Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Four Points Minneapolis/St Paul being Levelled

Old Jul 22, 2005, 8:30 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club

Ironically this week I was staying at the FP Capital in Minneapolis and mentioned that to one of my clients (an architectural firm) and it turns out they had just come from a meeting there. It seems the property has been sold to Target, they are tearing down the hotel and putting in a super target. Front desk at the hotel confirmed this today. Target date is Oct 31 but feeling is it will happen sooner.

Really not sure this is a great loss overall (except for the fact that the Minneapolis area needs more reasonably priced hotels, new properties all seem to be high end). The FP was an older property, not overly clean, kinda dark and just had a weird atmosphere (one of those where you cant decide what you think of it) but at $89 a night it was liveable. Isnt in the greatest neighborhood either.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 9:45 pm
Suspended

wow. i stayed there last night and have upcoming reservations.

1) it's not THAT bad
2) they just put in new beds. the guy at the front desk told me i had one of their "best rooms" with new beds. why would they put new beds in a hotel that is about to see a wrecking ball up close and personal?

edited to add: wait a second. there are two four points in the area. the first if the four points minneapolis. the second is the four points st. paul. but, your title says "four points minneapolis/st. paul." which one is being destroyed?
Old Jul 23, 2005, 4:49 am
ewj

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG PLAT, NWA Plat
FP Capital is really in St. Paul and is a dump, even the local community wants it gone. The only decent thing are the daily rates. A better location can be had closer to the Capital and the area is heavy retail so is somewhat out of place. Its biggest client is the college across the highway (lots of special events) and low cost travelers.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 7:53 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
It is called the Four Points Capital, it is on Hamline street right off of 94 near Concordia University. I agree it wasnt THAT bad, like I said, it was one of those properties that one minute you think this is kind of a nice hotel, then you look at it again and say maybe not, it is one you cant decide what to think of. The elevators did have the signs about the sheraton beds, but I KNOW what I was sleeping on was NOT a new bed.

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
wow. i stayed there last night and have upcoming reservations.

1) it's not THAT bad
2) they just put in new beds. the guy at the front desk told me i had one of their "best rooms" with new beds. why would they put new beds in a hotel that is about to see a wrecking ball up close and personal?

edited to add: wait a second. there are two four points in the area. the first if the four points minneapolis. the second is the four points st. paul. but, your title says "four points minneapolis/st. paul." which one is being destroyed?
Old Jul 23, 2005, 7:56 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

I agree would love to see a property go in nearer to the Capital. I ended up there because I booked late and it was pretty much all that was left in the area. Dump is maybe pushing it a little, but it id definitely older and outdated and needed some upkeep. Anyway, it is about to become a super Target, which as the poster said will fit in much better in that location.

Originally Posted by ewj
FP Capital is really in St. Paul and is a dump, even the local community wants it gone. The only decent thing are the daily rates. A better location can be had closer to the Capital and the area is heavy retail so is somewhat out of place. Its biggest client is the college across the highway (lots of special events) and low cost travelers.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 10:06 am
ewj

Originally Posted by Lehava
I agree would love to see a property go in nearer to the Capital. I ended up there because I booked late and it was pretty much all that was left in the area. Dump is maybe pushing it a little, but it id definitely older and outdated and needed some upkeep. Anyway, it is about to become a super Target, which as the poster said will fit in much better in that location.

Only In America, within 1 mile of each other.

A Super Target, Super Walmart, Cub Foods, Rainbow Foods, Borders Books, and a Sears.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 1:48 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ewj
Only In America, within 1 mile of each other.

A Super Target, Super Walmart, Cub Foods, Rainbow Foods, Borders Books, and a Sears.

Wait you missed adding one thing, and all that within 10 miles of the Mall of America *smile*

You know what is really weird abotu that are though. They have all those stores but no real "chain" places to eat. I drove all through that area looking for a Ruby Tuesdays, TGI Fridays, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, something I recognized and unless I just missed the street they are on (I drove down University Ave and most of the side streets off it) they just werent there. I was shocked usually around a set of those stores you have the traditional chains.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Wow, I just stayed there last week also. The rooms and beds were really fine. Cant say too much about the public areas because I didnt use them. It does have the slightly dated "Holidome" feel to it, but it was $88 and everything else in town was $175+ (except maybe Hamptons). There was NOTHING abailable at the airport. Yes, I know I should have booked earlier in the summertime.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 5:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Wait you missed adding one thing, and all that within 10 miles of the Mall of America *smile*

You know what is really weird abotu that are though. They have all those stores but no real "chain" places to eat. I drove all through that area looking for a Ruby Tuesdays, TGI Fridays, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, something I recognized and unless I just missed the street they are on (I drove down University Ave and most of the side streets off it) they just werent there. I was shocked usually around a set of those stores you have the traditional chains.
Ruby Tuesdays, TGIF, Olive Gardens and the like are found more so in the suburbs than in Minneapolis proper. Did you drive down Hennepin at all? 533 Hennepin has an Olive Gardens.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 4:59 pm
ewj

The area is more of a mom/pop place with places much better then chains. If you have internat access next time check out citysearch.com put in the zip code. I use it or check the local online newspaper for places to eat.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 8:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
there's already a Target store there behind the hotel on University. there's a glut of big-box stores around there already. sheesh! OK so the hotel isn't so great but there really aren't that many in St Paul.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 5:21 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bbkenney
Wow, I just stayed there last week also. The rooms and beds were really fine. Cant say too much about the public areas because I didnt use them. It does have the slightly dated "Holidome" feel to it, but it was $88 and everything else in town was $175+ (except maybe Hamptons). There was NOTHING abailable at the airport. Yes, I know I should have booked earlier in the summertime.
That was why I ended up there too, even the Hamptons werent available (for over 50 miles around Minneapolis as a matter of fact). Glad you did better on the bed, mine was HORRIBLE. If you look I actually had an earlier post asking if anyone knew what this building used to be as I was wondering exactly what you said, if it was a holiday inn at one point. Although the facade looks very office building-ish.

Too bad I didnt know you were there, we could have had a drink (had a few drink coupons they gave me at check in *smile*)
Old Jul 25, 2005, 5:25 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ewj
The area is more of a mom/pop place with places much better then chains. If you have internat access next time check out citysearch.com put in the zip code. I use it or check the local online newspaper for places to eat.
Thanks for the tip. I had done a search but after driving a little of the neighborhood I wasnt sure how safe some of the places were I had found on line (I actually prefer the mom and pop places, but slip into chain-ism when I just want to be sure about the quality and safeness of what I am eating, so I ended up heading to the southern suburbs where I usually stay and know more of the area and grabbing dinner.

Hey I may be back in Minneapolis either next week or the 2nd week of august. Seems there are a few of you there, we should have a mini-get together.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 9:16 am

University Ave. has some great places to eat. Krua Thailand is one of the best Thai Restaurants outside of Thailand. There are also some wonderful Vietnamese places in the same area.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 11:00 am

Location: KEWR / SPG Plat, HH Diamond, DL Plat, ZE 5*, AA Plat, UA Nobody
PRAISE JESUS!!!!!!!!!! Thanks be to God.....my prayers have been answered!

First Austin, now St Paul.....shall we go for the trifecta??????

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.