapest price. With airlines. With cars. And especially with hotels.

That's why some people book a rate that can be cancelled. Even if it costs a little bit more. Because then you can change your mind if a better rate comes along.

Also, if you travel a lot and use the same hotels a lot, you might want to keep track of the prices. That way you will know what is considered a "good rate" and what is not.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You can even use a service on www.yapta.com that will email you when the price decreases.

So book flexible and wait for a price change. Unless you really want a specific hotel, track a few for the dates you need...
Old Dec 27, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
That's why some people book a rate that can be cancelled. Even if it costs a little bit more. Because then you can change your mind if a better rate comes along.
That's what I do. Unless nonrefundable is MUCH lower, I'll book refundable and then grab nonrefundable (if it's cheaper) at the last minute.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
It's my fault....
No worries, we were all new here once, and we have all learned a lot by spending time on this forum. Hopefully you will too, and we will see more posts from you. Enjoy your holiday and welcome to flyertalk! ^

btw, to those pointing out the OP's 'I was very unpleasant' verbiage, I'd bet english isn't the OP's mother tongue. Chinese, perhaps?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.