Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Can you transfer points to another person? (2006 onward) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: Can you transfer points to another person? (2006 onward) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2008, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
I don't think that is what soitgoes is referring to. This should be what he meant.
Exactly. Thanks.
If one is a Platinum, for example, who wanted to transfer points to top up slightly or just to generate activity on a spouse's FF accounts, then the different minimum transfer amounts could make that harder.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 8:53 am

How can we transfer SPG points from one person account to another with same address. Can it be done online, or do we need to call Customer service to do that.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 9:08 am

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by easygoing77
How can we transfer SPG points from one person account to another with same address. Can it be done online, or do we need to call Customer service to do that.
Need to call
Old May 15, 2008, 5:48 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
transfer points?

Is it possible to transfer points from one SPG account to another? Is it just relatives? I looked for this in FAQ and stickies and could not find anything.
Thanks.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; May 15, 2008 at 6:41 pm Reason: Merged unedited into newly created master thread
Old May 15, 2008, 5:50 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by thebat
Is it possible to transfer points from one SPG account to another? Is it just relatives? I looked for this in FAQ and stickies and could not find anything.
Thanks.
An internal transfer can be done to an account for anyone that lives at the same mailing address as yours. You have to call the Customer Contact Center to affect such a transfer.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old May 15, 2008, 6:24 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Thank you for the prompt reply.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 3:46 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
William, sorry to bump up an old thread. My husband does not yet have an SPG account but he can set a new one up online. What we need to do is transfer 20,000 points from my account to his and then from his account to AA so we can both get the same award tickets. We would both be transferring 20,000 SPG to get the 5000 point bonus and get 25,000 in our respective AA accounts.

Is this allowed? We have the same last name and live at the same address.

Is there a charge to do this transfer?

How long does it take?

Can Aussie SPG do this or do we need to call the USA?

I just noticed one more thing. My Starwood account is (example) Jane C. Smith. My AA account is Mrs Jane Smith. Would the middle intial on the Starwood account cause a problem? If the transfers are done by humans, they would see it is the same person but if it is done by a computer matching program, the middle intial is a worry. I just went to my SPG account and I can't get rid of it either.

Last edited by Tiki; Sep 24, 2008 at 4:31 am
Old Sep 24, 2008, 8:59 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Tiki, I'm not William but I do know most of the answers.
Yes, U can transfer into your husband's new *wood acct. fee-free. All U need is the same home address on both acct.s. MAYBE (IIRC) it can be done online without phoning.
Of course, I recommend that U also check out FT's own Coupon Connection first .

I don't know about the middle-initial issue. I had a problem transferring another program into AA because of such a thing. Maybe U can add yours to your AAcount.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Tiki
William, sorry to bump up an old thread. My husband does not yet have an SPG account but he can set a new one up online. What we need to do is transfer 20,000 points from my account to his and then from his account to AA so we can both get the same award tickets. We would both be transferring 20,000 SPG to get the 5000 point bonus and get 25,000 in our respective AA accounts.

Is this allowed? We have the same last name and live at the same address.
Yes.

Is there a charge to do this transfer?
No.

How long does it take?
Up to 15 days for a domestic airline. 30 for an international carrier. Longer, if something goes amiss.

Can Aussie SPG do this or do we need to call the USA?
Call whatever redemption center you call normally.

I just noticed one more thing. My Starwood account is (example) Jane C. Smith. My AA account is Mrs Jane Smith. Would the middle intial on the Starwood account cause a problem? If the transfers are done by humans, they would see it is the same person but if it is done by a computer matching program, the middle intial is a worry. I just went to my SPG account and I can't get rid of it either.
I wouldn't take the chance because it is definitely not a human being reading these things and I'm not familiar with American Airlines AAdvantage proprietary systems and whether or not they read the initial on our transfers. I would ask SPG to remove the middle initial. If they say they cannot change anything in regard to the name on your account, follow whatever directions they offer to get this done when you call to make the transfer.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Sep 24, 2008, 1:15 pm

Thanks William. I don't want my points to end up in limbo so I will get the middle intial removed. My incoming transfers from Amex MR are going through OK and Amex doesn't have a middle initial either. At the time I set up the SPG account I wasn't thinking in terms of transferring points to AA, I was just going to use them for hotels so I didn't check on this before.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Tiki
Thanks William. I don't want my points to end up in limbo so I will get the middle intial removed. My incoming transfers from Amex MR are going through OK and Amex doesn't have a middle initial either. At the time I set up the SPG account I wasn't thinking in terms of transferring points to AA, I was just going to use them for hotels so I didn't check on this before.
I understand, but I think it is wise to take this precaution. We just don't know if American Airlines AAdvantage's system is set up to ignore the middle initial or not.

Good luck and speed on the transfers.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Sep 24, 2008, 3:50 pm

You could also just transfer 40,000 points to your own account (getting 50,0000 AA FF miles deposited) and then make a reservation for 2 award seats from your AA.com login. There is no particular need to put the points in your husband's AA account unless you want some activity in it. I routinely reserve several award seats for my family from a single AA.com login. An advantage of doing this is that the reservations are on a single record locator and if anything needs changing it is easier than having to look up two separate reservations. It is also easier to change seat assignments and the like if you can view both of your assignments at the same time.

Another benefit: You work on the reservation for two tickets at once. You don't want to reserve one ticket under one account only to find that it was the last one and you can't make another reservation under the other account.

Last edited by emuyshondt; Sep 24, 2008 at 4:10 pm
Old Sep 24, 2008, 3:50 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
My experience with the name match says it probably is last name and first initial at most, but better follow William's advice.

My SPG account has

first-name lastname

Transferred to LH (firstname lastname) and AA (first-name MI lastname), and there was no issue with either transfer.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by emuyshondt
You could also just transfer 40,000 points to your own account (getting 50,0000 AA FF miles deposited) and then make a reservation for 2 award seats from your AA.com login. There is no particular need to put the points in your husband's AA account unless you want some activity in it. I routinely reserve several award seats for my family from a single AA.com login. An advantage of doing this is that the reservations are on a single record locator and if anything needs changing it is easier than having to look up two separate reservations. It is also easier to change seat assignments and the like if you can view both of your assignments at the same time.

Another benefit: You work on the reservation for two tickets at once. You don't want to reserve one ticket under one account only to find that it was the last one and you can't make another reservation under the other account.
I would if I could but the award we are going for is 75,000 miles. We will have about 50,000 each from flying last year and this year so we need roughly 25,000 in each of our accounts to get the 75,000 awards.

I won't have all the SPG points until Nov when we visit the USA, expecting close to 5000 because of the Q4 promo!
Old Feb 9, 2009, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
How do I transfer points from my hubby's SPG acct into mine?

Can this be done online?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Feb 10, 2009 at 10:10 am Reason: Merged into master thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.