London's PARK LANE vs LE MERIDIEN PICCADILLY

Old Apr 3, 06, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

London's PARK LANE vs LE MERIDIEN PICCADILLY

I stayed for one night at LM Piccadilly last year. Although I can't say it's a dump, my room was pretty bad. The first room I was given had an interior window - it looks out into the restaurant below. I asked for a room change and was given a different one when I returned a few hours later.

That was my stay BEFORE I was an SPG Plat.

The best part I like about LM is its location, which is very convenient to all the theatres (my trip to London is primarily to go to the theatres).

Having said that, I would like to try other SPG properties there. Would you guys suggest Park Lane or just stick with LM, hoping they would offer some kind of upgrades?

With SPG promos, I could get rates that are GBP20 cheaper per night in PL than LM.
Old Apr 3, 06, 8:20 pm
tnw

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt
As a plat we have always received a nice upgrade at the Park Lane. The smallest was a junior suite, the rest of the time a full suite. This has happened at least 8 times, never had to ask for an upgrade. However, on our next trip, we are planning a stay at Le Meridien just to see what it is like. Haven't heard too much about upgrades since only one person has posted a report so far.

The hotels are both located on the same street. We have walked many times to the theatres from the Park Lane. (passing the Le Meridien in doin so).

I know alot of people complain about the Park Lane, but this is one plat who has been treated wonderfully there.
Old Apr 3, 06, 9:45 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Broadwayboy,

I have a stay at the Meridien Piccadilly in 4 weeks time... what room class did you book it?

I'm booked in the Executive room.. and I think that's the room picture shown on SPG website for the hotel.

Our Most Luxurious Room.Contemporary Style And Decor.Warm Co Lour Palette.Marble Bathroom.Average Size: 25 Sqm
I notice that there's also the Classic room, followed by the Deluxe, then executive...
Old Apr 4, 06, 7:30 am
Original Poster

I was booked in a classic room (lowest rate) - let's say it's not up to the standards like LM in Hamburg or NYC.

For the dates that I am looking for, SPG.com only offers Classic rooms. I have yet to find deluxe/exec rooms offered on the website.

Originally Posted by ACfly
Broadwayboy,

I have a stay at the Meridien Piccadilly in 4 weeks time... what room class did you book it?

I'm booked in the Executive room.. and I think that's the room picture shown on SPG website for the hotel.

I notice that there's also the Classic room, followed by the Deluxe, then executive...
Old Apr 6, 06, 2:57 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Broadwayboy,

If you use the SPG.com website you will see the various room categories that are available... for the week of May 7th - Classic, deluxe and executive rooms were available when I booked it.

I will report back what the executive rroms look like after my stay on the 7th of May
Old Apr 6, 06, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Meridien Piccadilly is not quite up to par

with the other Sheraton properties in London. I toured it in December (in anticipation of the merger) because it's on my company's list of "legal" hotels. A very accomodating front desk person was kind enough to give me a tour of all 3 types of rooms. I thought the beds were marginal - certainly no Sweet Sleeper/Westin Heavenly bed - and the decor was tired. Rooms weren't huge, and bathrooms were relatively small. The property and the rooms need a facelift.

Location is terrific, though, if you want a lot of nearby activity. It's about 2 minutes from a tube stop, almost across the street from Fortnum & Mason, and a reasonable walk from both Covent Garden, Soho, and Trafalgar Square. Noise didn't seem to be a problem inside the rooms, but that opinion isn't based on an overnight stay in a Picadilly-facing room, so YMMV.
Old Jun 4, 06, 10:01 pm

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Le Meridien Piccadilly

Anyone has recent experience in their (Le Meridien Piccadilly) Deluxe rooms?
Mrs. Chop wants to go just after Christmas. Wonder what to expect in terms of room size, furnishing, etc. We are only Gold.
Thanks!
Old Jun 4, 06, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I adored my stay at Park Lane Sheraton last July! It was a very nice hotel, I got a good deal and my only complaint was the lack of good air conditioning. (I was there on what was, at that point, the hottest day of the year.)

I loved the location- I landed and walked to Harrodd's to buy the new copy of Harry Potter, just released that day and then back to the hotel to sleep. I found the staff eager to please and the room was comfortable and well appointed. I did not care for the European King size beds- they are two twin mattresses in a King bed frame, but that was everywhere I stayed.

I am considering returning next Spring (no air conditioning problems anticipated) and will defintely stay there again. It was so well-located that I never took a cab the whole time I was with them. I did move to Sheraton Belgravia (also a VERY nice hotel, I would say a step up from Park Lane) but the location wasn't as nice.

Also, they're offering points as Platinum ammenities now (for those of us who already have a few replicas of the double-decker bus) and the High Tea in the dining room is wonderful, even though I don't actually drink tea.

I think you'd enjoy Park Lane, but if you're going during hot weather, be prepared for old air units that work at about half capacity. The 1st thing I did when switching to Belgravia was enjoy the two air conditioning units in my junior suite/room- I blasted them until the room was chilly! But, Park Lane did give me a fan so that helped, and as I stated, the location was perfect.

Also, the Skyline Sheraton at Heathrow was very nice for a place to stay before and after flying in and out of the city.

I'm envious- have fun!
Old Jun 5, 06, 12:52 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by choptliva
Anyone has recent experience in their (Le Meridien Piccadilly) Deluxe rooms?
Mrs. Chop wants to go just after Christmas. Wonder what to expect in terms of room size, furnishing, etc. We are only Gold.
Thanks!
I don't know about the Deluxe room, but there is another room type called the Executive Room (I think it was about 20 GBP more), and this room type is the upgraded/renovated room similar to the style of my Junior suite...

See pictures here of the Junior suite to get an idea:
http://public.fotki.com/ACfly/europe...en_piccadilly/
Old Jun 5, 06, 3:20 am

Am thinking of the LM Piccadilly for an xmas visit to London. Read above that the very nice bedroom shown on the website is that of the executive room. If that's so, what does the classic room look like? Same furnishings? And what kind of rooms do Golds get upped to?
Old Jun 5, 06, 4:03 am

ACfly, great pics! ^
Right now I find a comparable rate between the Deluxe room at the Le Meredien and a River View room at the Marriott County Hall. That's why I'm focusing on the Deluxe room at this point. Since I'm just gold, I won't count on any upgrades.
Thanks a bunch.
Old Jun 5, 06, 5:16 pm

I had a great stay at the Sheraton Park Lane this past october as an SPG platinum using points for 2 nights..Got upgraded to a full suite with a view of the park.

We weren't in the hotel too often, so can't comment on the services...for the limited interaction we had, they were fine.

The only complain is that the rooms are a bit dated and the furnitures has a 'tired' look and feel to it...But that is also what gives it a classic look and feel I guess...

The elevators were also small and slow, so during busy mornings, it took awhile to go down..

Best aspect of the hotel is the location....We were able to walk to Buckingham Palace and Big Ben....also walked to the theatre district, and shopping around the Oxford street.....
Drawback of the location is the lack of choices for dinner.....but its close to the Tube that you can get to anywhere..
Old Jun 5, 06, 8:20 pm

Hi everyone, still looking for insights re: Deluxe room at the Le Meridien Piccadilly as Spg gold. Thanks
Old Jun 6, 06, 9:47 am

I was a guest at the LM Piccadilly last year in June. While I had a Moments account, it was at the basic or entry level, however, because my company had a contract with the hotel for a conference, I had been one of the designated staff members to receive an upgraded room. My room, while a little tired, was on the top floor, corner, which included the little round turret that can be seen from the street. All of the windows were round, so it is easy to see from the street. While the room could have used some updating, it was by far one of the coziest rooms I have ever had. By cozy, I don't mean that it was small, it was an ample room, but having the corner turret room made it much more cool.

A coworker of mine also had a suite, which included a living room and the usual other rooms - bedroom and bath. I've seen nicer suites at other hotels, but wondered what the "regular" rooms must have looked like given that we had the better rooms.
Old Jun 6, 06, 8:06 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Sorry, but my memories of the Picadilly will always be special. We spent 45 days on our honeymoon in 1970 doing Frommer's Europe on $5 per day! Spent a total of $1800 for the trip, including airfare and a car for three weeks.

We flew into and out of London on charter airlines. When we got back to London for our return to the states, our luggage was threadbare and was being held together with a rope. Got to the tourist office and had some money left, so we asked for the best hotel in London - keep in mind that until that time, we were spending an average of $7 per night! They sent us to the Picadilly. We had been on a train for 24 hours from Rome to Basle and a plane to London. We got on line (they were all wearing morning jackets - very formal). I can tell you we smelled very bad. I remember the front desk manager looking at us above his reading glasses and telling someone to open a new line and take care of us immediately! He clearly wanted to get us out of the lobby ASAP.

We had the most beautiful room of our vacation with a bath that was the size of a small pool! It was only one night but we'll never forget it. We still laugh thinking about it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: