Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Long Beach, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Long Beach, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2011, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, United MP Premier, Alaska Air, BA, Qantas, ANZ
I have read that this property was going to be renovated.

Any news? Any recent stays?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Frequent Flier ;)
Recent stay there

Hello

Just came back from this property. Went there with a friend. We stayed in Vegas for a few nights before arriving in Long Beach, as we wanted to get closer to LAX. Westin sounded promising, but the hotel rooms are in serious need for renovation. They are both damp, humid, outdated and to a certain degree with several damages. Another contributing factor also might have been the nights in Las Vegas in a really nice hotel, and then coming here...
I would have been expecting much more from a Westin - but this might be my wrong impression, knowing mostly European Westin branded hotels.

Acutally we even considered changing the hotel, but in the end decided against this due to limited time and given one night only.

We were told that the rooms are due for refurbishing and renovation in around four weeks from now, reception was already partially done.

Bathrooms looked better than the main rooms. As PLAT I got one of the nice "executive suites" to the right hand side of the elevator (see previous posts). In my oppinion this merely could be called a junior suite, because as another OP points out, there is only a bigger couch in it - no two rooms, so hardly a real suite.

Parking fee for a whole day is 17 USD, whereas valet was considerably cheap with a max amount of 20 USD. Check-in staff was uber-friendly, not often I could say that. But they really were able to still apologize, point out good places, remember you and greet you in a very friendly manner whenever you came by. Really amazing.

So in the end: hotel is mostly outdated, but this autumn should get a nice clean up and refurbishing. Hope another FT colleague will then keep us posted on the result. Until then it keeps with nice location and pricewise is acceptable value for money.

All the best,

Tim
Old May 7, 2012, 10:05 am

Has anyone stayed here lately who is willing to offer a review?
Old May 7, 2012, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by darcyt
Has anyone stayed here lately who is willing to offer a review?
I stay here usually a 2 to 3 times each year. The hotel is pretty much the same as always. All my earlier comments still apply.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:58 am

My wife and I need a break from the Las Vegas heat for a few days, and I was thinking of staying here for three nights.

A few questions:

1) Any less expensive/free parking in the area? Whilst I used to be accustomed to paying for parking, living in Las Vegas has rendered me "spoiled" in this area.

2) Anything good within walking distance of this place?

3) I dunno...I guess I'm kinda "meh" about this whole thing. We'll have our 10 month old daughter with us. We don't want to spend $200 a day on overpriced theme parks. Long Beach seemed as good of a place as any to hang out for a few days. But what is there to keep us occupied?
Old Aug 4, 2012, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by TravelScholar
2) Anything good within walking distance of this place?
There is a whole lot to do, even within walking distance. There are all the Pine street bars and restaurants and cinema around the corner. There is the Pike http://www.thepikeatlongbeach.com/ and it's a short drive over to the Queen Mary and I think they still have a Russian sub there you can tour. There is a water taxi to take you to Belmont Shores instead of driving. Lots of nice dining and shopping there.

I don't know about any free parking nearby. I prefer the convenience of self-parking underneath the hotel.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 9:38 pm

Absolutely fantastic stay here! New platinum member and was given an amazing upgrade to the La Jolla suite (one of two bi-levels that extend to the 17 floor you'll see from the building front under the Westin logo). I asked one of the front desk agents a 10 second question that morning and upon late check out probably 6 hours later he greeted me immediately by name. I found everyone super attentive, friendly and impeccable at acknowledging the SPG program.

The area is really nice (beach was extremely accessible too). This hotel went above and beyond and I definitely will try and come back in the future.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:23 pm

How's the room renovation? Is it ongoing or ??
Old Aug 26, 2012, 9:04 am

Not sure, the room I was in obviously wasn't indicative of standard rooms.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 12:16 am

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
Refresh ongoing

Just spent two nights here strictly on leftover points, and I live in Long Beach -- just needed to get out of the latest mini heat wave and it seemed like a nice and convenient option for a little getaway, as only a minute from the freeway I take to work, and sleep in a cool room was the priority. Not sorry I did it.

Had been inside a few years ago when some family came to stay there, and it was definitely getting quite tired at that point. Not now -- assuming you get a renovated room. Was told all the floors above 9 were done, and mine was sleek in the current kind of minimal Westin style; not huge but big enough and functional, and the bed heavenly as promoted. Minor quibbles: nothing stocked in the room bar/fridge; and like other Westins I've been in, kinda dark: no ceiling lights, no reading lamp if you wanted to read in the club chair; indeed, no second club chair altho plenty of space for it, but for a solo traveller that's no big deal. And location remains good for downtown -- business, courts, convention center, Arts District, Queen Mary and Pine Street attractions etc. -- but pretty serene inside the property itself. Imagine that could be different if a lot of events going on there; was very quiet/empty for me.

Self-parking was $17/day. Staff pleasant and efficient, altho I asked nothing special of them. Not sure if this is system-wide yet, but for Golds they have a new amenity offer: your choice of points, free drinks, or free internet; not a lot, but at least a gesture of appreciation.

One tip: ask for a top floor room if available -- that would be floor 16 -- as the ceilings are very much higher than the other floors, a nice feature, and the floor-to-celing windows offer some pretty spectacular views.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; SPG Gold; OnePass Gold; Avis President's Club
Renovations Complete

2 day cash and points stay, Tues-Thurs, 4/16/13-4/18/13.

Platinum member, upgraded to Executive Suite on 6th floor at check-in, no problems. Executive suite is one room, bed is separated from the sitting area by a 75% wall.

Asked if all renovations have been completed, and was told they were.

Was very happy with the room, although the shower pressure could have been a little better. Hotel is looking very nice and the area was pleasant to walk around in. Pleasant, helpful staff. Would stay here again.

Self-park is $18 per day. No executive lounge.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by TravelScholar
My wife and I need a break from the Las Vegas heat for a few days, and I was thinking of staying here for three nights.

A few questions:

1) Any less expensive/free parking in the area? Whilst I used to be accustomed to paying for parking, living in Las Vegas has rendered me "spoiled" in this area.
Have a look for yourself: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=The+W...Beach,+CA&z=19

Looks to me like free parking has about the same odds as free street parking on the Strip.

Last edited by JackE; Apr 19, 2013 at 2:34 am
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:44 pm

Had a very good, 3 nights stay here. Got pre-upgraded to an executive suite on the 15th floor with no view.
Room was nice & bed really heavenly.... Great front desk & restaurant staff as well,

Again, well done Starwood.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:40 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
I just checked in and was not given an upgrade to a suite. They could not even get me a king size bed.
Looking online and they are still selling suites for tonight.
for platinum recognition.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 4:41 pm

Our Sincere Apologies

Originally Posted by mendy7511
I just checked in and was not given an upgrade to a suite. They could not even get me a king size bed.
Looking online and they are still selling suites for tonight.
for platinum recognition.
Hello Mendy7511,

Thank you for your review. We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced with us. Here at The Westin Long Beach we do our best to accommodate our guests especially our SPG Platinum members. We are also puzzled to know suites were still available on our online booking system being that our property was at full capacity on the day of your arrival. Rest assure that we have brought this to the attention of our reservations team so that they may check our online booking engines to avoid misleading future guests.

We also tried our very hardest to provide you with Platinum amenities such as an upgrade to a harbor view room as well as cancelling a second reservation without penalty. We are sincerely sorry if our offerings did not meet your expectations.

We invite you to reach out to us so that we may discuss this situation further. It is our hope to welcome you back to The Westin Long Beach so that we may provide you with the pleasant and refreshing stay you deserve.

Thank you again for your time and understanding. Be well.

Respectfully,
The Westin Long Beach

T 562.436.3000
E [email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.