Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honeymoon - Nice, Como, & Venice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2005, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Honeymoon - Nice, Como, & Venice

I am getting ready to book my honeymoon for July. The tentative plan is to start in Nice, continue on to Como, and end in Venice (over 12 nights or so). Just wondering what suggestions anyone would have on Starwood properties in those locations would be best for a honeymoon.

Also, anyone think there might be a better comobanation of cities in the same areas? I would like to do most of the trip (including a day trip to Monte Carlo while in Nice) by train if at all possible just to avoid headaches, but I am open to some suggestions. Anyone have any experience booking their train travel in advance?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Dec 19, 2005, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by pwdump
I am getting ready to book my honeymoon for July. The tentative plan is to start in Nice, continue on to Como, and end in Venice (over 12 nights or so). Just wondering what suggestions anyone would have on Starwood properties in those locations would be best for a honeymoon.

Also, anyone think there might be a better comobanation of cities in the same areas? I would like to do most of the trip (including a day trip to Monte Carlo while in Nice) by train if at all possible just to avoid headaches, but I am open to some suggestions. Anyone have any experience booking their train travel in advance?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Train travel in Europe is very convinient. I have never booked train travel "in advance". I would recommend booking the travel once you get to the city (say Nice). There are quite a few trains/connections and you can almost always find seats. I have done this quite a bit with good results.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 12:54 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
With Le Meridien now part of Starwood you would have a choice between the Le Meridien and Four Points in Nice.

Much of the allure of the Cote D'Azur is the scenic setting -- while the train is convenient to really experience the Riviera I think renting a car (with or without driver) to go to Monaco and points in between like St. Paul de Vence for example.

We did a day trip to Monaco, from Cannes, with a car and driver, stopping in Eze, Grasse, St. Paul de Vence, and Nice along the way, taking the middle corniche.... we returned via the highway...

Enjoy your trip!!
Old Dec 19, 2005, 1:45 pm

As they have yet to build a high speed train track system along the coast i would avoid the train. Take the car and you will have a better experience in my opinion. Nice is not all that great and in my view you are better staying at St.Raphael or le lavandou or hyeres(giens) would be nice. the le meridien property at Juan les Pins looks really nice too i would probably stay there.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/GS, SPG Gold
PW,

Congratulations!

Though I am slightly biased (having personally honeymooned in Italy), I can't imagine a better destination to celebrate your marriage.

Como, and Italy's lake region in general, is gorgeous and as romantic as they come. The same holds true for Venice (though Venice will cost you an arm and a leg). Nice, however, which was the first stop on our honeymoon, is not as memorable. And, to be honest, neither is Monaco...at least not in the same way a town like Bellagio on Como is, or winding though the narrows of Venice.

If I could be so bold as to suggest an alternative, I would highly recommend that you select the Isle of Capri (off the Amalfi Coast) over Nice. - You can fly in via Naples, spend a few nights on Capri, and then move North to the Lake Country via train. This destination has the charm and romance on par with the other two locations you listed.

There are two wonderful Hotels on Capri with which I have personal experience - The Gato Bianco for simple accomodations (simple, but nice), or the Grand Hotel Quisisana (5 stars and equal prices).

Just this past June, my wife and I spent some time in and around Venice and noted some very nice Starwood properties there. - We attempted to book at least one night (after failing at booking two) at the Hotel Gritti Palace in Venice, but it was sold out. - We stopped in to see it first hand while we were there and it is everything you could imagine about an old Venetian Palace - Wow! We vowed to return and one day stay there...but not until we accumulated more spg points.

We did, however, find room in the Hotel Villa Cipriani (another Starwood property) located in the Venetto about a 2 hour drive outside of Venice - The Villa was located in the charming old town of Asolo in a region dotted with the palaces of Venice merchants of old (some of which were open for tours). - I have no idea if you could get to Asolo by train - we had a rental car, but the accomodations, staff and food were wonderful.

Cheers, and happy planning,

~radio

Last edited by radio flyer; Dec 21, 2005 at 12:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.