Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updated 2006 Cat

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2006, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Austin99
I agree that the Cat. 5 doesnt make it anything more then an expensive hotel, however most Cat. 5 and Cat. 6 hotels offer great rooms and exceptional customer service along with an expensive rate. If you look up and down at all the Cat. 5 this one is just seems out of place. While it comes with an expensive rate it seems to miss out on having the great rooms and customer service.

Same thing happend with Westin GCM last year . Up to Cat 5 from 4. While a good resort htl , rates also bvary from very low to V high, and not really , in my opinion a Cat5.

However after 1 year Cat 5 , back down to Cat 4.

Maybee Westin ST John the same way.

No Complaining as a few weeks ago booked 10 days Westin St John for 80 K * points.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 1:16 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by Austin99
I agree that the Cat. 5 doesnt make it anything more then an expensive hotel, however most Cat. 5 and Cat. 6 hotels offer great rooms and exceptional customer service along with an expensive rate. If you look up and down at all the Cat. 5 this one is just seems out of place. While it comes with an expensive rate it seems to miss out on having the great rooms and customer service.
I know what you mean, but some hotels offer a premium location with good service/rooms instead of exceptional service/rooms. I've not yet stayed at St John, so I can't comment too well on your viewpoint about this property.

I haven't stayed at any of the NYC Cat5's, but are the NYC W's and Westin Times Square worthy of Cat5 status if it were based on rooms/service?
Sheraton Maui?
Westin Maui? (I've stayed here but still think it should be Cat4 despite my excellent suite upgrade.)
Westin Los Cabos?
Old Jan 3, 2006, 2:03 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by sc flier
I know what you mean, but some hotels offer a premium location with good service/rooms instead of exceptional service/rooms. I've not yet stayed at St John, so I can't comment too well on your viewpoint about this property.

I haven't stayed at any of the NYC Cat5's, but are the NYC W's and Westin Times Square worthy of Cat5 status if it were based on rooms/service?
Sheraton Maui?
Westin Maui? (I've stayed here but still think it should be Cat4 despite my excellent suite upgrade.)
Westin Los Cabos?
It's hard to find a better location then a St. John resort room, although a recent trip to El Careyes may have done that. I have stayed at the W Times Square and while it does have a small room they are atleast nicely done. After two trips to the Westin St. John one of my complaints is that the room isnt as nice as I would expect, not even close. While I haven't stayed at every Cat. 5 hotel, this is one hotel that should not be a Cat. 5.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 4:29 am
Suspended

Programs: NW Silver Elite, Marriott Gold, UA 0P
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
new listings posted along with as many non-listed ones as I could think of . . .
Hi! When OP posted link to new list, I checked some hotels in Canada and Japan. Then I looked at 2006 levels on the spreadsheet.

Westin Calgary web says 3, spreadsheet says 2
Sheraton Guildford Hotel web says 1, spreadsheet says 3

Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre web says 3, spreadsheet says 1

The Westin Nagoya Castle web says 2, spreadsheet says 4
Sheraton Sapporo Hotel web says 2, spreadsheet says 3

I am using openoffice to view spreadsheet, so if there is some problem in how openoffice is displaying data, I apologize for bothering.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 7:43 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Looks like a sort corrupted the table -- a new correct version will be posted shortly . . .
Old Jan 4, 2006, 7:44 am
Original Member

table is up--if you are having trouble seeing it (cookies etc still giving you the incorrect version), then go to

http://publish.shaw.ca/twallis/starwood.xls

Thanks for the heads up. Seems properties named S-Z were affected?????
Old Jan 4, 2006, 7:52 am
Original Member

Let me know if you see anything else out of place.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 7:53 am
Original Member

As far as I know, it includes properties not listed on Starwood category listings (at least as of a couple of days ago) but which do appear in the individual hotel listings. There may be additional properties not listed that I didn't catch
Old Jan 11, 2006, 1:19 pm

William,

Can you advise if the Westin GCM is changing to Cat 4 or has this now changed and it will remain level 5 .

( Still showing 5 on website , but I thought ( although I may well be wrong) that it was listed in your post to be changing to 4)

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 1:26 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by jchand
William,

Can you advise if the Westin GCM is changing to Cat 4 or has this now changed and it will remain level 5 .

( Still showing 5 on website , but I thought ( although I may well be wrong) that it was listed in your post to be changing to 4)

Thanks for your help.
I'll be glad to check, but what is GCM?

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jan 11, 2006, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
I'll be glad to check, but what is GCM?

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Sorry William

Grand Cayman
Old Jan 11, 2006, 1:48 pm

Sorry William

Grand Cayman
No problem. Hard to say at the moment. In the reservation database it says Category 4, but on the web site it says Category 5. I've asked for clarification from the folks who would know for certain. Once they tell me, I'll be glad to get back to you.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jan 11, 2006, 2:00 pm

...Grand Cayman
The word from the powers-that-be is that this hotel is Category 4 for 2006. The web site will be changed to reflect that - probably by sometime tomorrow. Thanks for letting me know about the web site discrepancy.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jan 11, 2006, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
No problem. Hard to say at the moment. In the reservation database it says Category 4, but on the web site it says Category 5. I've asked for clarification from the folks who would know for certain. Once they tell me, I'll be glad to get back to you.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Thanks William.

I appreciate your help.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 5:17 pm

Programs: AS Gold/SPG Gold/Hertz PC
Westin Times Square award availability

Tried in the past week to book an award at Westin Times Square (spg.com still showed it at category 4) and was shown/told (online and through platinum elite line) each time that there is no availability ... today, all of a sudden (and after the change to category 5), there is plenty of award availability. I think it's unfair of the hotel to hold off award availability until the change

I called the Platinum elite line to see if can still get it at cat. 4. She tried to help but claimed that the system won't allow an over-ride.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.