Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[CLOSED] Sheraton Catania, Sicily, Italy [Converted to a Four Points] [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[CLOSED] Sheraton Catania, Sicily, Italy [Converted to a Four Points] [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2016, 1:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by beckoa
Heading to this property for two nights- starts tomorrow~ sounds like they have a new pool?
Ha I never did follow up.

Yes this is an older property and funky. The elevators operated irregularly and room layouts different. My family booked 2 rooms and ended up with them next to each other (they weren't ready when we initially checked in - took the shuttle bus from downtown after the redeye ferry from Napoli, and they let us use a different room for a 'day room' - I sensed this was not the norm though) The property has access to the ocean under the road via a tunnel, but the water can be rough to go out. As for Catania - this was my favorite town I visited in Italy. Little English spoken, but fun.

It is too far out from town to use as a base for Catania though- there is a shuttle vehicle, but its not very frequent and didn't operate one day we needed. If you had a car this could help- but with the drivers in Italy... Overall can be a good place to just relax for a few days.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:32 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
I stayed here recently so I thought I'd add to this thread.

Insist on having a renovated room! After complaining about the awful room I was given (small, stained walls, mouldy bathroom, terrible bed), I got moved to an upgraded room. Nice modern bathroom, comfy bed, larger size, new tiling on walls.

The outdoor pool area on the second floor has a small bar and nice lounge chairs with sunshades. I found the breakfast buffet in the Il Timo restaurant to be very good. Although the hotel is considered a "conference" location, I was still able to get a 4pm checkout.

Not much to see in the area around that hotel. There are some bars/restaurants and a gelateria down the street. The hotel offers a complimentary van shuttle to the city centre but requires a reservation and fills up quickly. There's a bus stop right in front of the hotel that runs to the main bus/train station. There's also a small train station about an 18-20 min walk from the hotel that has regional trains running to central Catania and Taormina.

Catania itself is kinda run down and not that interesting, but staying there makes for a decent base for exploring Taormina and Siracusa.

Apart from the room issue, the hotel wasn't bad. The price was good and I believe it's the only American chain property in the area. The Hilton is further north in Giardini Naxos.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador elite & lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Emirates Plat, Flying Blue Plat
I just stayed in the property for a week of vacation, 3 rooms on points (at a rate of ~4,000 points per night).

Overall it was a good stay, and i largely agree with previous views.

The hotel is located just outside Catania (20-25 min from the airport) in a low-rise residential/vacation apartments area - it makes for a good base to explore the nearby area of Taormina, Giardini Naxos, and the rest of Sicily by car. Many nice towns are reachable in 1.5-2h max by car. Palermo is too far. Without a rental car, the location is not optimal.

Within walking distance, there are a couple of restaurants (we liked the Pizzeria Buffo just across the street), a pharmacy 20 minutes away, and a bar/beach club with music at night (which can be heard from the room btw). Not much more within walking distance.

The hotel itself is comfortable enough but don't expect any luxuries. The building looks old (70's I would say) and is in need of a facelift.

I booked 3 rooms, and as a Platinum, they gave me one suite upgrade in the first floor.
The suite was spacious, with two bathrooms and a living room. Very convenient.

The other 2 rooms, on the third floor and facing the street/sea view, were comfortable but old. I guess we got the non-renovated rooms. One of the lamps was not working. Two paintings were missing and you could see the shadow from where they were before. It was a vacation, and we were using the hotel as a base only, so it was fine, but as the building, these rooms also need a facelift.

As a Platinum too, I got free breakfast in Timo restaurant. I found it good, not great.

The hotel has a nice swimming pool. The sea is just in front of the hotel across the road. It is a rocky shore. As a guest, you have access to the hotel's sea deck built above the rocks, with sunbeds and easy access to the water. I prefer sand beaches, but this is quite convenient given its direct access from the hotel.

The service is friendly. When we asked for recommendations on places to go, they provided good information.

Overall, it was a good stay, the hotel was good enough and good value given the amount of points paid. Don't expect any luxuries though.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 3:13 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Do you have any details of the beach club you mentioned you could hear from the room?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:25 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Following the closure of the Sheraton for conversion into a Four Points, please now refer to :

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-sheraton.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.