Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meredien Bev Hills vs. W Westwood?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2006, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
Le Meredien Bev Hills vs. W Westwood?

Am interested in everyone's thoughts on these 2 hotels in LA - we're heading down to LA for the 4th of July weekend, and my wife and I have never been to LA. Doing the coast, Disney, etc., but which of these would you recommend for a Sat night in LA, looking to go out, nice bars, restaurant, etc?

Thanks!
Old May 23, 2006, 10:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
This probably isn't the most helpful to you since you must want a Starwood hotel, but the Beverly Hilton is the place to be in LA for the price. You get brand new everything, every room with a 42 inch plasma TV in an authentic "Hollywood" kind of setting.

Check out tripadvisor.com for reviews to see what I mean. Virtually everything recent is top notch.
Old May 23, 2006, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've had unpleasant experiences at both hotels. The Le Meridien has a nicer physical plant, but the management and the staff (except for a few bellmen) are indifferent and far more concerned with maximizing revenue the keeping customers happy (in violation of Starwood policy, they put us in a room directly under one in which construction was on-going all day). The Westwood W was the noisiest hotel I've ever stayed in (I had to threaten management with calling the police before they did anything), with a typical "W" physical plant, i.e. loud, cheap carpet over an old shell. I wound up being compensated with points for each stay, but I'd be very reluctant to stay at either hotel again.
Old May 23, 2006, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Depends on your idea of fun.

W is in Westwood - near UCLA campus. Residential area, with a short walk to places that attract a college/grad student crowd plus locals. (Tengu - good sushi a short walk away from W - my choice if you stay there) I'm too old for the college bar scene (well, at least, if I'm with my wife!), so I can't speak to that.

LeM BH is in the "Beverly Hills Flats". It's a very busy street, near the Beverly Center mall. Morton's is in the building; Matsuhisa up the street; Sushi Roku (even younger & hipper eye candy than @ Tengu) is not far too. I like the asian-influenced rooms @ this property -- from its Nikko days -- and the large size too. Can't speak to the service - my folks stayed there a few years ago, and it took my mother 2 days to complain, which for her is a day longer than usual.

PM me if you go w/the LeMeridien - it's not far from home...
Old Sep 21, 2006, 1:36 pm

Programs: CO Plat. SPG Plat
I too am contemplating a stay either at LM Bev Hills or W Westwood last weekend in Oct. Can someone (CO FF help me out):

Arriving Friday p.m.

Attending a concert in Santa Barbara Sat night so drive time and convenience from either property to SB is important (staying on points and I believe these 2 properties are the best logistical SW choices). I know neither are close to SB, but I'm working with the best I can. (Sheraton Universal City is not my preferene so that one's out).

Other priorities:
Nice pool since Sat during day and Sun I'll want to veg, lay out, eat drink at the pool and just generally enjoy life's fabulousness...
Gym of the two?
I've stayed in many W(s), and generally appreciate the decor and service, but too laid back to sweat the minor stuff, i.e. hip is nice but not required. Never stayed in a Le Med but I assume the BH property is generally fine.
Long time Plat who always appreciates an upgrade.
Cool restaurants w/i walking distance would be an added plus.

Thanks guys. Most important - access to Santa Barbara drive.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by iah-plat
I too am contemplating a stay either at LM Bev Hills or W Westwood last weekend in Oct. Can someone (CO FF help me out):

Arriving Friday p.m.

Thanks guys. Most important - access to Santa Barbara drive.
IAH - I don't know if you like 4 Pts or not, but there is one in Ventura Harbor, just south of Santa Barbara. That should cut your drive down significantly! You could stay there the night of your concert, then roll into the city the next day to hit the hip W pool. It is very nice. We stayed at the W in Westwood, and were treated great. Scored a nice Plat upgrade, and did go to the sushi place (Tengu) that CO FF recommended. Food was very fresh, and there was a film festival going on that weekend, so the vibe in Westwood was good.

BTW, I checked the last Fri in Oct, and there are $109 AAA rates, and $104 govt rates...
Old Sep 21, 2006, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
I stayed at the Le Meridien on a relocation housing trip last month. It was okay, but not outstanding. Location was decent for shopping/eating as it is close to a mall and a fair amount of restaurants, but there are definitely better.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 4:22 pm

my fresh take on both

I stayed at both over the past week.

Both are close to plenty of things to do and explore (I prefer Westwood Village over BH, as it's younger, fresher, and more authentic...)

Both hotels were good and acceptable; no major gripes with either.

The W was noisy, even up on the 14th floor. I had little interaction with the staff. The crowd at the W was younger and hipper, if that matters. However, many seemed to be pretending to be hip, rather than actually hip. Also, expect a lot of young people up late and drinking and not caring that people are sleeping. On that note, the bed at the W was excellent. Bring earplugs.

Le Meridien seemed to have an (much like BH is generally) older crowd and was a little more relaxing and mellow overall. It was quiet in my room - I was in an inside/garden room, however. The staff was attentive and helpful. The room was good-sized and well appointed, and I enjoyed the Asian feel. My room at Le Meridien was definitely larger and nicer than my W room (large work area, big bathroom with a deep tub, etc.), but I think I got a small upgrade here, while not at the W. The bartenders were friendly and mixed great drinks.

Speaking of sushi, I went to nearby Cafe Sushi on a friend's recommendation last night (near Le Meridien, on Beverly Blvd, 1 block east of La Cienega) and it was very good. Ask for Mitsu if you sit at the sushi bar. He was great. They had some melt-in-your-mouth maguro.

If you decide on Le Meridien but still want to see/explore a youngish hipster scene, try to get into Koi in West Hollywood - it's just a few blocks away - good drinks, great food, and populated with reasonably cool and interesting folk.

If you decide on the W, go down into Westwood Village for many fine dining and shopping and exploring options. Get to Diddy's (?) before midnight to get a really yummy cookie and ice cream sandwich for $1.

Good luck...

Last edited by Maine2LA; Sep 21, 2006 at 4:41 pm
Old Sep 21, 2006, 7:06 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I love W's and I stayed at the W Westwood about a month ago...and let me tell you, it was NOISY. The UCLA Med Center Hellicopters are right outside at all hours, a loud church bell is only slient about 8-10 hours a day, and for this you get to pay $300 a night or so. When I brought this up to the manager, I was told only that I should ask them next time for a "quieter room". This hotel was NOT what I expected from a W...

Originally Posted by acitrano
I stayed at both over the past week.

Both are close to plenty of things to do and explore (I prefer Westwood Village over BH, as it's younger, fresher, and more authentic...)

Both hotels were good and acceptable; no major gripes with either.

The W was noisy, even up on the 14th floor. I had little interaction with the staff. The crowd at the W was younger and hipper, if that matters. However, many seemed to be pretending to be hip, rather than actually hip. Also, expect a lot of young people up late and drinking and not caring that people are sleeping. On that note, the bed at the W was excellent. Bring earplugs.

Le Meridien seemed to have an (much like BH is generally) older crowd and was a little more relaxing and mellow overall. It was quiet in my room - I was in an inside/garden room, however. The staff was attentive and helpful. The room was good-sized and well appointed, and I enjoyed the Asian feel. My room at Le Meridien was definitely larger and nicer than my W room (large work area, big bathroom with a deep tub, etc.), but I think I got a small upgrade here, while not at the W. The bartenders were friendly and mixed great drinks.

Speaking of sushi, I went to nearby Cafe Sushi on a friend's recommendation last night (near Le Meridien, on Beverly Blvd, 1 block east of La Cienega) and it was very good. Ask for Mitsu if you sit at the sushi bar. He was great. They had some melt-in-your-mouth maguro.

If you decide on Le Meridien but still want to see/explore a youngish hipster scene, try to get into Koi in West Hollywood - it's just a few blocks away - good drinks, great food, and populated with reasonably cool and interesting folk.

If you decide on the W, go down into Westwood Village for many fine dining and shopping and exploring options. Get to Diddy's (?) before midnight to get a really yummy cookie and ice cream sandwich for $1.

Good luck...
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:48 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Stayed at LeM BH in a suite and it had the most comfortable bed that I've had at a Starwood. Three notches up from the Heavenly bed (good bed linens, probably 300 TC so not that special and not Frette but worked well; the towels were OK but nowhere near that quality). Room furnishings were adequate and functional (nice big desk with silent fax machine) but not eye-poppling. Bathroom was OK but disappointing despite a separate shower and tub. Heard a rumour that this hotel is shutting down within a year for a complete gut and rebuild (with larger room sizes -- they are already large). To reopen as a boutique hotel and not a Starwood. That might explain a gradual rundown of the property in the past few years.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:47 am

Los Angeles: W Westwood or Le Meridien?

Hello FT compadres,

Will be in LA for a three nights in mid-November (Sun-Wed). Want to use one of my free weekend night certs and then the other two nights either with all points or a combination of 1 night points and 1 night paid (depending on the rate I can get).

Anyone have thoughts on location, upgrade potential, general vibe, etc? I generally like Ws, thought not for the bar action (the colleague I'll be staying with is clean and sober so heavy drinking is not a priority). Have never stayed at a LM.

Also, does anyone have any experience with parking at either of these hotels? Is street (free or metered?) parking available? Or are there lower cost lots nearby?

As a sidenote... I have also heard 3rd-hand that the Beverly Hilton is really nice and I have a chunk of HH points I could use, but I guess I would rather not splurge 40K HH points per night if at all possible. However, if anyone out there thinks the Beverly Hilton is absolutely worth it and/or significantly preferable to either of these SPG options, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thanks!
Tanner
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by tannerrox
Hello FT compadres,

Will be in LA for a three nights in mid-November (Sun-Wed). Want to use one of my free weekend night certs and then the other two nights either with all points or a combination of 1 night points and 1 night paid (depending on the rate I can get).

Anyone have thoughts on location, upgrade potential, general vibe, etc? I generally like Ws, thought not for the bar action (the colleague I'll be staying with is clean and sober so heavy drinking is not a priority). Have never stayed at a LM.

Also, does anyone have any experience with parking at either of these hotels? Is street (free or metered?) parking available? Or are there lower cost lots nearby?

I stayed at the W Westwood a few weeks ago and I started this thread about the experience.

If you're planning to stay over a weekend and you don't like the bar scene, as you mentioned, I think you would probably prefer Le Méridien. I found the W to be relatively clean, but I have since learned that it's scheduled for a much needed major renovation in the next few months. I stayed in a Penthouse Suite and found it to be in pretty rough shape.

Parking is about $30 a day and not set up particularly well. There is a narrow driveway and nowhere for the valets to park cars while people load and unload, so if it's busy at all, you will find yourself waiting for people to get out of the way before the valets can even retrieve your car.

I hope that helps.

BTW, this recent thread is on this exact same topic

Last edited by tjk1976; Oct 18, 2006 at 12:25 pm
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by tjk1976
BTW, this recent thread is on this exact same topic
Whoops, duh! I guess I missed that one. Sorry for the duplication guys. I appreciate your input, tjk1976, and I'm glad you finally got things worked out at the W.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 10:05 pm

Looking to spend NYE in LA area, so far I'm leaning towards W, however, since it's a five-night trip, I'm a little concerned about the noise level at the W (NYE obviously not being one of the nights I'm concerned about). Any other choices in LA area provides a better balance of fun/hip on NYE, while still give the quietness of a non-NYE stay?

First timer in LA here, fwiw.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 2:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Until Starwood gets a property up on the Sunset strip (which is the best overall place to stay here in LA for a tourist), I tell people visiting me who want to burn SPG points to consider the Sheraton Delfina in Santa Monica. Visiting LA (especially for the first time) you will either a) stay inland and spend half of your time driving to the beach to see Venice, Mailbu, the Getty, etc or b) stay at the beach and spend half your time driving inland to see Hollywood, Beverly Hills, etc. Similar to 4th of July, New Year's fireworks are at the ocean (i.e. the Marina) -- though the parties will be more towards Hollywood.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.