Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Starwood Vienna: which one? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2005, 4:50 pm

Programs: AGR Select +
We have stayed at the Bristol twice, and both experiences were excellent. The first stay, our teenage daughter was with us. We had a beautiful room, with a fireplace and lovely view of the opera house. Service was excellent in every way. I cannot recall if breakfast was included. I am a Plat, so I was probably upgraded. There was a small lounge to the left of the entry hall with several pieces of art (paintings & statues). The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. The location is absolutely perfect for Vienna. Will definately stay there again on my next visit.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 3:39 pm

Stayed here this weekend ( On a free weekend award from the recent promo)and had a great time.

As plat was upgraded to a large 2 room Opera view suite. Very very nice.

Fruit plat as plat gift and a 50% of a drink at the bar voucher.

Service & Staff top draw. Would stay here again.

Only slight dissapointment was breakfast. Over priced and not all that good, but everyting else about my stay was fantastic.

I would reccomend for breakfast trying the Cafe Mozart around the corner.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 6:05 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite

Gang,

My partner and I will be returning from an anniversary trip to Cairo in late November and I added a stopover in Vienna.

Would anyone have suggestions on which Starwood property I should try to get a reservation at in Vienna?

Thanks,

William
Old Mar 5, 2005, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
William,

We stayed at the Bristol last summer (as a Platinum). We enjoyed it very much. Got a very nice upgraded room. They called it a suite, but YMMV. The room had a balcony that provided some nice views. This hotel is across from the Opera, and centrally located. You might say it's right in the center of the dart board.

Dan
Old Mar 5, 2005, 8:09 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
The Imperial has nicer rooms ,lobby, and a bigger Hotel feel . The Bristol is a great property also with a better location, as the previous poster put it,in the center of the dart board. For One night I would choose the Bristol.
They were good to us also with a nice upgrade to a suite with a balcony overlooking the Opera.
The buisness center room also has high speed internet that you can use for free if someone forgets to sign out as they seemed to do all the time.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:26 am
tyn

You don't mention how long your stayover will be. If just a couple of day choose the Bristol, that way you step out of the hotel and are already right in the centre. The Imperial is not that far but that little extra walk can kill you if you've been sightseeing around all day.
Also I find the Bristol less "dusty" style-wise and my room had a CD player (the one at the Imperial had a jacuzzi though
Old Mar 5, 2005, 11:44 am

We would be arriving at about 6 pm in the evening... and staying for three nights. So, just a short stopover.

By November, I am sure I will no longer even be a GOLD member... so certainly not expecting any special treatment.

William
Old Mar 5, 2005, 2:58 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
wharvey, when in November are you going? My first visit to Vienna was at the end of November 2002 and it was beautiful -- the City Hall had the Christmas Market set up and it was splendid.

I stayed at the Imperial and though it was a little further down the Ringstrasse than the Bristol, I felt it that it represented Vienna, as centre of the Hapsburg Empire, quite well. The Imperial is most convenient if you are going to a concert at the Musikverein, as the the concert halls are right behind the hotel. You must catch a concert in Vienna, especially the Vienna Philharmonic. The Head Concierge of the Imperial, Mr. Michael Moser, is very good at securing tickets for concerts and operas.

My friend who was travelling with me was SPG Gold so the Imperial upgraded us from a Deluxe room to a Junior suite which was great, on the 3rd floor, overlooking the Kartnerstrasse outside the hotel. About 50m2 it had queen size bed, sitting area, desk and chaise longue in the main room, bathroom with separate shower stall, and a small walk in closet upon entry. The mouldings and plasterwork, as the chandelier, were impressive.

The food at the Cafe Imperial was awesome and the Imperial Torte is the best!! Beats the Sacher Torte hands down!! The buffet breakfast includes champagne and Imperial Torte..... heavenly!! unless, of course, it is not included in your room rate, then the 33 Euro per person hurts.

We viewed rooms at the Bristol and found them to be rather small as compared to the rooms at the Imperial (we were shown a couple additional rooms). However, being right in the thick of things was nice.

I am returning to Vienna in June -- for the season finale concert of the Vienna Philharmonic (Christian Thielemann, all Strauss programme for anyone interested) -- and will be staying at the Bristol this time using *points. We are booked into a Junior Suite, which sounds like what other posters here have stayed in. Can post report after our stay.

Don't forget to go to Fieglmuller, a heuriger which is famous for its schnitzel, near St. Stephens. Of course it is quite touristy but the night we went we were outnumbered by locals (Austrian German sounds different from Germany German). Or Plachutta for Tafelspitz. Demel for pastries....
Old Mar 5, 2005, 5:07 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
For those who have stayed in the Bristol over the summer, how was the air conditioning? The reports have tripadvisor say the air conditioning is a joke. I'm deciding between the Bristol and another hotel.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 6:34 pm

We will be in Vienna Nov 29 - Dec 2... and I was hoping to use Starwood Points.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luxury
(Austrian German sounds different from Germany German).
And the Austrians will be insulted if you compare them to the Germans. It will make for interesting conversation in the right crowd.

As for the air conditioning... Same goes for cold water (in the summertime). It's like that in Europe. They don't know how to waste the right way.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:04 am
tyn

Originally Posted by wharvey
We will be in Vienna Nov 29 - Dec 2... and I was hoping to use Starwood Points.
That's great cause the traditional Christmas markets will be set up already and they'll be selling hot toddies in the street

The two hotels are managed as a complex, that means one General Manager for both. I would drop him an inquiry through Customer Service and check which hotel offers best opportunities for an upgrade
Old Mar 7, 2005, 4:27 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA PLT
Mrs. DFWILE and I are heading to the Imperial (on the recommendation of many) for three days in April to celebrate our first anniversary. Using points for the Junior Suite. Does anyone have any must does (or must don'ts) for VIE at this time of year (Apr 9-12)? Been to western Austria, but never VIE.

Thanks.

DFWILE
Old Mar 7, 2005, 6:44 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by DFWILE
Mrs. DFWILE and I are heading to the Imperial (on the recommendation of many) for three days in April to celebrate our first anniversary. Using points for the Junior Suite. Does anyone have any must does (or must don'ts) for VIE at this time of year (Apr 9-12)? Been to western Austria, but never VIE.

Thanks.

DFWILE
Walking around Vienna and looking at the architecture, drinking hot chocolate, and eating apple struedel is amazing I would also strongly recommend going to the Hapsburg Palace - wonderful place! The gardens should be starting to bloom now as well. The art museum, the graves of Mozart, and the other musicians is also fun to visit.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Take the tram in front of the hotel. It will take you on a 30 minute loop highlighting Vienna. Good way to get a lay of the land.

Take a tour of the Opera .
Walk to St. Stephan Cathedral Plenty to look/see in this area.
Spend time at Hofburg Palace and Kaiser Apartments (fee).
Schonbrunn Palace

You can spend multiple days at the various museums.

Eat Sacher Torte. ^

Have fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.