Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Freddie no more!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2006, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Freddie no more!

This must be the first time in 6 years that Starwood didn't win any Freddie categories! I am really surprised that Marriott won both Americas and EMEA regions. What's the main culprit, Lurker?
Old Apr 28, 2006, 3:00 pm

SPG should know that many of their plats are generally disappointed with the recent lack of promos compared to the past and to other chains and i think this spills over to their ways of voting in all categories...

r

Originally Posted by ktjan
This must be the first time in 6 years that Starwood didn't win any Freddie categories! I am really surprised that Marriott won both Americas and EMEA regions. What's the main culprit, Lurker?
Old Apr 28, 2006, 3:02 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
They did win in some categories. I know I voted against them in all but award redemption. In the previous year I I voted for them. Lately I feel disconnected as I haven't been targeted for any promotions except double stay credit (woo! they broke the bank on that one!) - which really doesn't matter to me. They also got best bonus promotion, guess enough people were targeted for triple points or something (not I). I also feel that the hotels don't live up to the benefits on the back of the card. I sometimes get a club level room, but not as much anymore, and rarely get upgraded to a suite anymore - except at the Aladdin. I think for SPG to get back to the top again they need to re-evaluate their priorities. The only reason SPG gets 50 nights a year from me is the late checkout, better award redemption than other programs, and lounge access with plat. I spend my other 90+ nights with Hilton.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 3:16 pm

Programs: all the big ones.. no LCCs for me
As a plat, I didn't vote for them at all strictly based on this targeted promo thing, I voted MR because they either seem to target me there and or allow pretty much all plats to register for most of their promos. This year, it was the better program. I will say Hyatt was a close 2nd choice for me too, yes ahead of SPG
Old Apr 28, 2006, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by jfulcher
I spend my other 90+ nights with Hilton.
As I understand it, Hilton scored even worse. In any event, the results stump me and are inconsistent with my own experiences/impressions.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 3:24 pm

I voted against Starwood because of the targeted promos. With MR it seems they have a promo everyone can sign up for and as a Platinum I can change the type of promo if my stays or nights equal more points for me in the end. Now that's what I call loyalty!

I am also not impressed with The Best Rate Guarantee... seems like having a a small detail such as late check disqualifies the claim Plus the 10% discount or 2000 points is pretty cheap.

Sorry Starwood
Old Apr 28, 2006, 6:05 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I too am a Plat and voted against SPG. They just arent doing enough to take care of their plat members. They are cutting benifits at every opportunity. After a while you cant help but notice.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 6:20 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Originally Posted by tfong007
I too am a Plat and voted against SPG. They just arent doing enough to take care of their plat members. They are cutting benifits at every opportunity. After a while you cant help but notice.
Same reasoning for me. And I am glad I am not the only one that feels this way and of course the results showed that. I voted for Marriott since they allow anyone who visits their website to register for promos.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by zakami
Same reasoning for me. And I am glad I am not the only one that feels this way and of course the results showed that. I voted for Marriott since they allow anyone who visits their website to register for promos.
Same here.For the first time I did not vote for *Wood.
Marriott as well. Same reason, no targetted promos.

I guess no Post Freddie Plat 25% Award Discount "Thankyou" this year for us plats.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I too voted AGAINST SPG because of the targeted promos that I was not deemed worthy of receiving.

Can't believe I spaced out attending the Freddies: wanted to see my fellow FT'ers and maybe even give SPG folks (minus William if he was there) in attendance a piece of my mind!
Old Apr 28, 2006, 8:19 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I am glad Starwd did not win it - they don't deserve it at all. I am very disappointed with them right now. Our team is forking over (in a year) about $250K to a lousy Sheraton to be near a client.

Anyway, they are treating our SPG Gold members like garbage - no access whatsoever to Club Lounge and we are there for a year - come on. No breakfast coupons either. Yes, I know, technically Golds are not entitled to lounge access - yet we are giving them a lot of business.

We are staying there only becuase it beats the Best Western down the street (the other choice) - and it ticks me off.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
i had a quick look at the freddie awards. While SPG did not win the best customer service apart from Asia, i think what is most significant to me is that SPG did not win in any categories for best elite levels and yes spg has lost in best customer service for the Americas.

we can speculate what really is the cause. we can only hope spg will bother to listen and be more customer friendly.

Moving forward, i think SPG would do well if we could have cheaper rates, more generous promotions and flexible customer service staff. At the prices some of these properties are charging, its a bit ridiculous.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 9:37 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
SPG Plat is ok but

as a SPG Platinum it is OK for me to pay the higher prices in SPGs because i know i am getting upgradet to a suite in 80% of my bookings.

if my status drops down to GOLD there is no incentive to stay in SPG for me , as the prices are higher and the Gold benefits at Hiltons are much better.

I am working to get Platinum for 2008 at this time, but as i am paying normally high room prices (for example with hilton i stay mostly at conrads) not getting the paid money counted toward status with SPG, its diffcult to get platinum the normal way.

dp
Old Apr 28, 2006, 9:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
Anyway, they are treating our SPG Gold members like garbage - no access whatsoever to Club Lounge and we are there for a year - come on.
Maybe I am missing something here - how can one not get Plat when the stay has been a year.

Oh back to the topic - i did not vote for any program either. There must be lots of IHG members that voted for them to get top ranking. But the ranking really smell fishy - Marriott on top??? Marriott do not treat their plats right and they require tooo many points for free nights. Overall, my experience with Marriott is way below that of Starwood or Hyatt.

Check out the IHC forum - they are REALLY excited about getting top Freddie awards. This year's award winners are really smelling fishy...

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Apr 28, 2006 at 9:57 pm
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by derpelikan
I am working to get Platinum for 2008 at this time......
How exactly are you going about that?????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.