Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

New Orleans: Which Starwood? 2006 on [Master Thread]

New Orleans: Which Starwood? 2006 on [Master Thread]

Old Jan 29, 2006, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood life Plt, AA Gold.,Delta . ,Priority Plat,IC Ambassador
Arrow New Orleans: Which Starwood? 2006 on [Master Thread]

greetings:

Spent New years at Sheraton NO, all well, no problems, all rooms seemed to be open, club was closed (given breakfast ticket for two), check in was excellent, up graded to club floor, watch indoor car parking...$30.00...don't know what else you could do though.....short walk to F.Q which was open and running well. This Sheraton missed the flood as did the F.Q. In all we had a nice stay . I think the F.Q W got hit hard but was open when we were there.

Have a nice stay..................
Old Jan 29, 2006, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
I have stayed several times at the Sheraton N.O. and it is doing quite well (only troubles are understaffed room service and valet parking--be prepared for a wait). The W New Orleans and W French Quarter open on 2/20, just in time for Mardi Gras--they appear to be open already for FEMA workers/contractors.
Old May 16, 2006, 7:45 am

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
I'm staying at the Sheraton right now. It was renovated ... and really, you'd never know there was a problem. The club level is great (got in as a Gold) -- good breakfast and appetizers in the evening. Rooms are nice with spectacular views.

And Bernard Hopkins is training for his big fight right downstairs!

I'd stay here again in a second.
Old May 16, 2006, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
I've stayed at the W F.Q. and W Poydras since Katrina (in the past three months), and my stays at each were wonderful. I was at the Poydras W a week after it opened, and the upper floors were still being renovated. Overall, my stay at the F.Q. was more pleasant, because I preferred the location and found the service to be superior. As they did not have in-room dining available when I was there, the hotel comped us two meals at Bacco, which included drinks.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Originally Posted by Uniter
I'm staying at the Sheraton right now. It was renovated ... and really, you'd never know there was a problem. The club level is great (got in as a Gold)

I'd stay here again in a second.
Same exactly for me 6/18-23 - If you can get over seeing holes in a third of the building's roofs between the Sheraton and the river.
Old May 8, 2007, 7:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, UA 1P, Marriot Silver
new orleans spg properties

i am looking for some help on spg properties in the new orleans area. anyone have any suggestions on the best property as for proximity to french quarter and in addition, best chance for an upgrade to a suite. i'll be on an award stay and have plat status. thanks
Old May 8, 2007, 8:35 pm

best chance for upgrade depends as always upon how busy the hotel is (you know that as a platinum, yes?)

W French Quarter is in the quarter. Less of a chance to upgrade at that property. Sheraton is next closest to the quarter, W is two blocks farther than the Sheraton.

We just stayed at the W FC last week. Great property - though if you want a fitness center stay elsewhere. Also, rooms that face the courtyard can be noisier, as can rooms that are adjacent to a nightclub on the next block.
Old May 9, 2007, 6:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by jginnyc
best chance for upgrade depends as always upon how busy the hotel is (you know that as a platinum, yes?)

W French Quarter is in the quarter. Less of a chance to upgrade at that property. Sheraton is next closest to the quarter, W is two blocks farther than the Sheraton.

100% spot on.

In order of French Quarter distance:

W French Quarter has very limited upgrades available and the regular rooms are REALLY small.

Sheraton is huge and generally I always received at least a junior suite.

W on Poydras - They have some wonderful suites - but upgrades are hit or miss, particularly depending on occupancy. I've heard complaints about noisy neighbors at this property, but I've never noticed - my stereo is always on too loud.
Old May 10, 2007, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 1K, DL Gold Medallion, SPG Platinum
I've stayed at both W's many times. The W New Orleans (outside the Quarter, on Poydras) is a considerably larger hotel than the W French Quarter (on Chartres). WNO is older, the staff is less friendly and the rooms are larger, but dingy sometimes. WFQ is a much better experience, in my opinion, though there's a marginal (<10 sq. ft.) sacrifice in the size of the room. Think of WNO like any other run-of-the-mill chain hotels and think of WFQ as a great boutique hotel with the benefit of being part of a larger chain.

As someone else mentioned, WFQ does not have a gym, though I think its pool is much nicer than WNO. Guests from WFQ can use the facilities at WNO, but I find the pool at WFQ much better anyway, with a single caveat: the space is much more limited so you'd better get a lounge chair early as they're bound to go quickly on nicer days.

The last benefit that I would say sets WFQ above WNO in terms of luxury and potential for a better experience is the courtyard. WFQ has a beautiful courtyard (adjacent to the pool) that's just really nice to relax in at night. WNO has a small courtyard but it's kind of on top of the road (Poydras Street) and therefore, not nearly as attractive.

No matter where you stay, try to get reservations at Bacco (directly next door to WFQ and also provider of in-room-dining services for WFQ) and/or Emeril's Delmonico (Emeril's on Tchoupitoulas is great, too, but I find Nola to be overrated).

Hope this was helpful.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 7:38 pm

Programs: CO OnePass
Need advice on stay in New Orleans

All, need some advice on Starwood hotels in the French Quarter in New Orleans. I'm getting married there in about 6 weeks (reception at the Omni Royal Orleans, unfortunately couldn't get something worked out at a Starwood property) and will be staying from a Wednesday to Saturday. Getting a suite would really help out with the planning, coordination, etc. (central meeting place). I'm Plat with Starwood.

As of now I'm thinking of staying at the Sheraton, simply because I think my chances of getting upgraded are the best there, given the fact that I definitely want to stay as close to the French Quarter as possible. Most of our guests are staying at the Marriott and the Courtyard, so proximity to those hotels is also important.

I would really appreciate if anyone has any advice on choosing between the 3 hotels (W, Westin and Sheraton). After I make my reservation, should I call the hotel in advance and request an upgrade, letting them know the situation?

Thanks in advance,
-rxn20
Old Aug 10, 2008, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Of the three listed perhaps the Sheraton would be the best choice.
But I am curious-and this is coming from a die hard SPG point junkie-but doesn't the hotel where the reception is usually make some sort of deal for a suite for the couple?

Now you do not mention Marriott,but I know that you can get a nice boatload of bonus points by hosting your meeting/party/reception at one of their properties-I am kinda thinking that Starwood does the same thing.
I know one of the posters here did an event at the Sheraton and he was very impressed with how well the property handled things.And if someone put all of that unto an SPG amex!Just think-the points would probably cover the hotel for the honeymoon.Also the Sheraton is right across the street from the Marriott and just down the block from the JW Marriott.I do not know which CY you are refering to.

Now-if you are willing to spring for a suite than the W grench quarter has a couple of knockout Terrace Suites-but I would just pay for them and not leave an upgrade to chance on such an important event.

Congrats and good luck.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Of the three listed perhaps the Sheraton would be the best choice.
But I am curious-and this is coming from a die hard SPG point junkie-but doesn't the hotel where the reception is usually make some sort of deal for a suite for the couple?
Yep, we do get a suite at the Royal Orleans on the night of the reception, but I need a hotel for Wednesday-Friday nights, as neither of us live in NO any longer, so we're going to be staying in town a few days before the wedding on Saturday night.
Thanks for your advice so far!
Old Aug 10, 2008, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by rxn20
All, need some advice on Starwood hotels in the French Quarter in New Orleans. I'm getting married there in about 6 weeks (reception at the Omni Royal Orleans, unfortunately couldn't get something worked out at a Starwood property) and will be staying from a Wednesday to Saturday. Getting a suite would really help out with the planning, coordination, etc. (central meeting place). I'm Plat with Starwood.

As of now I'm thinking of staying at the Sheraton, simply because I think my chances of getting upgraded are the best there, given the fact that I definitely want to stay as close to the French Quarter as possible. Most of our guests are staying at the Marriott and the Courtyard, so proximity to those hotels is also important.

I would really appreciate if anyone has any advice on choosing between the 3 hotels (W, Westin and Sheraton). After I make my reservation, should I call the hotel in advance and request an upgrade, letting them know the situation?

Thanks in advance,
-rxn20
Have you to look at the Master threads?

My choices, 1) Sheraton, 2) W Poydras & 3)Westin Canal Place.

Sounds like we need a New Orleans General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is closer? Which is better? etc.) thread.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Have you to look at the Master threads?

My choices, 1) Sheraton, 2) W Poydras & 3)Westin Canal Place.
Yes, I have looked at those threads, but my question has more to do with the hotels specifically in the French Quarter, rather than New Orleans in general.

Looks like I will probably just go with the Sheraton...interestingly enough, all three FQ hotels are the same amount of points per night. Seems a little odd to me that a Sheraton would be the same amount of points as a W...
Old Aug 11, 2008, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by rxn20
Yes, I have looked at those threads, but my question has more to do with the hotels specifically in the French Quarter, rather than New Orleans in general.

Looks like I will probably just go with the Sheraton...interestingly enough, all three FQ hotels are the same amount of points per night. Seems a little odd to me that a Sheraton would be the same amount of points as a W...
All the hotels we've discussed ARE LOCATED in the French Quarter/CBD. Downtown New Orleans isn't that big. Walk time between anyone one of the downtown New Orleans properties should be no more than 5-10 minutes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.