Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Palace Madrid, Spain [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Palace Madrid, Spain [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:01 pm

Thank you so much, GA Rus! I appreciate your help very much, especially in terms of walking me thorough the valuation. May I ask is the 5th night free even for points plus cash? I didn't realize that.

I will be there Nov. 1 and what I have decided to do is stay there for 3 nights with cash+ points because I managed to get a suite comped at the Intercontinental for one night with their best rate guarantee. I'm quite excited about both hotels!

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
I'm here browsing for info about this hotel because I'm booking a stay in late Sept 2012.

Since no one has replied yet, I'll take a stab at answering you.

Cash + points at SPG properties is usually a good deal when you can find it available.

I value my SPG points fairly high (higher than most of the programs I participate in). You'll get some disagreement here on FT, but I figure a value of about 2.5 cents per SPG point. At 2.5 cents per point, 40 points equals 1 dollar. Multiply by 90: so IMHO, paying $90 in cash is worth about 3600 points to me. You are seeing a rate of 4800 points + $90 cash, which I would consider equivalent to 4800 + 3600 = 8400 points.

Next, I'd go back to the SPG website. If the all points rate is greater than 8400 points per night, then I'd definitely take 4800 points + $90 cash. Also, if the all points rate is 8400 (or higher), you won't be able to stay too many nights with only 30K SPG points in your piggy bank. Using points + cash will snag you a much longer stay.

Finally, remember that if you are planning a multiple day stay in Madrid, SPG properties often give you a 5th night free if you are reserving 4 nights. If you were considering 4 nights, it probably won't cost you any more to make it 5.

One more comment: when I make a points reservation at an SPG property, I like to do it on the phone (rather than on the Internet). That's because you can ask a phone agent whether there are upgrade options for points. I don't have SPG status. But I have sometimes been very pleased to learn that I can upgrade the room using a relatively small-ish number of additional points. (This will depend on the property, its category, and whether you are traveling in peak or off season.)
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
will be at the Palace next week Oct 31st We will have 5 in our party including 2 tall hungry teen age boys

When I am there on business alone I go to the buffet but it will be really costly for 5 of us

Any suggestions for breakfast near by - a few blocks at most

Thanks
Nice stay - we went to Starbucks around the corner and supplemented with some food from VIPS right next door
like the breakfast at the Palace but way too expensive for 5 people
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Nice stay - we went to Starbucks around the corner and supplemented with some food from VIPS right next door
like the breakfast at the Palace but way too expensive for 5 people
We stayed for 2 nights on the same dates, on a c+p rate. Indeed a great stay and we got a nice king bed and not the poor queen size we had in our previous visits.
Buffet at 38 euros + tax pp was a no no. We went to a nice coffee shop in Sol. B/fast for 2, 7/8 euros in total.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Not so much...

Just wrapping up a two night points stay at the Westin Palace. All I can say is, not so much...

Been to numerous similar historic *Wood properties in Europe and always treated better. No recognition of Plat at desk - didn't ask what I wanted for amenity. Room was OK, but small, one desk chair, one arm chair, king size bed. Took up most of the room (on the *Wood Pref Guest floor).

Free water, woo hoo! And "free" coffee and tea - just a mere 4.5 euro delivery charge - come on - most hotels in Europe at least have a hot water pot.

Shower head poorly installed - turn down service knocked on the door at 10 PM (I know they start late here).

Topper was offer of special "drinks" for Plats - BOGO - for 9 euros for a beer, that's not much of a deal.

Can't see what all the talk is about the Spanish economy. Everything in Madrid is overpriced (see above regarding breakfast, brunch, and meals at the hotel). Am happy to be on my way to Barcelona...
Old Nov 22, 2011, 6:46 pm

Good recent C&P Stay

Had a good, recent stay using C&P.

While no suite upgrade was available as Platinum this stay (on a past trip I had a fabulous 3 room suite overlooking the fountain) I did get a fairly large refurbished room with a French style balcony.

The hotel is still well maintained, and this extends down to the room level.

This room overlooked the lit at night, historic building with the animated clock. Though the balcony door only opens about 3 inches, one can squeeze through by pushing the door to open wider--good for taking photos from the balcony. Later I found out that if you sign a "release" the hotel will open the balcony door for you. So I immediately signed the release.

This room was a wheelchair accessible room--which sometimes I'm prefer not to occupy as the bathroom can look more like a hospital than a hotel room. However, this room was nicely furnished and not at all hospital-like in ambience.

The in room offer for "free coffee" upon payment of a 4.50 Euro charge is annoying. Why offer this? What's free about that? Or can one get the "free coffee" if they pick it up from the kitchen?

That aside, the room was well appointed, the hotel location is good and the hotel a joy to walk around in and to partake of the various venue spaces. The rooftop balcony next to the fitness club is a nice addition--although in my opinion, they should create a bigger balcony space by expanding the seating areas to more of the unused rooftop space.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 1:19 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Just returned from 4 night stay. Underwhelmed with this property. Nothing "wrong" per se, but outside of an upgraded room (junior suite -- really just a larger single room with a sitting area) that overlooked the interior roof of the hotel, there was no additional recognition for plat status. meh.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 3:59 pm
Suspended

a welcome drink, some fruits in the room, some breakfast coupon would be nice and people would feel honored. but guess, spg, does not understand this.

yeah, i had the same experience in the westin madrid.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Just made reservations, a rate 0f 239 with breakfast and exl. tax. So I think this is a good rate.
I made reservations for the deluxe rooms, they appear not to be renovated. Does the hotel upgrade Gold spg to renovated rooms?

As a student I passed this hotel several times and was very impressed. Looking forward to have a stay in this Palace hotel during my visit in Madrid!
Old Feb 24, 2012, 9:02 am
CKL

We'll be staying at the Westin Madrid in May.... any recent Plat stays/reviews? I'm looking for info on upgrade & plat breakfast offering.
TIA!
Old Feb 24, 2012, 9:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CKL
plat breakfast offering.
I thought the Platinum breakfast offering doesn't start until March 1?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 9:50 am
CKL

oh you're right, my bad.

If you stay after 3/1, please post your success(es)! TIA!
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
i'll be here on April 26th...... staying in an Executive Suite
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:12 am

Smile Royal stay in the Westin Palace Madrid hotel, review and pics.

Pictures: http://travel.webshots.com/album/582431157GtQxRk

I am just back from a wonderful stay in the Westin Palace Madrid hotel. From the airport I took the airportbus and in 30 min. I arrived at the stop Plaza Cibeles. Only 10 minutes walking from here along the Paseo del Prado and I arrived at the hotel. Only I was looking for the entrance on the front of the hotel, facing the Neptuna fountain, to find out the entrance was on the backside!

Entering the hotel, one can feel the history in the lobby. It’s a real Grand hotel. Checking in was friendly and mr. Camille the receptionist was like me, Dutch. So we could talk Dutch. He told me that he personally just had upgraded me to a suite. I had to laugh and told him I already knew from the SPG account.

He accompanied me to the elevator, not to the suite. The bellboy took my suite at the entrance of the hotel, and that was a better experience as the last time in the Westin Paris where they did not move to help me! Arriving in the suite, nothing was explained to me where I could find f.i. the safe. Since the flatsquare tv’s did not show a welcome screen I asked the man if he could try to make the tv’s work. I was happy I did, since both did not work and he had to call someone to take care of it.

So I was upgraded to a nice suite, and I liked especially the large and spacious bedroom. I noticed in the living room a lot of beautiful furniture, but it made the room feel cramped this way. In contrary to the spaciousness of the bedroom.
The room offered a round dark wood dining table with 4 seats, a small desk with a lamp, an oval shaped coffeetable, a comfy couch and two armchairs.
Besides a large Philips flatsquare tv, a Grundig musicplayer could be used for nice music. I liked to play the Brasilian music of Joao Bosco. I also liked the Latin music when using the tuner. So I was happy with this music player with a good sound!

The room did offer a fireplace but it was left rather empty.

To my surprise I was spoiled with my favorite wine, a red Marques de Riscal and fruits with a letter of the manager. Besides this, I had received a package of the Starwood Social media team which contained a nice personal card and a travel kit. It felt great, such a welcome from Starwood and the manager, the suite and welcome amenities, I was home again.
It always reminds me of the Sheraton phrase: You don’t just stay here. You belong….! For me, this should be true for most of Starwood hotels around the world, not only for Sheraton hotels!

I did miss a coffeemaker/watercooker in this suite. I like to drink a lot of coffee…, and it is annoying if I have to ring roomservice on a regular base or have to go to the bar. Its just so easy to take a coffee in the morning or evening when one can have it in the room. In the room is a note, one can order a coffee for free but with a service charge of appr. 4,50 euro, so it does not make sense at all. And one has to wait for the room service again. I would be so comfortable to have a coffee machine in the suite or rooms.
I missed a full length mirror, it was not a problem for me but I can imagine some ladies would miss this.
I wonder if there would be a more elegant way of placing the plastic wastbag into the classic wastbins in the room ( see picture)

The bedroom offered a King Heavenly bed, two comfy seats, a small table, a small desk and a small dresser. Ofcourse this bed promised good nights of sleep!
The bathroom was spacious, classic and with marble. It offered a deep tub, a separate toilet with bidet. Ofcourse the Westin bathrobe and Westin fluffy towels. I was looking forward to have a bath here!
A limited range of bath amenities was offered and it appeared to be the regular Westin brand, white tea fragrance. I could imagine that a executive suite could offer more upgraded bathamenities, f.i. Molton Brown or perhaps Spanish brands! I missed a comb.
I always like the small flowers in the bathroom, it is a sort of finishing touch.

Since the bedroom was so spacious I wonder why the living room was not located in this part of the suite and the bedroom in the smaller part.
Though I was very happy with the suite, I think the windows are too small to enjoy the view, f.i. of the Neptune fountain. I guess the windows of the lower floors must show a better view.

During my stay, I was spoiled with wine, fruits, cheese, etc. It was so great and it made my stay even more special.

For dinner I made a first choice for the Asian Gallery. I heard it was the best Asian restaurant in Madrid. Though the name is Asian, it appeared to be an Cantonese Chinese restaurant. The interior is beautiful and a lust for the eye. The same for the meals they serve here. The personnel is very flexible and will try to fulfill your preferences concerning the menu.
I had two great dinner experiences in this restaurant, the quality of the food is very high and if you like it spicy, like me, they will do it for you. In general the personnel is not very open for a talk, and they do not smile. I think one cause is because most of them do not speak English, except for the manager of the restaurant. He took care of everything and made my dining experience very pleasant. But I do think personel could be more friendly here.

La Rotonda is a very classic restaurant. Friendly waiters, in general, can advise you to take the a la carte menu or the chef’s menu of the day. The price is very economic, 37 euro for a 3 course meal, excl. the drinks. Ambiance is really different from the Asian restaurant, and could be more cozy, with more dimmed light and some small candles on the tables to make it more intimate . I did like the life piano music which was played in this area.
Service can be very professional here… Quality of the food is very good, only the dishes are not very exciting. Because the menu had fish a starter I asked for a salad. I was happy this was possible!
I asked if the chef could make a nice salad for me, something creative with perhaps mango, ginger, etc. and they did!
The salad tasted very nice, but without special ingredients. For instance some tomatoes, nuts, etc. I have to say, it was a green salad and an part of advocado was added in the green salad. Different kinds of lettuce were used, so this was a kind of creative. What I did like so much, was the mango dressing. It was just great to taste it and it made the salad much, much nicer! I finished all the sauce!

For the maincourse I had the beef scallops with green asperges. I asked for some side veggies, since I like vegetables so much. The presentation of the meal was not creative but classic, the taste was good. Especially the green asparagus were great. It could have been even better, with some baked ham wrapped around the asperges f.i . The meat was ok, but not very special. I even cannot remember now if I had some potatoes or rice with it. I do not think I had.

As a desert the menu offered me a chocolate mouse with strawberries. I did not like it so much, it did not seem to be fresh to me. The coffee with bonbons was delicious, just as the wine.

I did enjoy this menu of the chef, though in general I like the a la carte menu when I go to a restaurant. I just wanted to give it a try. The price was very economic, 37 euro’s.
I always like it when a chef can surprise me with a meal, and when the presentation of the food is creative. One can remember this meal and say Wow, this was a great meal. I want to go back. But I did not have this feeling.
The restaurant offers excellent wines, but watch out, some can be very strong!
The service was very friendly and I felt very welcome here.

Breakfast was served in the same restaurant. Space is limited for the buffet but the restaurant tries to give a wide range of products.
Cards with information concerning the products are on display so it is easy to find non fat or not gluten products like yoghurt.
All the breakfast items I have tried are of a fine quality, except for some of the fresh fruits. I guess its because it is not summertime now, f.i. the white melon was hard and tasteless. Most of the fresh fruits tasted fine though.
I was happy the scrambled eggs were on the buffet, though I did not like the way it was prepared. It was rather heavy and tasted like “putty’.
It was not clear to me what the cook was making, in the area behind the buffet. I could not find a menu with information what I could order, what kinds of hot breakfast items. So I missed a menu for these hot items I could have ordered.
The selection of breads and breadrolls is rather limited. I do regret the breakfast does not offer large croissants without sweet. It is just another taste when having a plain croissant with f.i. ham. It seemed guests do not miss this in the buffet and most guests want the sweet croissant, what I regret ofcourse!
During my first breakfast the selection of meat was also limited, but was much better during my 2é and 3é experience.
I had a hard time to find non fat products. F.i. no low fat margarine.
Selection of pastries is limited but the quality is fine.
The served double espresso con leche was very good and strong and was served “rapido”.
One of the highlights was the food of the world buffet with the samosa’s, they tasted so good. And ofcourse the healthy smooties.
The range of fresh juices was limited, just two.
In general the waiters do not speak English, so I was happy the small cards had information concerning the breakfast items. Though the waiters appeared to be professional, most of them did not have an open friendly attitude. The black outfit makes it even worse. It does not give you a feeling of a friendly welcome to make you comfortable. No service with a smile in general, except for the lady at the desk near the entrance of the restaurant in the morning. She was smiling and made you feel welcome!
In general I had a very nice breakfast experience, but some improvements could make it even better!

On the highest floor, the attic(?) one can find the Westin healthclub. It is a little walking to reach it, but it’s a good exercise! The regular fitness machines are offered and they appeared to be in good shape…. The temperature here was a little too high when doing some exercises. The club offers a very nice and clean locker area with clean and luxurious public area with showers.

All public areas in the hotel were very beautiful in classic design and especially on the renovated floors. It was a pleasure to walk here.

Thinking Green? I did notice the hotel does not have energy savers for the lights in the suite or in the corridors public spaces! It was a bit shocking for me, since I thought Starwood cares for the environment. And beside this, financially it would be also better for the hotel when I notice how much lights are used. In the room you can find a card, only when you place it on the bed the linen would be cleaned, so that’s one step to environmental thinking or green thinking.

Concierge of the hotel appeared to be very helpful. Especially with my problems with Amex Madrid for sending a courier with my new cc.
I did not receive a map of Madrid, when I arrived, it would be nice if it was offered. The presentation of the room key with the paper inside could have been more elegant.

My stay was a special, a memorable one. I was spoiled like a Prince during this Royal stay and since I have “Blue Blood” it made me feel well. In general it was a great stay and I have enjoyed it very much. Some issues during my stay concerned the breakfast experience, attitude of personnel, environmental issues, my dinner experience, and the lack of a coffeemaker in the room, I have made to make the guest experience even better.
Will I come back? Well, what do you think….!

Pictures: http://travel.webshots.com/album/582431157GtQxRk
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Mar 2, 2012 at 6:02 pm Reason: Merged thread clean-up
Old Mar 3, 2012, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by cawhite
Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay.
Yep its been a memorable one!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.