Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
Hotel email: [email protected]

Latest Email: [email protected]

As of April 2024:
Resort fee inclusions / hotel details: https://ipoolside-media.s3.amazonaws...tivities_2.pdf

Elite Breakfast offering: https://www.kaimarketwaikiki.com/our-menus (look for the elite benefits)

Parking: Self-Parking $55.00 per night / Valet $65.00 per night

Print Wikipost

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Nov 1, 2007, 9:18 am

Sheraton Waikiki

Hi guys will be staying at sheraton waikiki in jan 08, anyone stayed there before ?? comments, any promos that are available for spg members that you know off for that period..
Old Nov 1, 2007, 9:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by niruben
Hi guys will be staying at sheraton waikiki in jan 08, anyone stayed there before ?? comments, any promos that are available for spg members that you know off for that period..
Hi niruben. Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Yes, a few people have stayed here. In fact, there is a Master Thread devoted this hotel. I'm merging your post into that thread.

As for promos, have a look at the SPG Forum FAQ & Primary Resource Thread, which is listed at the top of the SPG forum. You'll find threads with promos, as well as more threads about hotels in Waikiki.

-AZ
SPG Forum Moderator
Old Feb 29, 2008, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This thread has been dormant for awhile...any recent reports on the Sheraton Waikiki experience post-reno?

I am debating between the SW and Moana for my 50% off stay - each hotel has pluses and minuses, but the SW has been my stomping ground for years pre-reno, and I never tried the Moana. I haven't been back to the SW since the reno was complete, so now I'm up in the air - choose the Moana and get a standard Westin experience, or go for the SW and try out the new rooms?
Old Feb 29, 2008, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by bocastephen
This thread has been dormant for awhile...any recent reports on the Sheraton Waikiki experience post-reno?

I am debating between the SW and Moana for my 50% off stay - each hotel has pluses and minuses, but the SW has been my stomping ground for years pre-reno, and I never tried the Moana. I haven't been back to the SW since the reno was complete, so now I'm up in the air - choose the Moana and get a standard Westin experience, or go for the SW and try out the new rooms?
bocastephen, steer clear of Sheraton Waikiki!!

IMHO, it sucks, even after renovation. My last 2 stays there were okay. I mean, the staff was very very accommodating, but their amenities were lacking. My first stay, I was upgraded to their Premier Suite (the highest level?) It was huge with great oceanfront view. HOWEVER, I felt like I taken back to the 60's and everything in the room was in extremely poor condition. It was also extremely dark (not revonated). So, on my second stay, we decided to ask for a renovated ocean front view instead of a suite. Well, I was still not impressed to say the least. The comforters had stains on them and it was clear that they didn't change the covers. It was gross. I had to call housekeeping to get extra sheets so I could make my own comforter. For a recently renovated room, the room already looked like its falling apart. Everything looked cheap, including the bathroom.

It's quite sad really because you could tell the hotel used extremely cheap materials that weren't going to last. It's such a shame because the staff members were extremely friendly.

Go to Moana. It's in a much better shape. It's brighter, fresher, and the service is a lot better. The rooms are in better shapes and as a plat, you will have access to the lounge.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 1:06 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BlissWorld

Go to Moana. It's in a much better shape. It's brighter, fresher, and the service is a lot better. The rooms are in better shapes and as a plat, you will have access to the lounge.
Thank you for your honest assessment. I am disappointed to hear this - from the photos, the new rooms looked great, but I imagine the combination of cheap material and a very high turnover rate could eventually create problems. I was hoping the fresh look would last longer.

I will give the Moana a try, then. I have fond memories of my stays at the SW, even before the renovation - sure, the rooms were very dated, but those views of Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head, and our morning ritual of buffet breakfast in the Hanohano Room and a morning walk to Kapiolani Park. Maybe the Moana will become our new favorite spot.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 1:16 pm

Programs: United GS, Starwood Platinum
i just stayed at the moana for a week, let me know if you need any info
Old Feb 29, 2008, 2:23 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Diam, MR Plat, AA Plat, CO Elite Plat., Hertz Gold
Boca,

I too was just at the Moana. I have stayed at all of the *wood properties on Oahu and Moana is by far the best.

1. It's a Westin
2. Great beach front (SW really sucks)
3. Good location
4. Historic property

Waiting to see how the Royal H turns out after reno's...

If you like a nice buffet breakfast with a view, check out Duke's next door to the Moana in the Outrigger W.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond

IMHO, it sucks, even after renovation. My last 2 stays there were okay. I mean, the staff was very very accommodating, but their amenities were lacking. My first stay, I was upgraded to their Premier Suite (the highest level?) It was huge with great oceanfront view. HOWEVER, I felt like I taken back to the 60's and everything in the room was in extremely poor condition. It was also extremely dark (not revonated). So, on my second stay, we decided to ask for a renovated ocean front view instead of a suite. Well, I was still not impressed to say the least. The comforters had stains on them and it was clear that they didn't change the covers. It was gross. I had to call housekeeping to get extra sheets so I could make my own comforter. For a recently renovated room, the room already looked like its falling apart. Everything looked cheap, including the bathroom.

It's quite sad really because you could tell the hotel used extremely cheap materials that weren't going to last. It's such a shame because the staff members were extremely friendly.

I've been in several of the renovated rooms. I disagree on the quality of the renovations and the materials used. Have not found the rooms to be in bad shape already, and didn't see the materials used as shoddy or cheap.

The suites have not been renovated, and they do need it badly.

The Moana is wonderful, as a suite-upgraded Platinum. With a standard room at the Moana, I'd say an ocean front at the Sheraton is as good or better. Certainly quieter!

Aloha
Old Feb 29, 2008, 3:52 pm

Thanks all!

Just booked the Moana for the first weekend in May - looking forward to trying a new property, and returning to Waikiki after so much time spent on other Islands.

18,000 for 3 nights is a pretty good deal, and I think that's probably a slow weekend, so I'm hoping for an upgrade to at least an ocean/diamond view.

Is the parking there all valet?

We will give Dukes at the Outrigger a try - the daily breakfast buffet (with Japanese options) at the Hanohano Room are long gone, so we won't be hiking down there - frankly, we've grown accustomed to dining out at the main floor restaurants that open to the beach.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clublounger
I've been in several of the renovated rooms. I disagree on the quality of the renovations and the materials used. Have not found the rooms to be in bad shape already, and didn't see the materials used as shoddy or cheap.
They were not in bad shape. But I just felt the room gave an overall cheap feeling. Maybe it's because of the really small LCD TV, or the metal sink, or the dirty and stained comforters, it just felt a bit tired. This was right after a stay at Westin Moana, where everything was brand spanking new and certainly more refreshed than SW.

Thanks all!
18,000 for 3 nights is a pretty good deal, and I think that's probably a slow weekend, so I'm hoping for an upgrade to at least an ocean/diamond view.

Is the parking there all valet?
Using the 50 PRG I see

No, parking is not all valet. You will have to go to Princess Kiulani (spelling is wrong, I know) across the street. Use their lot. When you check in at Westin Moana, tell them you have a car at the garage and they will give you a pass with in and out priviledge for $15 a day.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 7:41 pm

Using the 50 PRG I see

No, parking is not all valet. You will have to go to Princess Kiulani (spelling is wrong, I know) across the street. Use their lot. When you check in at Westin Moana, tell them you have a car at the garage and they will give you a pass with in and out priviledge for $15 a day.
Right down to the wire...but I couldn't let such a deal slip away, even though both properties had great cash+point deals available; but we'll save those for the summer.

How much is the valet at the Moana? The Kaiulani is abit of a hike compared to the garage attached to the SW, but I'm guessing it's still faster than waiting for the valet to bring the car over....and we need to walk off those plate lunches anyway.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How much is the valet at the Moana? The Kaiulani is abit of a hike compared to the garage attached to the SW, but I'm guessing it's still faster than waiting for the valet to bring the car over....and we need to walk off those plate lunches anyway.
I'm not sure how much valet is since I never used it. Seriously, the parking garage is just across the street of Moana! There is no walking other than walk across the street then up the stairs!! You can do it
Old Feb 29, 2008, 9:18 pm

I'm not sure how much valet is since I never used it. Seriously, the parking garage is just across the street of Moana! There is no walking other than walk across the street then up the stairs!! You can do it
Ah, for some reason I pictured the PK a few blocks closer to the canal...as you wrote, it is right across the street (doesn't make it any more appealing, though )...so self-park we shall.

After all this time on the Big Island and Kaua'i, it will be interesting to do the Waikiki 'crowd' thing again. I was going to combine it with a couple days on Lana'i, but both FS were sold out, so that idea will need to wait.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I just completed a short stay at the Sheraton Waikiki. The last time I stayed there was a few years ago and was less than impressed...to say the least. With the mediocre remodel they have done, it is better. I stayed here on a priceline bid...and that is the only way I would stay at this hotel again.

The room was obviously a product of the recent remodel. I had a king bed. The room was good sized....and it had very little furniture in it for the size room that it was. It looked funny with so little furniture in it. The desk was attached to the wall and very tiny. There was no chair at the desk...but instead a stool that was less than comfortable if one spent any time at all at the desk. The desk had some type of a white porous surface that was already stained. If you're going to put a white surface in a room...make sure it doesn't hold coffee stains! (The coffee maker was placed on the little surface...the desk was so small that one had to move off the coffee make if one wanted to use a laptop on the desk.)

This is what really ticked me off....they advertise having the 'sweet sleeper' but I could tell from the feel of the bed that it was not the sweet sleeper mattress. I looked and sure enough it was a Serta mattress....so that meant that it was not the sweet sleeper. I am sorry but they shouldn't be able to say that they have the sweet sleeper if it is not a Simmons Sweet Sleeper mattress. Someone commented on the tacky duvet that they use...I totally agree that it is tacky and it is clear that they aren't cleaning it too often. Yuck.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 12:59 am

as a plat that booked manor wing at this property, what kinda upgrade shall we be expected at this property?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.