Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood @ ski resorts?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2006, 4:12 pm

Proximity of LM Torino to ski areas?

Thinking of staying at one (or both) of the LM properties in Torino, Italy for a ski vacation next year. Obviously the Alps are accessible, but exactly how close are the nearest ski areas by car/shuttle? Does anyone know if LM runs a shuttle to any of said areas during ski season?

Did any FTer attend one of the ski events at the Winter Olympics who can knowledgeably comment?
Old Aug 28, 2006, 4:44 pm

euro ski resorts

So besides Davos in Switzerland, are there any other Starwood hotels that are next to ski resorts in Europe? Not looking to drive or take a long bus ride every day to get to the slopes.

Thanks for the US hotels in the above posts, that will also help me plan for the upcoming season.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by DZMAN
I'll second the comments on Steamboat. Great mountain location and ease of access around town. Downsides were the room and distance from Denver.. Steamboat is quite a trip, especially if it late or bad weather.

Steamboat Sheraton and their associated holdings are for sale in the last week or so.

Maybe some lurker can buy them and the ski area (also for sale) and combo nights and lift tickets on our rewards

Anyway, hope it remains in the SPG pool.

G-
Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:45 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
FYI, the sale of Mammoth Mountain (California) to Starwood Capital was finalized this past summer:

http://www.twsbiz.com/twbiz/features...216683,00.html

Mammoth is big with the LA crowd. It won't be long before we see a W Hotel and related celebrity DUI arrests.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:09 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
The Westin at Whistler is awesome. I received an upgrade to a huge suite with very high ceilings and a fireplace. They also gave me a large fruit/cheese plate with a bottle of wine.

I have been to the Sheraton at Telluride which I am not sure if it is still a Sheraton. That hotel sucks. Its no better than a motel. Also that mountain is not good compared to other Colorado choices.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Westin Trillium Blue Mountain (mentioned earlier in this thread briefly)
Westin Bear Mountain (rave reviews from FTers at launch party)

sheraton TEX is no more.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 8, 2006 at 7:45 am
Old Sep 8, 2006, 7:42 am

Programs: AA: Exec. Plat, 4MM+, UA: 1K, 3MM+, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt: Globalist, Hilton: Diamond
Originally Posted by StarpointsSlave
Thinking of staying at one (or both) of the LM properties in Torino, Italy for a ski vacation next year. Obviously the Alps are accessible, but exactly how close are the nearest ski areas by car/shuttle? Does anyone know if LM runs a shuttle to any of said areas during ski season?

Did any FTer attend one of the ski events at the Winter Olympics who can knowledgeably comment?
Did not attend the Olympics, but have traveled/skied in the area.

The nearest major ski resort would be Sestriere, which is by no means
all that near Torino (about 90km and not the best of access road).

The other options are the Aosta Valley to the northwest, and Valtournanche/Cervinia to the north, but they are a bit far for a
daily drive from Torino. Do not know of any hotel shuttles operating.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so where exactly was the olympic skiing done?
Old Sep 8, 2006, 9:22 am

Is the Westin Whistler ski in ski out? And if not do they have a ski concierge that takes care of everthing?
Old Sep 8, 2006, 9:57 am

Programs: AA, HH, SPG
Pennsylvania

I know it's not like Colorado, but I didn't see a mention of the Starwood properties in the Pocono Mountains. There area also four Caesar properties which are still affiliated with Starwood somehow.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by NITISH
Is the Westin Whistler ski in ski out? And if not do they have a ski concierge that takes care of everthing?
Westin is not ski in/out but you are only about 50 yards from Whistler Gondola from the ski valet. You store skis right on the main level where the shops are located. It's right next to the Salomon store. It's a great location.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA: Exec. Plat, 4MM+, UA: 1K, 3MM+, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt: Globalist, Hilton: Diamond
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
so where exactly was the olympic skiing done?
The alpine events were held in Sestriere and neighboring San Sicario, while
the x-country events were in Pregelato (same valley as Sestriere, but
a little closer to Torino).
Old Sep 10, 2006, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
They actually have a tent up at the end of the day at the very bottom of Whistler, so you can give them your skis and not have to walk to the solomon store. Pick-up is still at Solomon, but like the other poster said you really can't get much closer to the mountain. The goldola is attached to the Westin.

Originally Posted by NITISH
Old Sep 10, 2006, 7:03 pm

Regarding the Westin Whistler, since a car is not needed once you are at the resort, is there transportation to and from the airport other than a taxi? And is Vancouver the closest airport? I called SPG and they had no suggestions. Thanks
Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Whistler Express is the main company running YVR-Whistler several times a day. They will take you direct from YVR airport to the Westin. It's expensive though.

If you are inclinded to transfer, you can bus/cab it from YVR to the Greyhound station and catch the much cheaper Greyhound (in Canada it's actually clean/nice drivers) to the Whistler Bus loop, there call the Westin and they will send an SUV to pick you up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.