Puerto Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas

Old Aug 6, 2003, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Puerta Vallarta or Cabo

Looking for a wonderful relaxing week at either Mexican town. We would stay at the Westin at either one. We have never been to Mexico. What's better for swimming, relaxing, food, snorkleing, and hiking? Which Westin is better?

I have read the posts on both but hope to hear some more recent reports on either.

I appreciate any help.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 10:19 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Don't know how the Westin in Cabo is.. but I am not so fond of the Westin-PVR. Swimming and food could be a lot better there, in my opinion.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 12:10 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
MHO is Cabo, if you limit yourself to the Westin. Cabo location is inconvenient unless you rent a car.

Puerto Vallarta if you do not limit yourself to the Westin. I would recommend the Camino Real which no longer has any affiliation with the Hilton. (Reviews are in the H* forum). Puerto Vallarta has more to do in the way of dining, shopping, walks in the jungle.

Cabo has more drinking, better snorkling, whale watching in season, quite a few good restaurants, but no jungle. It is arid and hot.

Both are enjoyable in their own way.

Old Aug 6, 2003, 12:20 pm

Never stayed either SPG property, although that Sheraton PVR has to be the best deal in terms of starpoints.... 1125 per night, or something... Insane. Hire someone with a baot to take

PVR is a nice town with some good culture. If you want to just sit at a resort, go to Cabo, but I have heard the swimming off the resort is kind of tough with currents, etc.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

This will be an award stay, so we are going to stay at either the Sheraton or Westin in either place. Thanks for the insights thus far.

Has anyone recently stayed at either the Westin or Sheraton in either town?
Old Aug 7, 2003, 6:06 am
Original Poster

William

I am looking for the email address of the Westin Regina in Los Cabos. I know you said in a prior posting that hotels publish their email addresses if they want to, but I have specific questions about the property that I would like to ask.

Thanks.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 7:59 am

The Sheraton PVR was closed due to post-hurricane damage reconstruction from November 2002. If it's open again, at least it will be "recently renovated"! If you had to choose Sheraton vs Westin, I would pick Sheraton because of the closer proximity to the town.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kindra178:
BoSox

Isn't the sheraton pvr closed for some reason?
</font>
Old Aug 7, 2003, 11:46 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kindra178:
William

I am looking for the email address of the Westin Regina in Los Cabos. I know you said in a prior posting that hotels publish their email addresses if they want to, but I have specific questions about the property that I would like to ask.

Thanks.
</font>
The only published email address for the hotel is [email protected].

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Old Aug 7, 2003, 5:50 pm

This will be an award stay, so we are going to stay at either the Sheraton or Westin in either place. Thanks for the insights thus far.

Has anyone recently stayed at either the Westin or Sheraton in either town?
</font>
Sheraton Hacienda del Mar in Cabo is a great property.

Old Aug 7, 2003, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 1M, AA Gold 1M
Stayed in Westin PVR for one night in June. The pools are very nice as are the swim up bars. Beware of the time-share hawks who are everywhere. We drove past the Sheraton, it does not seem nearly as nice as the Westin. Both the Sheraton (Hotel Zone) and Westin (Marina Vallarta) have beaches that are almost useless. The best beaches in PVR are south of Los Muertos. I second the recommendation of staying at the El Camino Real. It's a nice property and staff is well trained. I heard Liz Taylor used to stay there. Beach is probably the nicest in PVR but don't expect clear waters.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 7:48 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
This is one of those classic questions that will get a different answer from each person. In many ways, it is a simple matter of taste. PV is a tourist town, but also a fully functioning town where locals work and eat, too. Cabo is not. PV is very centalized, with most everything in a downtown locale; Cabo does have a town of sorts, but it is totally touristy --- the nice hotels and resorts are far off and not necessarily within easy access of much else.

I have stayed at the Sheraton PV prior to the hurricane last year. This property has a very good location and we found the general offerings to be fine. It is NOT a luxury hotel and there will be no pampering of guests!!! If that's what you need, do not stay here. We found the place spotlessly clean and the restaurants to be okay. I look forward to staying here again following the extensive renovations to both rooms and grounds this year.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone. Really good advice. I am leaning towards Cabo (the Sheraton is booked at the end of October) so I think the Westin it will be.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 12:06 pm

I recently stayed at the Westin Puerto Vallarta (mid June 2003). Nice hotel but bad beach and dirty pool. The beach had a lot of debri washing ashore. I assume because it is on a bay and all of the garbage does not go out into the ocean. Also, the beach was maybe only 10 to 15 yards deep. Maybe the hurricane had something to do with it.

The pool had green mold all over it. Looks like my pool in the winter when neglected. They did have workers one morning scubbing it. But they were just moving the mold around. It is a big pool, but it needed to be shocked and the mold killer chemical should be applied.

I was there on business, by myself, so I had no intentions of going swimming.

The food was pretty good though. I got the most basic room at about $98 per night, was upgraded to a room with jacuzzi on the balcony on the upper floors with a free substantial breakfast buffet. They had grass tennis courts, and I got a good reasonable massage.

I would take my family if they fox the beach and clean the pool.

Old Jan 15, 2006, 6:41 pm

Puerto Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas

Planning to spend a week this summer with my family (two children ages 11 & 9). Trying to decide between the Westin in Puerto Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas. Open to the Sheraton's as well. Any suggestion of teh best place to go with family? Never been to either place.
Carlos
Old Jan 15, 2006, 7:43 pm

Cabo is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Westin there is an incredible property. This is an architectural marvel on a beautiful beach. Lots of pools. Little far from downtown, but they have a shuttle every hour. Hopr that helps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.