Starwood Discount Codes (SET #)

Old Jun 24, 2007, 12:24 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
How often have people been asked for thier company card or badge when using thier company SET#?

Will hotels honor the rate if you don't have company identification at checkin?
Old Jun 24, 2007, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965
How often have people been asked for thier company card or badge when using thier company SET#?
Never.
Will hotels honor the rate if you don't have company identification at checkin?
Doubtful.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 2:16 pm

Am I understanding you correctly;

So they rarely ask for identification but if they did, on a rare occasion, then they wouldn't let you stay at the rate.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Am I understanding you correctly;

So they rarely ask for identification but if they did, on a rare occasion, then they wouldn't let you stay at the rate.
At the same time, there are so many reasons to legitimately use a company's SET code without "proper identification". Job candidates must use my company's corporate rates, and sometimes we must use another company's SET code / corporate rate during a consulting engagement. I imagine contractors are in the same situation. Any such scenario will likely preserve the corporate rate.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 3:18 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
TravelGuy1965, this is not really any different than when folks use the govt or AAA rates. There's a good chance that no proof of eligibility will be required, but when it's requested, you're expected to provide it. And if you're unable to provide proof of eligibility, then be prepared to accept the best currently available public rate or the RACK rate if no rate is available.

I don't recall ever being required to provide my company ID when using my SET codes, but I have been asked to provide my AAA card or government ID (or a government letter of authorization) when using those types of rates. Should I not have such ID on me at time of check-in, I've been expected to return with such ID the next day.

If I were to use a mysterious SET code, I think that I would at least try to find out the name of the company that it belongs to. IIRC, I was once asked to give the name of my company and it's location to the check-in agent at the Westin Las Vegas. (That's a small feat to guess since my company has had three names and three headquarter cities since 2003.)
Old Jun 24, 2007, 3:38 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA-Gold; Avis-First; Hertz-PC;Marriott-Plat;
Clarification

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Different SET codes work for different properties... so if you use one with an agreement at one property or chain or country or whatever, you may get a great deal under "Company Name", but when you the same SET at another property you might get the generic Chain Wide Discount and no "Company Name" associated with it. There's no rhyme or reason that anyone here will ever be able to deduce. If you have a bunch of SET codes, try them out for the different properties and you'll get different results... sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.

And yes, when using a SET code, your folio more often than not will show the corporation's name.
Actually, there are reasons as to why certain hotels offer better rates using an SET # over other properties using the same number. One very big one is the business the company is bringing/doing to/in the area of the hotel. For instance, staying at the Sheraton near Best Buy in Minneapolis will render you a really good rate if you work for company X where many of the guests are consulting with Best Buy.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MASTERPC
Actually, there are reasons as to why certain hotels offer better rates using an SET # over other properties using the same number. One very big one is the business the company is bringing/doing to/in the area of the hotel. For instance, staying at the Sheraton near Best Buy in Minneapolis will render you a really good rate if you work for company X where many of the guests are consulting with Best Buy.
way to dig up an old thread.

i still find it remarkable that starwood SET codes have stayed secret (or at least there isn't a running thread with SET codes). if you look at other forums, codes are passed around like it's no big deal.

i am not saying we should be sharing SET codes, don't get me wrong. i just find it interesting that they are shared in other forums but not in the starwood forum.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks

i am not saying we should be sharing SET codes, don't get me wrong. i just find it interesting that they are shared in other forums but not in the starwood forum.
1 - I think because many of us know it's wrong to use a code if we're not associated with that company.
2 - We know how much Starwood monitors this board and will quickly shut down any SET codes they see published here.
3 - Comparing the SET from the company I consult for, the SET given me as a HOT shareholder and shopping for regular and promo rates, I know there is no consistency so sharing my not be much help.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
But this brings about an interesting point. My partner's company allows me to travel under their company benefits. Usually, I can get cheaper flights, cars, hotels, etc. on my own, but once in a while, I do use their corporate contracts. I have specifically asked and been told that I can use their hotel discounts, we can use them on holiday or business travel, and I can even use them when I am travelling by myself (under spouse benefits). I certainly do not have any corporate ID for his company, and I certainly would not expect a night-time front desk clerk to be able to find out whether or not I have the right to use that specific SET. So, I guess I hear you saying that I would probably get bumped up to a standard rate?
Old Dec 1, 2007, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by nroscoe
We know how much Starwood monitors this board and will quickly shut down any SET codes they see published here.
Doesn't one of the other hotel forums (is it Marriott?) have a stickie with SETs? There has been discussion here....and I have asked one of the Starwood mods about it, but got a real wishy-washy response about "yeah, they do it. we could too. we've talked about it. yeah, we'll talk some more. we'll let you know."
Old Dec 1, 2007, 5:26 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by nroscoe
1 - I think because many of us know it's wrong to use a code if we're not associated with that company.
I agree with this point and am pleased that we have long kept SET codes out of FT. Just sayin'.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 6:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by kevinsac
Doesn't one of the other hotel forums (is it Marriott?) have a stickie with SETs? There has been discussion here....and I have asked one of the Starwood mods about it, but got a real wishy-washy response about "yeah, they do it. we could too. we've talked about it. yeah, we'll talk some more. we'll let you know."
Sorry if you think that the mods gave you a "wishy-washy response. . "

To further explain this, we did discuss it, we also discussed it with other moderators as well. Since *wood has made it rather clear that they do have many occasions where they do ask for a company ID (there are several threads about this) and then people are upset because they're not having that rate "honored" and since others on the board also know that the codes shouldn't be shared, it was decided that we would not post SET codes here on the public forum.

You'll notice that, in fact, as a matter of practice in MANY of the forums, there are many things not posted in any of the forums e.g., elite phone numbers for UA 1K, PremEx, etc., Hyatt SET codes (or equivalent are not posted), nor are codes for other airlines. This is a public forum and if you would like to post your company's SET code for everybody to use then feel free to. Of course realize that *wood does seem to have a rather good internal auditing department. I'm not sure that my employer would look kindly on everybody having access to codes that were negotiated for our company. For those who are saying that "other" forums have them published, if you look at all of the forums you will find, in fact that they are far and few between.

It has been a matter of respect and the fact that folks who visit this forum have asked the codes not to be published as well so that there aren't any issues downline. Again, this was a discussion that was had a long time ago and we decided that for this forum it wasn't appropriate. I hope that this provides a non "'wishy-washy" answer.

Should folks have a compelling reason to have the SET codes published here, by all means, please PM us and we'll discuss this again (nothing is ever "permanently" closed unless it's a direct violation of the TOS).

ldsant
*wood co-Moderator
Old Dec 1, 2007, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ldsant
I'm not sure that my employer would look kindly on everybody having access to codes that were negotiated for our company.
Why not?

The more stays are booked under the SET the bigger is the negotiation power. We even encourage our employees to book eg. rail- and airtickets for private travel and all other travel under the Firm's code. We are not too much into hotels as we travel on Client's codes and expense all the time.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Why not?

The more stays are booked under the SET the bigger is the negotiation power. We even encourage our employees to book eg. rail- and airtickets for private travel and all other travel under the Firm's code. We are not too much into hotels as we travel on Client's codes and expense all the time.
On the flip side, my SET may allow a certain number of rooms at the negotiated rate. If you're using my SET and aren't entitled, my corp rate is effectively unavailable to me.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.