Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin LAX [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2005, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat - AW Plat - AA Gold - SPG Plat - HH Gold - HY Gold - WBR - Alpha Phi Omega - GO CANES!
Arrow Westin LAX [Master Thread]

I've been keeping close tabs on the Westin LAX because I stay here A LOT. I have made several observations and they're not good. For those of you out there in internetland, you may remember that everyone said this hotel sucks. It USED to. Then they got a new Director of Rooms, named Michael. He cleaned this place up in record time, and got it back on track to being a Westin.

I guess someone thought his job was done and he moved on to Palm Springs. Incidentally, I think this guy is the single best asset of Starwood, but that's besides the point. More recently, they let a front desk supervisor change hotels. His name is Aart. Aart was one of the best workers I have encountered at a Starwood. He has moved to the Sheraton Amsterdam Airport, and has the same title. So basically, the Westin LAX is systematically letting their best people go!

I am sitting in my room this week and I have a list of observations that indicate that this property is headed back down:

1. I checked in on Saturday night (EARLY Sunday morning). The escalator up from the lobby to the meeting room floor was out of order. Today is Wednesday, and it is still out of order. This is FIVE DAYS! I guess nobody seems to care.

2. The elevator bank on one of the floors is not working properly. When you press a button, the light lights up but as soon as you take your finger off, it goes out. The only way to summon an elevator is to stand there like the little Dutch boy with his finger in the dyke. If you don't hold it, the elevator never shows. I called the front desk about it on Sunday, and then I called them again on Wednesday, and it is STILL not fixed.

3. They put holds on two of my cards for almost $2000 each for an 8 day stay. Nobody knew anything about it.

4. On Sunday, I had to call housekeeping at 9pm to ask if they had plans to service my room or if they were on vacation. I pointed out that they have a checklist of which rooms have been cleaned and which need to be cleaned, and that they should not punish the guest because their staff was too lazy to walk down the hall to check. Perhaps their staff had a problem with the elevators?

5. On Monday, I once again had to call housekeeping to ask why the room had not been cleaned. Nobody knew anything.

6. The pool is under renovations. They are offering people use of the Sheraton pool about a mile and a half down the street. I do not know how they expect people to get there and back while dripping wet, but I guess that's a good option if you have to swim.

7. I just saw two men in full suits with ties and nametags sweeping the parking deck with brooms. This is nice. Everyone likes a clean parking deck. However, I would say that they may be better off not using their suits to clean the deck and instead using housekeepers, which may be cheaper.

8. The internet in the hotel is still painfully slow. They know it, and refuse to do anything about it. If you charge for high speed internet, it needs to be high speed.

Let's see what the future has in store!
Old Dec 21, 2005, 9:26 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Very sorry to see the litany of problems. But an easy solution appears:

Follow issue #6 and take all your possessions to the location of the alternate swimming facility. Check into that property, check out of the one you're in and issues 1-5 and 7-XXX should not recur. I did it several years ago and haven't looked back except when I fly or taxi past it to/from LAX Rwy 25L.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 9:59 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Thanks for the update.
Starwood seems to have little or no interest in working on the problems at all or they would have some 1,000 complaints ago.
Many of us have tried to say the property is simply failing in places.
A few points are tossed out when issues are hard pressed but the corrective action seems to elude all parties for some significant time.

There are some nice folks that work at the property but there seems to be a bigger problem.
My guess it may be in part to cost cutting and a lack of upkeep.
If I am not incorrect the property may have broken all records for the most complained about on FT.And you must admit that demands special recognition
Not an easy accomplishment.It takes serious effort

Any way for the kind moderator to consolidate this thread into
the former Westin LAX thread(s) ??
Nice to keep the ongoing progress in one main thread
Happy Holidays all

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Dec 22, 2005 at 7:45 am
Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:25 pm

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
I would have to say this was the worst Westin I have ever stayed in. The carpet, armchair, and bedspread in the room were dirty and/or stained. The lounge seemed to offer nothing but water, which was often not available. Perhaps this was an issue with the day of the week?

I did like the Gold/Platinum checkin lounge to the right of the lobby and I was pleased that my room was available before noon.

BUT "the little Dutch boy with his finger in the dyke" is hilarious...no disrespect to the OP but I believe the structures which keep the sea out of the Netherlands are in fact called dikes!
Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I'm done with this place as well. I once had to wait over an hour to check in at 1 am, after no shuttle showed for over an hour at the airport, and then when I filed a complaint with corporate services, nobody from the hotel bothered to respond to me or them. This digusted the CS people, and now I'm done with this place also.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat - AW Plat - AA Gold - SPG Plat - HH Gold - HY Gold - WBR - Alpha Phi Omega - GO CANES!
Originally Posted by dankyone
BUT "the little Dutch boy with his finger in the dyke" is hilarious...no disrespect to the OP but I believe the structures which keep the sea out of the Netherlands are in fact called dikes!
My friend, your Dutch boy puts his finger in whatever seawall he wants. As I live in Amsterdam, I find it significantly more comfortable to put my finger in other places.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 4:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
suitcasejockey, your update is very much appreciated... thank you

Not that I really was giving it another chance.. but I will also make sure that I tell all my co-workers that not only is there a lack of improvement but that the place is in a steady state of further decline..

I'm not sure how these are managed beyond the Hotel GM.. but someone above this bumbling idiot must have some say as to either shape up or ship out (of starwood properties)...

to the property and starwood for allowing this and NEVER doing anything about it
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:57 am

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
"I find it significantly more comfortable to put my finger in other places"

I can only imagine...but we need someone to keep the water out of Amsterdam...
Old Dec 22, 2005, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PP
"DITTO" on the above posts about how this property keeps sliding into oblivion. Starwood should just make it a Four Points (no offense 4P )
I stayed there for 12 hours on Dec 2, one of which was wasted having to change rooms because the first one was dirty. The used glass outside the door should have been a big clue. (Yep, it was still there the next morning). I called the front desk from the so-called "lounge" about 10x, but nobody answered so I had to schlep down there... I picked this hotel 'cuz (a) *wood; (b) stayed there before & it was OK for $99 - though the lobby is always super noisy; (c) free internet in the lounge.

Hey, what the ...? No free internet anymore!!! Geez, throw us a bone. Supposedly after you do their on-line survey you get 45 min free. What a joke. I did the survey (maybe they didn't like my bad review?) but didn't get any free surfing time.

Mmm, how 'bout the cold "hot buffet" breakfast at 7 am? That was comped, but only after I complained to the front desk manager at 2 am about some other issues inc. the apathetic staff. She also gave me 3,000 points which tells me that my complaints were not the first she'd heard and probably needed to open up the line for the other guests' (FTers) complaints.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 5:20 pm

Programs: BAEC, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Gold Passport, Tesco clubcard!
I stayed here at Westin LAX from 23 oct to 31 Oct then 4 Nov til 8 Nov.

I think on 4 Nov is when they changed the internet in the executive lounge so it wasnt free. It just changed overnight with no notification. When I asked anyone they just admitted it had changed and said nothing else.

I think you can still use th free wireless in the lobby unless this has changed.... does anyone know if this is still the case. I always used to the use the executive lounge on 12th floor for free internet until they changed it.

I also had problems with the lifts... There are six lifts there and it appeared that only 2 out of the 6 lifts were working. We reported it on the 23rd oct but they were still the same on the 8 October when we left.

There was also a strange smell coimnf from the aircon which we were told that was from the new aircon units that were put in beofre we got there. It did stink and smelt of damp and mould. I believe it was from where it had not been serviced properly. I was told that it would go away and after 12 days of staying there it didnt.

Another thing i wasnt happy about was the parking fees. I think its too expensive fro hotel guests. I know its near the airport but i do think its not fair.

The hotel does look dated and has gone downhill. I always stay here when i am in LA but i think i will be changing my mind now and stay somewhere a little better in future.

What does everyone else think?
Old Dec 23, 2005, 12:01 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
I had the exact opposite experience last week. I stayed there twice. The first time I was upgraded to a regular suite without any fuss. The second time I received a Terrace suite, again without asking for it.

The lounge is bare but its one of the few Westins (at least in CA) with a lounge. I was pretty pissed that the Internet isn't free anymore, although the internet at the gold/plat lounge is free at all times. And truthfully, how many full service hotels have free computers and internet for guests.

Usually the lounge has apples, oranges, and water. Consider that most Marriotts and Hiltons actually close their lounges, its nice to be able to get an apple at 3am without calling room service.

Also, the pool issue isn't fair. Pools have to be remodeled every so often. Doing so in the middle of winter seems like the most logical time. They arranged privileges at the closest Starwood hotel. That's reasonable.

Last edited by clarkef; Dec 23, 2005 at 12:04 am
Old Dec 24, 2005, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Ok it is confirmed. They have replaced the free computer systems in the SPG lounge with two systems (could be the same computers actually) that charge $20 per hour on a credit card.

Dirtbags.

The elevators are fixed, but the escalator has been dead for at least a week now and it's prob not getting fixed over xmas either.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 9:43 am

Programs: BAEC, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Gold Passport, Tesco clubcard!
Originally Posted by suitcasejockey
Ok it is confirmed. They have replaced the free computer systems in the SPG lounge with two systems (could be the same computers actually) that charge $20 per hour on a credit card.

Dirtbags.

The elevators are fixed, but the escalator has been dead for at least a week now and it's prob not getting fixed over xmas either.
The computers in the SPG lounge are brand new, faster Dell Pcs/

I still believe that the computers in the gold / plat lounge should be free but i was told when i checked out that I could have use the laptop in the gold / palt check in area...I then asked them.... what at 3am in the morning and they said ahhhh its not there at that time in the morning.

Things may have changed since november but it doesnt sound like it.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
just another pile on the mountain of reasons to completely avoid this he11 ho1e

Originally Posted by suitcasejockey

Dirtbags.

Old Dec 27, 2005, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Why am I the only one who has never had complaints about this property?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.