Finally..

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...ings_cat1.html
Old Jan 1, 2006, 1:39 pm
TZL

Programs: UAL 1P, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt GP Diamond
thanks !
Old Jan 1, 2006, 2:00 pm

Programs: FB-Gold, SPG-Plat, Priority Club-Plat
money-opp, very useful info, thanks for posting the link!!
Old Jan 1, 2006, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not updated to 2006 on venice hotels. don't know about the rest.

in fact, the danieli still has 2004 data.

looks like typical starwood i.t. product to me, over a year out of date(other than the fact that it is up and running, which is a surprise).

They will get it right sooner or laaaatttttttteeeeeeerrrrrrr.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:20 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by slawecki
not updated to 2006 on venice hotels. don't know about the rest.

in fact, the danieli still has 2004 data.

looks like typical starwood i.t. product to me, over a year out of date(other than the fact that it is up and running, which is a surprise).

They will get it right sooner or laaaatttttttteeeeeeerrrrrrr.
I couldn't find the Westin in St John Virgin Islands either. Used to be a category 4, I heard it was moving to a Cat. 5, but I can't locate it anywhere. When you look at reservations page on the website it appears, states it's a cat 5 but only wants 10,000 pts per night. I thought Cat.5 were between 12-16000. Strange!
Old Jan 2, 2006, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Exclamation category changes

Also note that the Prince de Galles in Paris was demoted to a 5 from 6.

Newly acquired Westin Paris isn't listed, but believe it's still a 5.

Old Jan 2, 2006, 7:11 pm

Thanks for the update!

Anyone knows when will SPG update the cash & points award listing for this year(2006)?

AndrewM
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:29 pm

Programs: WN A+CP, UAL, Marriott LTPPE
Originally Posted by AndrewM
Thanks for the update!

Anyone knows when will SPG update the cash & points award listing for this year(2006)?

AndrewM

Just spoke with the Platinmun Concierge and he indicated Jan 31st
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:45 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I am, for some reason, personally highly amused that the Sheraton Billings -- where I was put up when my NW flight made an emergency landing in Montana a year ago -- is a category 1. It's quite nice, actually.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 8:59 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
new listings posted along with as many non-listed ones as I could think of . . .
Old Jan 3, 2006, 9:04 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I also left in 2005 levels so someone can do the math on how many went up and how many went down, stayed the same etc.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
I also left in 2005 levels so someone can do the math on how many went up and how many went down, stayed the same etc.
Awesome spreadsheet for Starwood! Great job ^
Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:42 am

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Tmpy
I couldn't find the Westin in St John Virgin Islands either. Used to be a category 4, I heard it was moving to a Cat. 5, but I can't locate it anywhere. When you look at reservations page on the website it appears, states it's a cat 5 but only wants 10,000 pts per night. I thought Cat.5 were between 12-16000. Strange!
This is not a resort I would consider to be a Cat. 5. If someone stays at a Cat. 5 and then goes to the Westin St. John expecting the same thing they are going to be disappointed.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 11:54 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by Austin99
This is not a resort I would consider to be a Cat. 5. If someone stays at a Cat. 5 and then goes to the Westin St. John expecting the same thing they are going to be disappointed.
This is a resort that I would consider to be a very expensive Starwood property. If someone statys at a very expensive Starwood property and then goes to the Westin St. John expecting it the same thing (a very expensive Starwood property) they are going to get exactly that. (And perhaps they'll be disappointed that the service or other factors are not the same as at their previous very expensive Starwood property).

Starwood Categories are not to be confused with AAA ratings. Starwood Categories are based primarily on price -- not quality, service, amenities, or luxury.

One problem that I have with this particular property's categorization, though, is that I have seen the rates vary wildly across the year. In the hot summer and in hurricane season, I have seen rates in the past down to around $125. This is why I think that a Cash & Points division ought to be set up for some Cat5's.

I see a similar categorization problem at the Aladdin. It's a Cat4, but I can find rates below $110 on most weekdays. And I definitely don't consider the Aladdin to be a 4-star property since among other reasons, there's nothing special about the service there other than that I sometimes get turndown service with chocolates on my pillow. At least the Aladdin doesn't charge a "resort fee." (Or rather it's built into the room rate the way that it should be!!!)
Old Jan 3, 2006, 12:12 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by sc flier
This is a resort that I would consider to be a very expensive Starwood property. If someone statys at a very expensive Starwood property and then goes to the Westin St. John expecting it the same thing (a very expensive Starwood property) they are going to get exactly that. (And perhaps they'll be disappointed that the service or other factors are not the same as at their previous very expensive Starwood property).

Starwood Categories are not to be confused with AAA ratings. Starwood Categories are based primarily on price -- not quality, service, amenities, or luxury.

One problem that I have with this particular property's categorization, though, is that I have seen the rates vary wildly across the year. In the hot summer and in hurricane season, I have seen rates in the past down to around $125. This is why I think that a Cash & Points division ought to be set up for some Cat5's.

I see a similar categorization problem at the Aladdin. It's a Cat4, but I can find rates below $110 on most weekdays. And I definitely don't consider the Aladdin to be a 4-star property since among other reasons, there's nothing special about the service there other than that I sometimes get turndown service with chocolates on my pillow. At least the Aladdin doesn't charge a "resort fee." (Or rather it's built into the room rate the way that it should be!!!)

I agree that the Cat. 5 doesnt make it anything more then an expensive hotel, however most Cat. 5 and Cat. 6 hotels offer great rooms and exceptional customer service along with an expensive rate. If you look up and down at all the Cat. 5 this one is just seems out of place. While it comes with an expensive rate it seems to miss out on having the great rooms and customer service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.