Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Starwood Vienna: which one? [Master Thread]

Starwood Vienna: which one? [Master Thread]

Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you're considering the RC and especially don't plan to pay for lounge access, think instead about the Imperial (LC). It's very Viennese and a lot of fun if you like the iconic historical palace properties.
Agreed. Imperial is the best, for me.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:12 pm

Seems like on of the Design Hotes in Vienna; The Guesthouse; left SPG
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by olivedel
Agreed. Imperial is the best, for me.
I am SPG gold member and planning to stay 3 days in Vienna. I will be traveling with family(2 kids), which Marriott/SPG hotel is good for me(will be using points) in terms of free breakfast/close to downtown or activities.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:32 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
We also will be in Vienna at the Imperial in Oct. Can't wait.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:28 pm
Community Director Emerita

I am curious as to whether anyone has tried the Do & Co, the Design Hotel offering. It's immediately across from St Stephen's Cathedral so in the absolute heart of the inner ring.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I am curious as to whether anyone has tried the Do & Co, the Design Hotel offering. It's immediately across from St Stephen's Cathedral so in the absolute heart of the inner ring.
Yes, see my post (#226) for a very favorable review from last fall. Paid entirely with SPG points, taking me to nil, when the SPG / Marriott points valuation was still up in the air.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Yes, see my post (#226) for a very favorable review from last fall. Paid entirely with SPG points, taking me to nil, when the SPG / Marriott points valuation was still up in the air.
Thank you. I've bumped it below. I appreciate the review. We ate at their restaurant as it was open on Sunday when many are closed. It was ok but we had several amazing meals elsewhere on our visit.

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Just stayed at DO & CO exclusively using points (20k / night) for a 3-night stay in Vienna. As Gold who's not on pace to make Gold next year, I wasn't expecting any special treatment. Instead, without making any request, we received one of the larger rooms, and, IMO, one of the better layouts. It had a courtyard balcony and, unlike the other rooms, did not have the bathroom in the middle of the floorplan.

Pros:
Location: Next to St. Stephen's Cathedral and U-Bahn-Station Stephansplatz. You could not ask for a more central location in Vienna!
Front desk staff (6th floor): Fluent in English and very helpful in making reservations around town.
Street noise: Surprisingly negligible, in part owing to the hotel being located in a pedestrian zone.
Porter service: Very helpful in getting bags to cars in a pedestrian zone.
Toiletries: Good but not great quality.
Maid service: Room was spotless when we returned for the evening.
Turn-down service: Chocolates and waters nightly.
Electronics: Good channel selection on TV, and charging stations / plugs conveniently located throughout.
Jacuzzi: Huge!

Cons:
Very few rooms, so book early (esp. during high tourist season)
Light switch placement makes no sense at all, and "what turns on what" was nonsensical.
DO & CO restaurant: Must make reservations well in advance, and I didn't find the menu appealing.
Wear and tear: Could use a touch up on paint and polishing in some spots, but that's being very nit-picky.

All in all, we'd stay here again in a heartbeat.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Thank you. I've bumped it below. I appreciate the review. We ate at their restaurant as it was open on Sunday when many are closed. It was ok but we had several amazing meals elsewhere on our visit.
Really surprised about both of the luke warm comments on the restaurant. That is really what Do&Co is known for so I was expecting that to be the highlight of a stay at the hotel. Guess not!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: US CP, AA Plat, DL Silver, EY Gold, Kimpton IC, SPG Plat
I've had a few meals at Do & Co. Two were exceptional and one rather ordinary.

What is not ordinary is the view if you sit outside or by a window. That's consistently special. The bar lounge is also a nice area to grab a drink while you wait for your outside table.

The only thing I can't recommend is the sushi.

Also worth noting, the company has a catering business that services a number of airlines depending on route:

http://www.doco.com/en/airline/customer-portfolio
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by tangel
Also worth noting, the company has a catering business that services a number of airlines depending on route:

http://www.doco.com/en/airline/customer-portfolio
I think Do&Co does all the catering for Austrian Airlines.....at least they have for all the Business Class flight I have been on between the US and VIE and all the intra-European ones. One of the main reasons their food is 100% better than the crap LH serves in Business Class which is almost inedible!

As for view, I don't want to take this thread too far off topic but if your looking for a hotel restaurant with a view in Vienna you need to go to Das Loft at the Sofitel Vienna.

Last edited by christianj; Aug 17, 2017 at 7:23 am
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by concordian
I am SPG gold member and planning to stay 3 days in Vienna. I will be traveling with family(2 kids), which Marriott/SPG hotel is good for me(will be using points) in terms of free breakfast/close to downtown or activities.
This thread indicates that none of the SPG properties have a lounge. As an SPG gold, breakfast is not one of your benefits (that's only for plats) so that leaves the full-service Marriott properties where gold does get you breakfast. The Vienna Marriott has a good location and will allow you to book a double double (if you all want to be in one room) but there are also two Renaissance hotels.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
This thread indicates that none of the SPG properties have a lounge. As an SPG gold, breakfast is not one of your benefits (that's only for plats) so that leaves the full-service Marriott properties where gold does get you breakfast. The Vienna Marriott has a good location and will allow you to book a double double (if you all want to be in one room) but there are also two Renaissance hotels.
Thank you for your reply. I booked Vienna Marriott for my trip. I booked a single room for 4 of us but then thought that it may be small and went with 2 rooms. Kids will be 13 and 11 at the time of travel.

Do you think one room will be ok?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:19 pm

Thank you for your reply. I booked Vienna Marriott for my trip. I booked a single room for 4 of us but then thought that it may be small and went with 2 rooms. Kids will be 13 and 11 at the time of travel.

Bigger question is if they even allow 4 people in ONE room. Check the occupancy.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:09 pm

I encourage you to post in this thread to reach people knowledgeable with the property.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator

That's more of a personal comfort question. We've done it many times and it's fine; just makes for a crowded bathroom. Ask in the thread SD1K linked if the Marriott has connecting rooms if you want two rooms since putting two kids alone in a room nearby maybe be outside your comfort zone.

To answer the "will they allow four in a room" question, it seems like they have a true (US style) double double. It was easy to do a booking using points for 4 in a room (two adults and two kids) so it seems like the Vienna Marriott is one of the few hotels in Europe that does allow this. By the way, the two Renaissance didn't come up searching for one room for four people on Marriott's website.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.