Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
Hotel email: [email protected]

Latest Email: [email protected]

As of April 2024:
Resort fee inclusions / hotel details: https://ipoolside-media.s3.amazonaws...tivities_2.pdf

Elite Breakfast offering: https://www.kaimarketwaikiki.com/our-menus (look for the elite benefits)

Parking: Self-Parking $55.00 per night / Valet $65.00 per night

Print Wikipost

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Resort fee is not waived for anyone regardless of method of payment.
You need to review a few of the posts in this thread.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by margarita girl
You need to review a few of the posts in this thread.
Luck is not the same as policy - I've had the fee waived once, years ago, and only by a check in clerk who was new and easily swayed. I haven't had the same luck since then, nor anyone I know who stayed here. Maybe it's the luck of the draw, but I wouldn't bank on it.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by worldtravel123
Yes, there is a number you can call (folks at the pool can provide) to reserve in advance.

Yes to Jones

Murphy bed was good - better than a pull out couch!
Would you happen to have this phone number to reserve the "platinum" chairs? Or should I call / email the hotel for it?

Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:42 pm

Resort fee is not waived for anyone regardless of method of payment.
Luck is not the same as policy - I've had the fee waived once, years ago, and only by a check in clerk who was new and easily swayed. I haven't had the same luck since then, nor anyone I know who stayed here. Maybe it's the luck of the draw, but I wouldn't bank on it.
Asked for the fee to be waived on a recent stay, it was waived. I would have to pay for any of the items listed in the charge a la carte. Did not use any of them.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by caburrito
Asked for the fee to be waived on a recent stay, it was waived. I would have to pay for any of the items listed in the charge a la carte. Did not use any of them.
This is good news if it's a change in policy or a new trend - I don't use any of those items on the list either, nor am I going to use any of the beach equipment, so having the fee waived is a definite differentiator vs staying at another property that won't waive the fee.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I go to Waikiki 3-4 times per year and have 20-30 stays at the SW. I’ve NEVER paid the resort fee so not a new thing. I just ask politely at check in to pay a la carte for what I use. I believe this is a courtesy extended to Plat members only.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:31 pm

Also the local rate or the Kamaaina rate usually does not have the resort fee and comes with free parking. Just need a Hawaii ID to get it
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: HA - Pualani Plat; Avis FIRST; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by Xu Guan
Also the local rate or the Kamaaina rate usually does not have the resort fee and comes with free parking. Just need a Hawaii ID to get it
There are actually two different Kamaaina Rates
1) standard kamaaina rate - resort fee included
2) KAMVIP - resort fee waived
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:31 pm

Just checked in and referred to this thread. I had two rooms so resort fee was waived for one. I still had to pay for parking. Lounge access was granted for both rooms so that was nice. I wished they had a more formal policy about waiving resort/parking fees. I also had to ask for my platinum goodie bag so check in wasn’t as nice as a Platinum.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My favorite FD agent advised me today that Marriott is cracking down, and as of Jan 1, they are no longer allowed to waive the resort fee for Platinum members.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Not sure if it's becuase the Marriott people discovered they have better options with SPG in Hawaii or something else, but the Leahi Club lounge seems to be filled with a lot more kids and large families than before. The staff tries their best, but they are going to need more cleaning of the carpet. Perhaps they split the time: families from 4-6 and adults only from 6-8?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's always like this. Sheraton Waikiki attracts a lot of families with children because of the great kids' pool. If you want peace and quiet, go to the Moana Surfrider.

I met with Kelly Sanders a few years ago and mentioned this to him. I think they introduced some stuff to keep the kids busy (coloring books, etc) but I haven't seen any lately. Rug rats are running amok in the lounge again.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
I believe lounge access is free for those who pay for a suite. Alternatively you can pay $125/night per room for lounge access.

Great review. Thanks
I have a question I have never stayed at the Surfrider in 40 years does it have a concierge lounge ? would one stay there or here ?

serious question
Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I go to HNL, I usually stay at both hotels as they are a 5 min walk from each other. They both have excellent lounges. The Sheraton's lounge is on the 30th floor with a stunning view of Diamond Head. The Moana's lounge is on the ground floor with an outdoor patio that is right on the beach, so that is fabulous for sitting outdoors for breakfast or to relax on the couches while sipping wine in the evening. I find there are more children in the SW lounge than the MS lounge.

The food is similar at both. At breakfast, the SW has been serving pineapple and watermelon for breakfast for the last 8 yrs (plus there is whole fruit like bananas and oranges). MS has a better variety of fruit (papaya, mango, melon). They both have scrambled eggs. The potatoes change at the SW but they don't at the MS. SW serves hot meat (ham, sausage, bacon). MS only serves cold cuts. They both have miso soup.

In the evening, SW puts out the wine/beer for guests to serve themselves. MS lounge attendants serve you, but your glass is never empty. They both have edamame in the evening. When I was there a few days ago, the MS only had 1 additional hot dish. I think they used to have 2, so not sure if that's new or just an off day.

I have a copy of the updated SW breakfast and evening menu which I will post in the next day or so.

Suites are much harder to come by at the MS, but their regular Plat upgrade is a decent tower room with a balcony. I get suites 90% of the time at the SW (I'm there a lot), but the regular non-suite upgrade is an ocean front room which is on the small side (280 sq ft).

I used to do more nights at the SW as they waived the resort fee for Platinums (actually you paid a la carte for the items you used), but I was told Marriott put an end to that as of Jan 2018. SW also 2 large pools, one for children and one for adults. MS has one tiny pool for everyone.

Last edited by margarita girl; Feb 10, 2018 at 9:22 pm
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
When I go to HNL, I usually stay at both hotels as they are a 5 min walk from each other. They both have excellent lounges. The Sheraton's lounge is on the 30th floor with a stunning view of Diamond Head. The Moana's lounge is on the ground floor with an outdoor patio that is right on the beach, so that is fabulous for sitting outdoors for breakfast or to relax on the couches while sipping wine in the evening. I find there are more children in the SW lounge than the MS lounge.

The food is similar at both. At breakfast, the SW has been serving pineapple and watermelon for breakfast for the last 8 yrs (plus there is whole fruit like bananas and oranges). MS has a better variety of fruit (papaya, mango, melon). They both have scrambled eggs. The potatoes change at the SW but they don't at the MS. SW serves hot meat (ham, sausage, bacon). MS only serves cold cuts. They both have miso soup.

In the evening, SW puts out the wine/beer for guests to serve themselves. MS lounge attendants serve you, but your glass is never empty. They both have edamame in the evening. When I was there a few days ago, the MS only had 1 additional hot dish. I think they used to have 2, so not sure if that's new or just an off day.

I have a copy of the updated SW breakfast and evening menu which I will post in the next day or so.

Suites are much harder to come by at the MS, but their regular Plat upgrade is a decent tower room with a balcony. I get suites 90% of the time at the SW (I'm there a lot), but the regular non-suite upgrade is an ocean front room which is on the small side (280 sq ft).

I used to do more nights at the SW as they waived the resort fee for Platinums (actually you paid a la carte for the items you used), but I was told Marriott put an end to that as of Jan 2018. SW also 2 large pools, one for children and one for adults. MS has one tiny pool for everyone.
Thank you I have "known" these properties forever and a day just never stayed there before the merger. Dropped the Hyatt rat race when they did what they did !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.