Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Stuttgart, Germany [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Stuttgart, Germany [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2010, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by tillephone
well... LM Stuttgart is also not giving upgrades to Plats when they should... so they probably won't care to much about a change in the T&Cs.
But they know they can get away with that because it's the only decent hotel in Stuttgart (plus the only one where you can collect your Starpoints).

Starwood should just open up a W in Stuttgart. Problem solved (as long as the LM Stuttgart GM doesn't run it ;-) )

just my $0.02
They are not the only good hotel but the only good international chain hotel. No Hilton, no InterConti in the heart of town. And seriously: This hotel is no longer "decent" but in urgent need of renovation, however pretty expensive.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 3:19 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
No, LM Stuttgart is pretty strict on this - they make you pay for the minibar when you are upgraded. I brought this to the attention of Starwood Corporate about a year or maybe two ago but they shared the hotel's view.

If you are not upgraded to one of the Junior Suite that upgrade is nothing but a farce. On their German language website it reads:

In English: "The Executive rooms are the same the the Superior Rooms, however, your get the following extra services.." followed by a list of services. And what do they tell you at check-in: "It isch wonderfull to häw you here. We have upgraded you to a wonderful Executive Room". And if you ask for the specific benefits: "No this isch not included when you are upgraded."....
Could you send me the correspondence you got from "Starwood Corporate"? Thanks.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jul 12, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
They are not the only good hotel but the only good international chain hotel. No Hilton, no InterConti in the heart of town. And seriously: This hotel is no longer "decent" but in urgent need of renovation, however pretty expensive.
I do have to say the Hilton Garden Inn Stuttgart is very nice, as a Hilton Diamond I have gotten their Jr. Suite with Pvt sauna, I have always been upgraded (not a publish perk for HGI).. also a nice welcome gift. It is not your mother's Hilton Garden Inn..

Sure there is no lounge, but a nice bar, restaurant and really reasonable prices..

Location is not in the center of the city but in Nerkerpark..

I think the HGI bang for buck is better then the Le Meridien.

The management run it like a full service Hilton.

I do have work in the Nerkerpark area so the location works better for me..
Old Jul 12, 2010, 5:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tillephone
well... LM Stuttgart is also not giving upgrades to Plats when they should... so they probably won't care to much about a change in the T&Cs.
But they know they can get away with that because it's the only decent hotel in Stuttgart (plus the only one where you can collect your Starpoints).

Starwood should just open up a W in Stuttgart. Problem solved (as long as the LM Stuttgart GM doesn't run it ;-) )

just my $0.02
It's been a while since I stayed here but the times I have stayed I've been upgraded to a JR suite most of the times and got lounge access. I have been in a executive room as well and they were quite well maintained. I do agree it is one of only a few decent hotels in town. (Novotel is pretty good don't know about the Hilton)

I do know at least one of the front desk agent follows Flyertalk as we spoke a little about it and he said he was a Lurker here. So if you are here, please come forward and share your views with us! ^
Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:11 am

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Renovation already started at the hotel (got an information sheet in my room last tuesday).

By the way: the LM Stuttgart is a former IC Stuttgart
Old Jul 15, 2010, 3:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by Andie007
Renovation already started at the hotel (got an information sheet in my room last tuesday).
Property has Starpicks rates available at the moment..., Euro 110 for some dates.

Speaking of renovations, the Steigenberger Graf Zeppelin a stone throw away is also undergoing a Euro ~ 20 million renovation.

Generally, both properties are overpriced and not really worth recommending.

If you do not need the stay credit, I recommend opting for other hotels in town and use the savings for a nice dinner in town
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:25 am

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
I contacted SPG Corp about this hotel not allowing Platinum members access to the lounge. I was contacted by the hotel via email admitting by policy they "do not allow" platinum members access because they get to many.. here is the email i got from the Hotel:

Dear Mr. XXX,

I hope this email finds you well. Thank you very much for staying in LeMeridien Stuttgart and for the feedback concerning the Lounge access.

I have talked to the Front Office staff, that was working that day, and the told me, that you received the Lounge access.

Unfortunately, you didn’t receive it automatically and you had to ask for that. I apologize for the inconvenience.

As written in TripAdvisor, the Executive Club Privileges are part of the SPG benefits. Due to the fact, that we have in the mid-week about 60 – 80 Platinum members staying in our hotel, we decided not to give them free access. I think you saw the lounge, and it’s a small lounge, which will be crowded if all SPG Platinum members are staying inside.

For you Mr. XXXX, we do make an exception, and I put a Profile Note, that you will get the free access in our Lounge, whenever you are staying in Le Meridien Stuttgart.

Once again, I apologize for the reaction of the front desk staff, and we will train them again in the SPG benefits, so that they give the free access to Platinum members like you, who are not regular guests in Le Meridien Stuttgart, but are regular guests in the Starwood group.

Let me thank you again for your loyalty as a Platinum SPG guest and I looking forward to welcome you again in Stuttgart.

Mr. XXXXX, I wish you all the best and I hope you had a pleasant trip back to the United States.

Best regards

XXXXX XXXXX Front Desk Manager
I get that the hotel can limit access when they have high demand, but should it be a policy to block all Platinum's all the time? Here is my response to the hotel.. 5 days later no reply back..

Thanks for your email, it is true that I did receive the lounge access after I had to prove that I should have access to it.. Please understand the staff handled it in a very professional matter, but it was clear to me that they were following hotel policy. When I first checked in to the hotel I asked about the lounge and was told, "we do not give a lounge for Platinum guest". I was a guest on a Sunday night and true the lounge is small but I did not see many people using the lounge at all. I can understand on a mid week stay this would be a problem, but the staff acted like no lounge at no time no matter the occupancy for Platinum, and I was told "you have to pay for that at this hotel" I had to go to my room get my computer and show the staff what someone from the hotel posted online. I think it is very misleading that the hotel would post that Platinum should always get access at your hotel, but you tell me via email that they will not. The other misleading thing is when I was upgraded to the Jr. Suite it stated on my reservation I would have free mini-bar, access to the lounge, and other benefits that go along with that room type. The morning of check in I printed my booking and noticed that I was already upgraded to an executive room, it the room description listed the free mini bar, access to lounge and free internet. From what the staff told me, you do not get that when you are upgraded.. So from what I read on your web page that is the only difference between a standard room and executive room, the free mini bar and access to lounge and you will be on a higher floor, so if you do not get that when upgraded that is not much of an upgrade. I have been to many SPG hotels around the world and I have run into Hotels with small lounges that do have to limit the access from time to time to the lounge, but when this happens to me, I have ALWAYS gotten some other amenity, like a voucher to "happy hour" at the bar this gave me free soft drinks and selected alcoholic drinks from 5-7pm per day. I do have to say that was the best alternative to the lounge I would say that the average alternative has been a bottle of wine in the room. I do understand that according to SPG policy a hotel can limit access due to demand, but I have come to the conclusion that at the LeMeridien Stuttgart this is a hotel policy no matter what day of the week it is or how many people are in the hotel. This is based off my experience and reviews online from many other guest.

I travel a lot and I really depend on my status at the 3 brands that I hold top tier status with, SPG, Hilton, and Hyatt. When there is more then one hotel in a city or even for that matter in a reasonable distance I will always pick the hotel with a lounge, it is a very important benefit to me. When I book a hotel and at times pay more because they have a lounge and I know with my status I will have access it leaves a very very bad impression on me when I do not get the benefits that I have earned and expect. I have also never experienced a lounge at any SPG hotel without some type of Morning service, a basic continental breakfast is what I have come to expect, I'm very happy my room rate had the breakfast included. Sure some SPG hotels do not have a service set up in the lounge in the Morning, but give access to the restaurant to eat regardless if it was an upgrade or not..

Over all I feel like Platinum's have become common place to your hotel, as you say you have 60-80 per week, and it appears that it is common for very weak elite benefits because of this.

I do thank you for your jester to grant me access to the lounge anytime I stay at your hotel, however I believe that I should have already earned that privilege by earning SPG Platinum status, not by calling SPG corporate and filing a report with them.

Thanks for your time
SPG Lurkers? do you think this policy of not allowing Platinum access all the time is in line with SPG policy? Also charging people for items when upgraded like free mini bar when it is clearly marked as a perk of the "upgraded" room type?
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by little_dc
...SPG Lurkers? do you think this policy of not allowing Platinum access all the time is in line with SPG policy? Also charging people for items when upgraded like free mini bar when it is clearly marked as a perk of the "upgraded" room type?
"No" to both questions. However, if the lounge is full, they can restrict access as they see fit and still be within SPG T&C's.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jul 21, 2010, 3:42 pm

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Back to the topics:

I have there at the end of the month a stay. If I get an upgrade, all in the upgrade included amenities / extras are included and I get lounge access ( weekend stay ) if not overcrowded?!
Old Jul 22, 2010, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
FWIW - When I go to Stuttgart, I forgo the points and stay credit (which are normally important to me as a base level member trying to achieve Gold) and stay at Hotel am Schlossgarten. Sure, the room decor is echt-traditional to a fault, but that old decor is very well-maintained, bedding is comfortable, bathrooms are nice, etc. More importantly, the staff and service are superb, (service delivered with genuine warmth), and the food is excellent and (relatively) reasonably priced. The walk from the Hbf (across the street) could not be easier, via an underground walkway.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:21 am
Community Director Emerita

I just moved a number of posts to this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...t-germany.html

Let's keep this thread for the purpose of describing the hotel and the stay experience.

/mod
Old Jul 24, 2010, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
"No" to both questions. However, if the lounge is full, they can restrict access as they see fit and still be within SPG T&C's.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

This thread is very interesting. I remember that I was also denied lounge access and the in-room ameneties (i.e. the free minibar) which come with the room.

I was thinking about a new stay at this hotel in a few weeks. What would you suggest me to do if they do still not follow the SPG policies (ie.g. lounge access and in-room ameneties)?
Old Jul 24, 2010, 6:34 pm

Programs: Lifetime Levels in AA & Marriott
And seriously: This hotel is no longer "decent" but in urgent need of renovation, however pretty expensive.
I respectfully disagree. I spent a week there this past April/May (actually had two rooms reserved and occupied), ate in the restaurant and in the bar area several times, used the underground parking, and everything was clean and in working condition. Rooms were small, but not tiny; had all the features/amenities and a "streamline" design (built-in closet space for instance). Did not use/see the meeting spaces.

My only feedback was the lobby: it (the lobby) should be more readily accessible from the outside second floor (area one arrives at once across the bridge from the park) instead of having to go down the steep outside staircase and then inside.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer
...What would you suggest me to do if they do still not follow the SPG policies (ie.g. lounge access and in-room ameneties)?
File a formal complaint with Corporate Customer Service. [email protected]

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:48 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold, LH Senator, …
Originally Posted by little_dc
I do have to say the Hilton Garden Inn Stuttgart is very nice, as a Hilton Diamond I have gotten their Jr. Suite with Pvt sauna, I have always been upgraded (not a publish perk for HGI).. also a nice welcome gift. It is not your mother's Hilton Garden Inn..

Sure there is no lounge, but a nice bar, restaurant and really reasonable prices..

Location is not in the center of the city but in Nerkerpark..

I think the HGI bang for buck is better then the Le Meridien.

The management run it like a full service Hilton.

I do have work in the Nerkerpark area so the location works better for me..
Are you serious? I stay there about 70 nights a year as a diamond and have never been upgraded to a suite. Tonight I did not even get a king bed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.