Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood Discount Codes (SET #)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by haibane
So, what is the appropriate way to use SET codes?
In the past, I have been able to call a hotel and ask if they have a specific rate for customers I am visiting, and they have given me the rate without much issue.

Are these rates supposed to be just for employees of the company or is what I am doing above considered okay?
It's all up to the contract the company has with SPG. Some restrict the rate to employees travelling on company business, some allow employees (and maybe even retirees) to use the rate for personal travel, some extend their rate to vendors/customers sometimes requiring special permission (letter of introduction). Some contracts call for a specific number of rooms to be available, some cover last room available. Some contracts call for usage reports back to the company, some don't (or don't get looked at too closely). So there is no one answer to your question.

Typically, I expect SET codes to be used for company business. As long as you don't misrepresent yourself as being a company employee, and the property accepts you using the rate then you should be fine.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:17 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Looks like another opportunity for a Wiki page.
Perhaps, but not on FlyerTalk.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Perhaps, but not on FlyerTalk.
Sorry, I meant about the rules, not the codes.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:16 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
A GM from the Marriott forum explained why unauthorized use of rate codes hurts the business. The simplified way he explained it is as follows: Suppose a hotel has 100 rooms and routine sells out 60 room on average per night. It is happy to give you a discounted rate is you average no more than 20-40 rooms per night. That way it gets rid of those remaining, empty rooms. But if unauthorized users of your rate code bring your average up to say 50 rooms, then you are taking away at least 10 rooms that are expected to be sold at the higher, undiscounted rate. Thus the hotel is losing money. When you go to renegotiate your rates next year you will actually get a worse rate at that hotel because you took too many rooms.

That's why businesses will audit the usage of the rate codes
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:10 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by clarkef
A GM from the Marriott forum explained why unauthorized use of rate codes hurts the business. The simplified way he explained it is as follows: Suppose a hotel has 100 rooms and routine sells out 60 room on average per night. It is happy to give you a discounted rate is you average no more than 20-40 rooms per night. That way it gets rid of those remaining, empty rooms. But if unauthorized users of your rate code bring your average up to say 50 rooms, then you are taking away at least 10 rooms that are expected to be sold at the higher, undiscounted rate. Thus the hotel is losing money. When you go to renegotiate your rates next year you will actually get a worse rate at that hotel because you took too many rooms.

True especially if the rate qualifies for LRA.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP

I suppose, but I can't imagine there are that many companies that take up such a large number of rooms at one hotel regularly. And if they did, would that property really want to risk losing all those reservations by screwing them in the next round of negotiations. It seems like regularly selling 50 rooms at a discounted rate would be better than gaining 10 additional undiscounted rates during a limited number of high demand periods.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 2:44 pm
RNE

That GM's explanation is nothing but snake oil. It's intended to spook would-be usurpers. Truth: the more nights used the lower the rate the business pays. Period. Businesses audit usage rarely, and when they do, it's only to placate the hotel in question.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by spgplat21
I suppose, but I can't imagine there are that many companies that take up such a large number of rooms at one hotel regularly.
Try a small local hotel within a half-mile of any suburban corporate HQ of a Fortune 500 company. I specifically recall a Red Roof Inn not far from Boeing HQ when I worked for them years ago. It probably would have been cheaper if Boeing had simply purchased the hotel.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Diamond for 10 years(2004-2014),Hilton Gold,Club Carlson gold
Using Oracle SET

Does SPG check ID for using SET codes?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by angusho
I've been asked to show a business card or contract from time to time.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 4:38 pm
RNE

Anyone ever denied a SET rate for not being able to produce a business card or contract? No.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Diamond for 10 years(2004-2014),Hilton Gold,Club Carlson gold
IBM code $70 saving

Found $70 saving using IBM code in Chicago. Would I be ask to show IBM ID? Could I show my business card and claim to have a meeting with IBM officials? Thanks for answering!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RNE
That GM's explanation is nothing but snake oil. It's intended to spook would-be usurpers. Truth: the more nights used the lower the rate the business pays. Period. Businesses audit usage rarely, and when they do, it's only to placate the hotel in question.
While this particular GM’s explanation might be questionable, more volume isn't necessary desirable by the business. I do know of corporate rates on two hotels that have been "locked" down by requiring the booking to come from the corporate designated travel agency because the number of guests illegitimately using the rate is resulting in approved guests being displaced due to lack of room availability.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Odds are that you'll be OK. The problem, though, is that if the request ID and you don't have it, you'll likely be paying rack. So you have to decide whether you're comfortable with the downside risk and odds. Multiply them, of course, for the predicted downside cost. I.e., if you figure a 10% chance of being carded, and it will cost you an extra $200 to pay rack, then your predicted cost is $20. Of course, if this is the stay on which you're carded, your actual cost os still $200.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:00 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I have been asked a few times as well... although it was more prevalent in years I was SPG Gold and is less prevalent in years I'm Platinum.

Found $70 saving using IBM code in Chicago. Would I be ask to show IBM ID? Could I show my business card and claim to have a meeting with IBM officials? Thanks for answering!
The lower the rate the higher the odds are you'll be asked imo. Personally that rate sounds quite low. As for your idea... you could try it they might accept. But as the poster below states... rack rate if they don't. Can't imagine that the risk is worth it to you.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Odds are that you'll be OK. The problem, though, is that if the request ID and you don't have it, you'll likely be paying rack. So you have to decide whether you're comfortable with the downside risk and odds. Multiply them, of course, for the predicted downside cost. I.e., if you figure a 10% chance of being carded, and it will cost you an extra $200 to pay rack, then your predicted cost is $20. Of course, if this is the stay on which you're carded, your actual cost os still $200.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.