Search

tip for room service?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2006, 1:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime Gold (current Platinum), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by teaseicu
This link may be helpful http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/tipping/

Happy tipping
Unfortunately, the link provided no guidelines for tipping the room service staff at a hotel.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 6:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by gleff
I've always wondered -- but never enough to actually ask a hotel person -- whether the service charge does in fact take care of the person delivering? Do they see any of it? If they do I'd feel comfortable not adding a tip. If they don't I'd actually want to. But my own ignorance means I don't really know what to do...

I can't speak for SPG hotels; however, I worked in a 4*, 4 Diamond Hotel in college and we were paid an hourly rate (similar to waitstaff e.g. $3.22/hr or whatever the minimum wage was). All of the added on gratuities were put into a pool and at the end of the month the pool was divided by the total hours worked by the room service waitstaff and then each person received that amount per hour worked. The pay was pretty good. That said, we especially liked it if a guest paid in cash because we received all 18% when we took the cash to the cashier. So in this case do not feel obligated to add additional gratuities. Personally, I know what it is like to work those jobs and I always put a few $ in cash in after I sign the slip.

One other thing to keep in mind is that if you are on a program or package with free breakfast there is usually no gratuity that is credited to the room service department so you might consider giving the waiter/waitress a few bucks. Other hotels might have a different policy, so YMMV.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:27 am

tip for maid?

The CNN guide did mention food delivery person's tip rate should be about 10%. The guide also mentioned the tips for chamber maid should be $2-5 per night. I usually tip $2 when I travel alone, so I am embarassed to read that. Is the going rate in a Sheraton or Westin $5/room now?
Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dukeman
One other thing to keep in mind is that if you are on a program or package with free breakfast there is usually no gratuity that is credited to the room service department so you might consider giving the waiter/waitress a few bucks. Other hotels might have a different policy, so YMMV.
I use the standard rule: if I get a free or discounted meal in a restaurant or hotel, I simply try and figure out what it would have cost and leave the appropriate 15-20% based on that. So if somebody brought me a totally free room-service breakfast (with no fixed-rate gratuity built in), I'd leave $2-3 bucks. If it's a free buffet, I'd leave a buck a head for the guy who brings the juice.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by crazygrow
Whether it is without tact or what, I always ask this question--although my stays previous to now have always been at Marriotts. The majority have replied that they get most of it. Several have replied that they get it all. One lady replied that she got 10% of it because taking the food around was not her normal job.

So, at least at Marriotts, they do get taken care of. IMO, I don't think we need to be squeamish about asking this question.
LOL!

I do room service at a VERY expensive marriott, and believe me -- the service charge is a JOKE.

Whenever you go somewhere, (if you care that is), ask on the phone what the tip out is. If it's really high, demand it's taken off, so you can tip the guy directly. We have people do this at my place.

We tip out 39% of the service charge. Yes, 39%. The hotel only charges $500-$700 a room per night too, so obviously they can't pay their managers, they make us do it (bunch of cheap sons of....)

Of course, the last marriott I stayed at in Toronto, the room service guy doesn't tip out jack.

In Canada, it's legal.

Before anyone says it, I am seeking a new job.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 1:32 pm

I personally don't add any additional tip for room service. I think 20% gratuity is plenty. It's not like there person is really providing service (i.e. - refilling drinks, taking orders, answering questions, etc.). They are delivering the food to your room. At restaurants I consider myself a good tipper, usually 20% of the entire bill (including tax). I figure people working as servers are working hard and if a few extra bucks won't hurt me.

I've gone back and forth on tipping the hotel room cleaner. I pretty much live in hotels (i.e. easily get the 75 night and 50 nights for MR and SPG) so at 125+ nights a year that's over $600 of tips! Yikes, that's a lot. Second, honestly, I don't carry much cash around when I travel because I put everything on cards. These days I tip depending on cash availability. For me it's sort of an inconvenience to keep going to the ATM just so I can tip people...maybe I'm just lazy. I will admit, if there was a way to tip them and add it to my hotel bill, I may tip more frequently.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 1:42 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
In the United States (I realize this does not hold true in other countries), for states that have a minimum wage law (most do), room service runners, servers, etc. are making no less than minimum wage as federal law requires them to pay minimum wage (if they do not participate in the tip credit i.e. Washington State) OR requires the employer to supplement their paycheck to equal minimum wage if:

Wage + Tips divided by the work week equals less than minimum wage.

Thus if I don't receive exceptional service from these staff (after all, they're getting paid to do their job, it's their own responsibility to go above and beyond to earn their tips, a seemingly inconceivable concept in the States) then I do not tip.

As for the original question of tips for Room Service runners, when this mandatory gratuity is built in, I do not tip any additional amount (and find it particularly annoying when the mandatory amount is over 20%). One thing I've noticed lately is that there is both a delivery charge AND a mandatory gratuity so I assume the gratuity goes to the runner.

Minimum wage laws by state can be found here

Last edited by NDDomer86; Sep 11, 2009 at 8:51 pm Reason: Incorrect information
Old Sep 11, 2009, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Quite frankly I don't mind ordering from room service if the charges are reasonable. But when you have sales tax, 20% service fee, and $6 delivery fee and a line for a tip is borderline robbery.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 5:47 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Considering you are paying 20% (plus delivery charge) for food that is already 50% overpriced, I don't tip extra at all. As a matter of fact I have high expectations of room service for it is so overpriced. If they forgot the OJ for example, or the meal is somewhat cold I will call back and make sure everything is to my liking, since I paid more than twice what I feel it is worth to begin with.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 6:51 am

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
I am quite surprised with the responses here.

I almost always tip when I order room service. Usually a few bucks, or equivalent in local currency. Just like I always tip porters about a dollar or two, per bag. But usually in third world countries, a little less.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 7:25 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by janhigginskcmo
This is a helpful topic. I always feel quilty when I don't tip on top of what they already charge because of that extra tip line.
I feel so guilty I even add ANOTHER 20%.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SC Alum
I almost always tip when I order room service. Usually a few bucks, or equivalent in local currency. Just like I always tip porters about a dollar or two, per bag. But usually in third world countries, a little less.
You already tip. It's included.

I agree with the above. If I ask for something and it's forgotten, I call immediately and have it brought up. If I order a steak or something medium rare and it's well done, I call and have it fixed. If I'm paying $20 for a hamburger or $35 for a steak (which doesn't happen often), they'd better get it right or I'm sending it back. (And I certainly don't tip on the return trip.)
Old Sep 13, 2009, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
At my current hotel:

15% service charge, 5% administrative fee, $5 delivery charge, and 10% sales tax. So that is like 30% + $5 before "tipping".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.